U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM

322 posts, read 1,117,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
They said they have four domesticated cats that they feed. We aren't discussing wild/diseased cats. You're discussing something completely unrelated. Please stay on topic.
Domesticated because they're used to people, but still BARN cats. One female isn't fixed yet because she is too young. I love cats too...which is why I had posted the question for advice in the first place, or else I'd tell my husband to get rid of them, however, I'm trying to AVOID that! We cannot have these cats using our home as a litter box though...especially with the kids around. I was merely asking for an ALTERNATIVE to getting rid of them.

Living on a farm is FAR different than living in the city. You get all sorts of wild animals that bring in disease, and as much as I love animals, sometimes in order to protect the ones we have we must shoot another.

As for our 4 cats...only 3 of which are a problem (1 not so bad) but still....they are outdoor, farm/barn cats, just domesticated because they're used to people. We feed them all winter and in the summer they mouse, so I guess they're considered ferrel cats to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 AM

402 posts, read 1,993,833 times
I like the idea of picking an area and tilling it up for them, and feeding them away from the house!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM

341 posts, read 1,339,370 times
Cat's are very territorial. They will prefer to use the restroom close to the main house. And flower gardens are ideal because of the soil consistency. Add to the fact that now their scent is there and not going away. There are commercial products available (REPEL), however that becomes very costly and may not work. Cats love sand. Your only option might be to create a location further away but not too far from the house. Adding playsand is generally irrisistable. Make sure there's a good fluffy layer ontop. Cat's do not like to deficate near their food. Feed in a seperate location. With all of this being said, you may never be able to stop them completely from using their favorite 'toilet'. Cat's also learn by association. I have heard of people tossing small firecrackers at a cat or banging pots together when they approach an area. Unfortunately you can't always be there. Good Luck! Coyote/ Vet Tech

Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
Cat's are very territorial. They will prefer to use the restroom close to the main house. And flower gardens are ideal because of the soil consistency. Add to the fact that now their scent is there and not going away. There are commercial products available (REPEL), however that becomes very costly and may not work. Cats love sand. Your only option might be to create a location further away but not too far from the house. Adding playsand is generally irrisistable. Make sure there's a good fluffy layer ontop. Cat's do not like to deficate near their food. Feed in a seperate location. With all of this being said, you may never be able to stop them completely from using their favorite 'toilet'. Cat's also learn by association. I have heard of people tossing small firecrackers at a cat or banging pots together when they approach an area. Unfortunately you can't always be there. Good Luck! Coyote/ Vet Tech
I like the idea of maybe tilling up some areas around one of the barns and/or the sand option too. I don't think I'll be throwing any firecrackers at my kitties, but I learned something new today!!! I have never heard of that one! No worries, I will NOT run that one by my husband. I will give the other a try. I want to avoid having to spend a fortune on different sprays and/or chemicals. We will probably continue with the tar-mat and rocks around the house and till up some land and maybe their own sandbox and see if that doesn't deter them from using the area around the house. I've had cats all my life so I know once they've sprayed in a certain spot, that's it. Using some of these ideas is worth a shot though. I appreciate it!!! Thank you!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,871,109 times
I've heard that cats don't like the feel of rough sandpaper underfoot. Is tar-mat rough, like sandpaper?

I liked the idea of motion activated sprinkler. We KNOW that cats don't like to be wet!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've heard that cats don't like the feel of rough sandpaper underfoot. Is tar-mat rough, like sandpaper?

I liked the idea of motion activated sprinkler. We KNOW that cats don't like to be wet!
It's not a rough material...I don't even know if it's actually called tar-mat, but it's similar. It wouldn't be even near exposed enough for them to feel it with the stones on top.

I have to laugh at the cats don't like getting wet! In the summer I'm constantly spraying the cats down with the hose whenever they come close to the edge of the house.....one now LIKES the water. Swimming with the dogs!!

Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,839,295 times
I hope that you were kidding about your husband shooting the cats...I'm sure you would bring them to a shelter before he did that right?

Anyway...this worked for me... I hope it works for you. Place toothpicks or some other sticks in the soil. Enough to make it very uncomfortable for them to walk around and get into the dirt. It won't hurt them as toothpicks are not sharp enough to cut them, just sharp enough to poke them. I have also heard that a layer of chicken wire over your dirt makes it uncomfortable for them to walk in and so they won't use it. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:44 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,346,320 times
Hello, I found while living for a time in the Salt Lake Valley that if you take used bottles of bleach (make sure there is no liquid left in them) and cut the bottom out and place these around the house it is fairly successful in warding off the culprits,but probably the best solution is to give them a "sand "type litter box and keep it clean. I placed treated wood as a perimeter to my outdoor box and once the feral kitties started using it they continued. (It should be constructed not in open area,but in more private-hmm...no one likes to use the john in public)

Old 04-29-2007, 03:22 PM

550 posts, read 2,540,667 times
Pi** off.

No, I am not being rude! I had a problem with neighborhood cats peeing around my house so I went to my local green house. They had a plant called **ss Off that dogs and cats don't like the smell of. I used it as a last resort and sure enough it worked! It doesn't smell the greatest but much better than cat pee. I left the plants in pots so I could move them as needed. I have no problem with dogs or cats now. Try it, it works! (If I can find the tag from one of mine I will see if there is a less rude name for it in small print but the large tag had that exact name on it.)

Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 PM

12,123 posts, read 29,926,164 times
Try lime to kill odor. 50# bags cost about $5 at a feed store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or