Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times

Advertisements

I've already told you about my ashes and what they look like, but I wanted to clarify the grinder business.

After a body is cremated, what is left is run through a crusher/grinder to make the size of the bone/tooth chips more consistent (although with all my ashes - 2 dogs and 2 cats, I can still see larger bone chips - but nothing is larger than 1 mm or so). It is done with animal and human cremations - and it is done after the remains are cremated.

I have told you that mine are all a light grey/white. There is a tiny amount of black/carbonized stuff, but a very small amount.

I would probably look into it further if I were you - you are obviously upset by it and I don't blame you a bit. I also find the lack of a certificate - especially since you paid for individual cremation - odd. All of mine came back with one with the date/our name/the pet's name/and a signature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Bits of color in the ashes may be due to a collar that was on or blanket she was wrapped in. We had Mia cremated (our past Golden) and they cremated her with the blanket we brought her in with. It was a burgundy color and therefore bits of it are in there. I would have thought it would have been burnt completely, but if you look closely, it can be seen! DH says because the blanket was probably fire-retardent.
Thanks for your help. Titi didn't have a collar and there was no blanket. I looked at the receipt from the vet and it said the animal is placed in a bag with a name tag attached to the bag. We also requested the private cremation which we did with the other 4 cats. We never got a certificate for those cats either. I never questioned their cremains because they looked alright. The vet explained what to expect that's why this one is so upsetting.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I've already told you about my ashes and what they look like, but I wanted to clarify the grinder business.

After a body is cremated, what is left is run through a crusher/grinder to make the size of the bone/tooth chips more consistent (although with all my ashes - 2 dogs and 2 cats, I can still see larger bone chips - but nothing is larger than 1 mm or so). It is done with animal and human cremations - and it is done after the remains are cremated.

I have told you that mine are all a light grey/white. There is a tiny amount of black/carbonized stuff, but a very small amount.

I would probably look into it further if I were you - you are obviously upset by it and I don't blame you a bit. I also find the lack of a certificate - especially since you paid for individual cremation - odd. All of mine came back with one with the date/our name/the pet's name/and a signature.
Hanna thank you for explaining the grinder. That makes sense. I just had this image in my mind of him going through the grinder before being cremated. I know you know how upset we are and I just want you to know how much I appreciate your kindness. I know the last couple of weeks haven't been easy for you either.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Default My condolances on your loss

I can't even imagine the amount of stress this is causing you. I'm not sure how far your want to take this but a DNA lab should be able to determine if what you have in the bag are in fact animal remains and if they are feline. I do think it could be rather expensive but with out confirmation I don't think that the authorities or the courts would take you seriously.

This would be a very drastic step to take and I don't know if it would give you comfort or just cause more distress for you. Even if it was proved that the bag you have is not your kitty's remains, the best outcome you would probably get through the courts is a refund of your money.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Hanna thank you for explaining the grinder. That makes sense. I just had this image in my mind of him going through the grinder before being cremated. I know you know how upset we are and I just want you to know how much I appreciate your kindness. I know the last couple of weeks haven't been easy for you either.
I am so sorry I didn't make this clearer in my first post! I had no idea you were thinking that.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I can't even imagine the amount of stress this is causing you. I'm not sure how far your want to take this but a DNA lab should be able to determine if what you have in the bag are in fact animal remains and if they are feline. I do think it could be rather expensive but with out confirmation I don't think that the authorities or the courts would take you seriously.

This would be a very drastic step to take and I don't know if it would give you comfort or just cause more distress for you. Even if it was proved that the bag you have is not your kitty's remains, the best outcome you would probably get through the courts is a refund of your money.
Yes we are thinking of having the DNA checked. It's not about the money. We spent well over $3000 since Titi got sick in Feb. I just want to know what they gave me in the bag. If it turns out to be feline cremains I will let this go. If it's not feline or any animal remains then I just want this company exposed. People deserve to know the truth if they've had their pets cremated there. I spent most of last night and today doing research on this subject and what I've found so far is just sickening. Some places send the animals to Asia for food consumption and some are sent to rendering companies to make glue. I've also found that this company did not follow regulations concerning certificates. I'll keep digging away till I get some answers.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,366 times
If you are suspect, then I think you should do some more investigation. It is sad, but you never know these days.

Not to be morbid, but I have found this thread very enlightening...I have never had the (excuse my phrase) "balls" to look at either my cat or mother's ashes.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Quote:
They don't do human cremations and barely do pet cremations. They specialize in medical waste disposal.
I think therein is your answer "specialize in medical waste disposal". They specialize in medical waste and do not understand how people feel about their 4 legged family members. I wonder if your baby was cremated along with medical waste.

I question WHY your vet sent your baby there and not to the pet one and I would ask them why. I would let them know how upsetting this has been for you and how stressed you are over it. The vet needs to be aware of this so they will know not to do this again to someone else.

I have my Mom's baby girl Kitty Boo, Mom died in 99 and is buried in another state. When Boo's time comes, I want to have her cremated and take her ashes and put on Mama's grave.. This reminds me that I need to talk to my vet about this NOW, before something happens to her and let my family know what I want too.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Laura707 Thanks for your response. We have talked to the vet and told him how we feel. He took over the office in 1998 and continued using the place the previous vets used. That was the only explanation he gave us. My husband went to the office with the other 4 sets of cremains and Titi's cremains and showed the vet. He had no idea why they looked so different. He insisted they were Titi's but could not prove it. He refunded us $231...$178 for the cremation and $53 for the euthanasia. We returned the $53 because that was not the issue. He didn't even thank us for that. We are now looking for a new vet. It's a shame because we used that vet office for 18 yrs. and never had a problem. We trusted them...but I can't trust them any more. We're still going to have the "ashes" checked out if it is possible and affordable.

I felt like the $178 was tainted and did not want to use it for any thing. Instead we went to a local rescue group and adopted a kitten and gave the money to them. It was the best thing we did. We've had Samson for 2 days and he has brought so much joy and laughter to our house. Our other 4 cats have accepted him so easily. We were really worried about our 16 yr. old cat Gizmo since he was so depressed and searched for Titi every day. Now I see that old spark back in his eyes and I feel we did the right thing. I didn't think I would be able to love another kitty yet but I do.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Laura707 Thanks for your response. We have talked to the vet and told him how we feel. He took over the office in 1998 and continued using the place the previous vets used. That was the only explanation he gave us. My husband went to the office with the other 4 sets of cremains and Titi's cremains and showed the vet. He had no idea why they looked so different. He insisted they were Titi's but could not prove it. He refunded us $231...$178 for the cremation and $53 for the euthanasia. We returned the $53 because that was not the issue. He didn't even thank us for that. We are now looking for a new vet. It's a shame because we used that vet office for 18 yrs. and never had a problem. We trusted them...but I can't trust them any more. We're still going to have the "ashes" checked out if it is possible and affordable.

I felt like the $178 was tainted and did not want to use it for any thing. Instead we went to a local rescue group and adopted a kitten and gave the money to them. It was the best thing we did. We've had Samson for 2 days and he has brought so much joy and laughter to our house. Our other 4 cats have accepted him so easily. We were really worried about our 16 yr. old cat Gizmo since he was so depressed and searched for Titi every day. Now I see that old spark back in his eyes and I feel we did the right thing. I didn't think I would be able to love another kitty yet but I do.

Ouijeewoman: I know how upset you are over all this, and rightfully so. But, I'm so glad you were able to find it in your heart to take in another kitten. It certainly will help fill the void. May you have many happy years with the new little furkid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats