Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,503 times

Advertisements

Ohio girl & Marylee...first, THANK you for your support!
My husband and son get so jealous that the cats love me so much but I remind them that the other two cats were both sick like this when we took them in as kittens and it took weeks of hard work to get them to be healthy, I think they remember that. They follow me around the house like a flock and greet me at the door when I leave.. They are my fur babies and I am very thankful for the joy they bring me!
Sidney is sleeping in his window seat, giving me some time to get caught up on house chores! Here's a new picture of him taking his nap...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,402,034 times
He is just so precious I can hardly stand it!

And they definitely do remember who takes care of them and makes them feel better. Cats is no dummies.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Ohio girl & Marylee...first, THANK you for your support!
My husband and son get so jealous that the cats love me so much but I remind them that the other two cats were both sick like this when we took them in as kittens and it took weeks of hard work to get them to be healthy, I think they remember that. They follow me around the house like a flock and greet me at the door when I leave.. They are my fur babies and I am very thankful for the joy they bring me!
Sidney is sleeping in his window seat, giving me some time to get caught up on house chores! Here's a new picture of him taking his nap...
It all depends on how much love and attention you give a cat. If you ignore them, they ignore you. This is how they get the reputation that they just sit there and do nothing and ignore you. Not true at all. If you care for them, pet them, love them, play with them and give them attention, they'll respond to you. They have feelings just like people do.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
He is just so precious I can hardly stand it!

And they definitely do remember who takes care of them and makes them feel better. Cats is no dummies.
So true. When our older cat was sick we took care of her, fed her by hand. One day I'm working from home while waiting for the plumber and I set her up in the living room with her litterbox that I cut down for her and her food and blanket. She at that point had lost the use of her back legs due to kidney failure. She wanted to be with me and I thought someone else was in the room and I turned and looked and there she was. She dragged herself to be with me.

Sadly she passed away last year due to cancer and kidney failure.

This was the first time I ever had a pet. My wife had two cats, her and the younger one. I loved both and helped take care of both, but when the older one became sick my wife took more care of her and I helped but she mainly did the work. They had quite a bond and she was 15 when she passed on. The younger one didn't take to me until I moved in. The younger one was always clingy and always wanted attention. To give the older one some peace and quiet, I played with the younger one more and kept her out of the way. Well the younger one and I bonded and now she always follows me, and sits on my lap. She does sit on my wife's lap but give her a choice and she'll choose me.

Currently the younger one is still with us and in good health.

Last edited by thebobs; 07-07-2009 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Update for the younger one.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
sitting here, just bawling away! HartwellGirl, you are a very special person, and I am not the only one saying that, my 2 furballs agree. I will be watching for updates on Sidney, and God bless you!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,236,481 times
I currently have 5 cats, can't pass up a kitty in distress!

They give so much more than they take, little Sidney will give much back!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
I saw your post when I was logging on and wanted to say Sidney is one beautiful kitty, I will send positive thoughts and prayers your way for a full and speedy recovery for him.

30 years ago I found a very young kitten that was near death in an alley behind some buildings so I scooped it up and took it to my parents house. At the time they had 3 dogs and 2 cats but they welcomed the sick little kitten in. It was a very rough few weeks and one of the older cats got sick from the kitten so they ended up with huge vet bills treating two sick kitties. But with good vet care and my mom's special love that kitty survived as did the older cat and all lived to be old cats. My dad and your husband sound alot alike as he was the one always saying they could not rescue every animal yet he always gave in and loved whatever animal it was.

Here is to a long life for Sidney!!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,503 times
Sorry for the long gap in updates. Sidney is still sleeping...it's hard to watch him sleep so much but I hope he is just conserving his energy and working on getting better.
He slept until about 2:15 then woke up to groom himself for a bit then he ate and drank a very small bit on his own. He then laid back down to sleep again.
I woke him up about 6p to try to get him to eat some. He didnt want to get up so I gave him a little warm cloth bath...that seemed to do the job and he got up and took two drink breaks (lapping water close to 50 times--yes, I counted lol!)
I find myself writing down most that he does so I can take it to the vet with me...the doctor called about 3pm to tell me the rest of his blood tests came back and they are all normal which was a huge relief. They just want me to monitor his intakes (and what comes out --sorry if I am sharing too much--but that end is working well too--thank god).
As I mentioned when I began this post, he is sleeping, curled up on his favorite red blanket which got a quick washing today. He seems to want to lay only on that red blanket, nothing else is as comforting. I snuck the blue one under him in the photo above when he was sleeping to get the red one away until it was clean. I will probably sleep with him again tonight, until I know he is doing better I want him to know I'm right there for him. I am sure my one cat Snarf misses sleeping with his head on my shoulder in bed at night, but my husband and other cat Munchkin are probably enjoying the whole bed to themselves lol.
Thank you again to everyone for your well wishes. It is so great to log on here and read all your posts. I am tired and worried and your kind words really lift me up, so thank you to each of you!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Sleep is the best way to heal the body and mind, so dont forget to get yours tonight while you care for Sidney!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:09 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
... They just want me to monitor his intakes (and what comes out --sorry if I am sharing too much--but that end is working well too--thank god)...
"What comes out" is one of the best indicators of what's going on with our non-speaking friends. I have had animal friends since I was 4yo. Thanks for your posts about Sidney which I have been following, like many others here. God bless you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats