Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end with one of my cats.

I have two cats, both about 6 years old. We got them together as kittens. They are both shorthairs. One of them has been overgrooming to the point that she has no fur left (just a bit of fuzz) on her belly, and much less hair than she should on arms, legs, and sides.

She keeps licking until she gives herself sores. She also has the roughest tongue of any cat I've ever been licked by.

We've taken her to see the vet several times, and they have done a biopsy to see if she had any parasites, and given her several rounds of steroids. She seems to do better for a very short period after the steroids, but then starts licking again right away after they are gone.

This has been going on for a couple of years now. We've not had any changes in our household. Both cats are strictly indoors. We've tried everything we can think of or the vet has suggested, including changing food several times to try to eliminate a food allergy, changing to metal bowls, changing litter types, even changing laundry detergent, nothing has helped. We also tried a humidifier, in case it was a dry skin problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a psychological issue rather than an allergy, and the slight improvement while being on steroids was coincidental. However, I can't see how it would be a stress issue. Both cats get along with each other great, and they have very little stress in their lives. We try to play with them a couple times a day, and give them lots of love and cuddle time.

At this point, I'm open to any and all ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
If all possible food &/or environmental allergies have been tested for and found not to be the issue (and I do mean a proper allergy test done by a proper allergy testing lab) then it does sound as if you're looking at a purely behavioural issue.

One possible scenario is that at some point in the dim and distant past, the cat was stressed. Grooming made her feel better, was self-comforting and self-rewarding, so she groomed. The more she groomed, the better she felt. Stress trigger disappeared, but by this time, too late, a very powerful self-rewarding habit had been formed. I will NOT call it OCD because animals do not suffer from it the way humans do. The root causes are different. In this case, it sounds to be a self-rewarding, self-comforting action (accompanied by the release of endorphines) that has become powerful enough for her to ignore the physical discomfort she must be causing herself.

Think of it as a "high" for the cat - one to be obtained at the expense of physical comfort. Probably the easiest way for us to understand it is to liken it to a drug addiction.

If this has gone on long enough - and from the sounds of it, it has - you need to discuss with both your vet and a qualified feline behaviourist the use of psychotropic drug therapy combined with behaviour modification. The drugs will allow the cycle of behaviour to be broken while behaviour modification will ensure that it doesn't come back. Drug therapy should not be - in my view - viewed as a solution of and by itself. Without the behaviour modification componant, she'd start again as soon as you stopped medication... which, obviously, isn't solving the problem.

You might find this article helpful as it specifically deals with displacement and overgrooming. (ETA - ignore the title that comes up on the link... I don't know why it does that - it is the article I mention.)

Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

Hope that's helpful.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
When my girl does that, she needs another steroid shot. She's been getting them for 3 yrs or so, every 6 weeks or coupole of months. I wait until I see her start it up again.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Yes. When Gracie does that, it's time for her cortizone shot again.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 PM

My vet won't try the allergy shot, I asked...they said it can cause diabetes in cats if used long term, so they only use it as an extreme last resort.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the tips FiveHorses, I'll take a look at the article.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My vet won't try the allergy shot, I asked...they said it can cause diabetes in cats if used long term, so they only use it as an extreme last resort.
That's the first time I've heard that and quite a leap of imagination when it comes to serum allergy treatment. As it is ONLY made up of the allergens, it's also quite impossible.

When you say "allergy shot" - what exactly do you mean? People seem to call any cortisone/steroid shot "allergy shots" and that's not what I'm referring to.

I'm referring to a chronically allergic animal who gets tested for specific food allergens and environmental allergens, which will vary by location/area of the country. Then, based on the result, an individually tailored serum made up of the environmental allergens is made up and the animal started on the hypersensitization protocol. It takes about six months (I think, I can't remember exactly) to reach the last, or "maintenance" vial - a once a month injection of 1 ml. Food allergens are treated by avoidance only - but it's a lot easier when you have the list of what, exactly, the animal is allergic to.

This is what I'm referring to - performed via a blood sample:
The Spectrum Group (http://www.vetallergy.com/pages/testingpanels.html - broken link)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
While I always think it is good to know what your pet is allergic to, the serum allergy injections aren't nearly as effective on animals as they are in humans. But just to know what the pet is allergic to can be helpful. The cortisone injections are the most helpful. Yes, the injections can predispose an animal to diabetes, but there are many, many animals that don't get diabetes. I couldn't imagine a lifetime of itchiness and pain because I might get diabetes. You need to find another vet that will give your cat some relief. I would much rather live a life a few years shorter in length than a much longer life filled with torture from constant itching.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
That's the first time I've heard that and quite a leap of imagination when it comes to serum allergy treatment. As it is ONLY made up of the allergens, it's also quite impossible.

When you say "allergy shot" - what exactly do you mean? People seem to call any cortisone/steroid shot "allergy shots" and that's not what I'm referring to.

I'm referring to a chronically allergic animal who gets tested for specific food allergens and environmental allergens, which will vary by location/area of the country. Then, based on the result, an individually tailored serum made up of the environmental allergens is made up and the animal started on the hypersensitization protocol. It takes about six months (I think, I can't remember exactly) to reach the last, or "maintenance" vial - a once a month injection of 1 ml. Food allergens are treated by avoidance only - but it's a lot easier when you have the list of what, exactly, the animal is allergic to.

This is what I'm referring to - performed via a blood sample:
The Spectrum Group (http://www.vetallergy.com/pages/testingpanels.html - broken link)
Sorry, yes, when I said "allergy shot", I was referring to the cortisol/steroid shot that the previous two posters mentioned. I didn't actually realize they did specific treatments for cats for individual allergens.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Does anyone know how much it costs to have the allergy testing done? My vet hinted that it was fairly pricey, and I am just making ends meet right now, as hubby has been unemployed for a full year.

That article was very interesting. It does sound like it matches kitty's behavior, so I wonder if it might not be a stress reaction, rather than an allergy. I'll try some of the things in the article for a few weeks and see if it makes any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats