Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times

Advertisements

I can't prevent the skunk, possum and other cats from entering my yard. I rent, and technically don't even have a yard. Each cottage has a two strips of grass in the front, the rest and my side patio and the back is concrete. In back of the concrete in the back are palm trees, a chain link fence that separates the rows of cottages, and on the ground on either side of the fence is bark. The cat food is brought in every night (unless I forget, which is rare), and there are no outdoor trash receptacles - just a covered dumpster, and there are no fruit trees.

I'm just going to treat the rooms with Sevin5 dust again, and give him the Advantage early. I don't buy Advantage from the vet - I buy it online, as I do most of my shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times
Have you washed the cat? We didn't even know our cat had fleas until we washed him. When the water hit - they all crawled to a dry spot. Nothing more terrifiying for me than being locked in a shower with a hysterical cat overflowing with fleas.

Wash the cat, use the flea drops and don't let the cat back outside . . ever.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't dare give him a bath - I'd be dead, and not all cats like to be bathed. I used to have one that liked it, though. He goes outdoors, because he was abandoned and lived outside for a number of years. Even he was a strictly indoor cat, I would probably still have fleas because they're here. He likes to go out and lay in the sun, and I'm not going to prevent him from doing that, plus he doesn't go anywhere. I'll just have to deflea more often.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
CapStar is a wonderful pill that can be used everyday if needed. Although, that I wouldn't do. It kills the fleas that are on your cat within minutes of them biting....you must then rid your house of the fleas in your rugs, etc. Treat again in a few weeks, when flea eggs will begin to hatch.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM

I'd have to do that every day, and it's not feasible. I'll just have to treat more often.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 PM

It is used to get them under control so you don't have a flea infestation.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM

How can it work if he's outside all day long? His enjoyment is laying in the sun on the warm grass, and then he brings his little friends home with him........

Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM

You can kill them all immediately, and then use a product like Advantage...other than that you will be infested in no time at all. Once it gets out of hand...you will need a professional exterminator. The trick is treating EVERYTHING at once. If your treating in the house...the cat comes in and drops the current batch of fleas...and you've accomplished nothing.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM

I checked into it, and the prices are reasonable enough, but right now I have to stick to vacuuming and Advantage. I'm on unemployment right now, and my funds are limited, so I'll have to do it at a later date.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
All of our cats go out and play in the yard and in the woods, so they all get a monthly dose of Revolution.

It takes care of fleas, ticks, ear mites, and some internal parasites.

Fluffy, our oldest cat, is allergic to flea bites so it's really important to keep them off of her.

They all like to sleep on our bed at various times during the day, and there are always a few sleeping with us at night.
Usually there is one or two sleeping right up by our heads.

Keeping them free of fleas is a major concern and Revolution seems to do a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats