Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times

Advertisements

I've owned dogs in the past and really want a family pet again. I've got a 3yr old girl ( very gentle, calm ) and an 18m old boy ( not so calm, but still gentle ) and wanted to get a young cat for them. It would need to be one that loves to be held and pet, allow my kids to snuggle even in their face, etc. I believe overall a cat would be a little less demanding than a dog ( walks, cleaning, etc ). My husband is a stay at home dad w/ the kids, so the cat would not be left alone very often.
Any thoughts on this? what about male or female? So far I'm watching Craigslist and adoption fairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I think that a cat is an excellent first pet. Since your children are small, I would look for a cat that is about a year old. Even with your husband home with them, sometimes kids can be rough. Go to your local humane assn and they can help you find the perfect cat for your home. I also check Craigs but it is easy to want all of those pets. I am always concerned when I read their ads about people who get pets and then want to discard them. I personally feel that once you have a pet in your home that the pet stays just like any family member. Good luck. You are doing something positive for your family and another pet.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
I'll second the getting a little older kitten/cat around a year old. Little kittens are terrible with scratching, clawing and even biting. That can be a bit scary for young kids and not to mention all of the rubbing alcohol you'd go through cleaning up wounds caused by a young kitten.

When looking for a cat as a first time pet, you'll want to find one that is lively, yet gentle and not easily spooked by loud sounds and sudden movements. Take the kiddos with you when looking for a cat and see if they can pick the kitty up without it doing much squirming and fighting to get away. See if it will play with a ball or a feather on a stick.

As far as male or female goes, it really dosen't seem to matter much, but I think a neutered male is gentler and friendlier than a female. But I have had good luck with both sexes. Females tend to be a bit more independant than males.

I'd get a black and white male cat if I had my choice. I don't know what it is about black and white males, but they always seem to be the friendliest cats I've been around. They also get fairly large, like 15 -20 lbs. At least the majority of the ones I've either owned or been around. We had one that weighed 25 lbs. I kid you not. He was extremely lazy (as far as hunting and climbing trees went but otherwise lively enough for play time) and just loved having his belly rubbed and he loved to mother new kittens that came into our home as well as our own kids. I had another one that was pushing 15 lbs that would give me kisses all of the time and just snuggle up on my lap and purr. He was also very attentive when I wasn't feeling well. He would lie beside me making sure I was alright.

Good luck in finding the right kitty for you and your family. Cats are a very unique animal and all come with thier own personalities that can make having one a real joy.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Get an older cat whose personality is already developed - then you can more easily match the personalities. I recommend going to a shelter or rescue, as they are good at matching pets with new families. They have often received more care than from homes that are trying to discard the cat.

And yes - a cat is a great first pet. A great way to attempt to teach responsibility (kids don't always learn, but it's worth trying!).

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I'd get one more like 2 yrs old - litter box trained and gentle. Orange tabbies are very friendly, gentle guys (most are male). After you get your new fur baby, please make them an inside cat. Inside cats live much longer than cats allowed to go outside. I know there are many who believe cats must be allowed to roam, but my 4 (all strays and 3 of which were outside) roam the house and are just fine with not going out. Saves on vet bills and heartache when they get injured or killed outside.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i can second that about the orange tabbies..... my dearly departed hobbes was the biggest, sweetest, most laid back loverboy kitty EVER.........

he was about 18 mos old when i got him from the pound and his name was Caesar ..... just SO did not fit his personality.......

they do tend to get freckles on their lips and noses, which can be a bit disconcerting when you first notice it......

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i can second that about the orange tabbies..... my dearly departed hobbes was the biggest, sweetest, most laid back loverboy kitty EVER.........

he was about 18 mos old when i got him from the pound and his name was Caesar ..... just SO did not fit his personality.......

they do tend to get freckles on their lips and noses, which can be a bit disconcerting when you first notice it......
Orange male tabbies can also be very sweet. We currently have a long tail and a manx mix (he has a bit longer stub tail because of the mix) that is a orange tabby and he is so loveable, but he has this emperor complex or something. He thinks everyone should cow tow to his needs. He's very vocal and let's everyone know when he needs to eat or have attention. We named him Simba, but we mostly call him Pumba for the fact that he's gassy no matter what he eats. He's getting the dark freckles on his lips and nose, so many in fact that he looks like his lips are outlined with black eyeliner. He is so round and plump as he is short bodied. He looks like a pumpkin with legs.

We also have a grey and white male cat that is an absolute lover, but only when he's in the mood. He's long, lanky and very sleek looking.

We also have a black and gold tabby with white toes, chest and face. He's very small in size. Again this one is only sociable when he wants to be.

All of my cats are sweet and great with kids and dogs, but not all of them want to be petted and loved all of the time like my black and white ones did and now my orange tabby. My orange tabby likes to sleep a lot and he wouldn't mind getting petted all day and night long. In fact he'd prefer it if he did.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Many years ago we had an orange tabby named Reggie Jackson. He was the best. Never met a stranger and took care of every cat that came into our home, along with making sure that we were okay. Our current cat is semi-feral and not a good choice for kids, but my next cat will be an orange tabby unless another stray shows up.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Many years ago we had an orange tabby named Reggie Jackson. He was the best. Never met a stranger and took care of every cat that came into our home, along with making sure that we were okay. Our current cat is semi-feral and not a good choice for kids, but my next cat will be an orange tabby unless another stray shows up.

that describes hobbes to a "T" ..... he also made the rounds to the neighbors houses to see what was happenin' ......

we never had human children of our own, but he was VERY GOOD with friends' children and nieces and nephews..... i still have a perfect video in my mind of them taking turns carrying him around like a sack of potatoes (he was a pretty big boy) ..... he was so so so patient with them, and when he had had enough, he would just walk away.......

re: the freckles on his lips and nose..... i took him to the vet when i first noticed them and after i had described what my concern was, the vet knew he was an orange tabby before his carrier was ever even opened........

Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times
I answered an ad on Craigslist. This cat is a spayed 3 yr old female. Loves to be picked up, is used to sleeping in bed with people, and can sit on your lap for hours. Likes to chase toys and balls. She said the cat has only been around kids as young as 5, but that she doesn't easily get spooked. Although she doesn't mind being picked up to be moved onto your lap, etc. she squirms if you carry her around. She is NOT declawed (***is that a huge concern, should we do this?).
I'm thrilled she wrote us back, thinking we may be a good match. We are to meet the cat and see medical records soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats