U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM

605 posts, read 2,464,513 times

Advertisements

I am so happy you have another kitten!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
What a nice thing to do, to give the rescue the money. And saving another life is a blessing, too!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 PM

214 posts, read 605,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Laura707 Thanks for your response. We have talked to the vet and told him how we feel. He took over the office in 1998 and continued using the place the previous vets used. That was the only explanation he gave us. My husband went to the office with the other 4 sets of cremains and Titi's cremains and showed the vet. He had no idea why they looked so different. He insisted they were Titi's but could not prove it. He refunded us $231...$178 for the cremation and $53 for the euthanasia. We returned the $53 because that was not the issue. He didn't even thank us for that. We are now looking for a new vet. It's a shame because we used that vet office for 18 yrs. and never had a problem. We trusted them...but I can't trust them any more. We're still going to have the "ashes" checked out if it is possible and affordable.

I felt like the $178 was tainted and did not want to use it for any thing. Instead we went to a local rescue group and adopted a kitten and gave the money to them. It was the best thing we did. We've had Samson for 2 days and he has brought so much joy and laughter to our house. Our other 4 cats have accepted him so easily. We were really worried about our 16 yr. old cat Gizmo since he was so depressed and searched for Titi every day. Now I see that old spark back in his eyes and I feel we did the right thing. I didn't think I would be able to love another kitty yet but I do.
aww this brought happy tears to my eyes! i'm so delighted that you and gizmo have a new friend.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
What a wonderful thing you did, using that money to help other kitties and adopting another.

I can't help but wonder WHY the vets was so quick to give you that money back though... HE had to pay (or should have) to have your baby creamated so why did he eat that expense rather than look into why those ashes were so different?

I don't blame you for looking for another vet, I would be too! A GOOD vet knows how people are about their pets and how upset someone would be at recieving back some "odd" ashes that were suppose to be their pet.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM

158 posts, read 429,081 times
This sounds like a real horror story... When George passed away I considered having him cremated, but im kind of glad I didnt now after reading this.. Instead we buried him in his little blanket in the garden under the buddlier tree/bush because in chinese mythology they believe a butterfly is the spirit returning... So as buddliers attract butterflies.. thought it would bring some comfort..

I cant imagine how your feeling but I guess if I was in your shoes I would be feeling really angry and upset.. My thoughts are with you *hugs*

Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

1,972 posts, read 3,109,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
This sounds like a real horror story... When George passed away I considered having him cremated, but im kind of glad I didnt now after reading this.. Instead we buried him in his little blanket in the garden under the buddlier tree/bush because in chinese mythology they believe a butterfly is the spirit returning... So as buddliers attract butterflies.. thought it would bring some comfort..

I cant imagine how your feeling but I guess if I was in your shoes I would be feeling really angry and upset.. My thoughts are with you *hugs*
Thank you for your kind words. That sounds wonderful about the butterflies! I think I would have felt better if we had buried him. The only reason we have chosen cremation for our cats is we don't plan on staying here. We'd like to be in NH within the next 10 yrs. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving any of them behind. I might consider burial when we move to our "forever" place.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM

399 posts, read 1,885,016 times
Wow, I'm kind of glad that you are looking for another vet. If in fact he did have your cat cremated, I'm sure he would've been on the phone to the provider of that service. I'm sure your vet has seen quite a few containers of ashes (unless like me, I just looked once or twice and my curiosity was sated) and should've acted just as puzzled as you. I would've thought he would've absolutely refused the euth. money being returned, just for it being such an incredible ordeal (and the euthanasia solution actually costs a MINIMAL amount) and he didn't feel like dealing much more with it to get some answers for you. I'm glad you have a new baby!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,990 times
my sisters dog was cremated and when she got the ashes it looked like kitty litter! all uniform and the same and white. Ive always wondered about it...it was definitly not like ashes

Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
A friend of mine started a business recently selling actually decorative urns. His story will touch your heart if you read it and he has urns for cats too.

Here's their story:

http://decorative-urns.com/eric-jamali-tribute.html

Here is the home page:

Keepsake Urns for Cremation | Funeral Urns and Burial Urns

Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 11,979,434 times
ouijeewoman, please look at this website. I scoured around trying to find you help. And in the meantime, pulled up a lot of horror stories about what you are suspecting happened, actually happening!!

Certified Post Mortem Lab Testing - for DNA and Poisons, exhumation grave site collection, e.g. toxic metals by evaluating autopsy organs, cremains (ashes) and exhumation tissue related to humans, cats, dogs
The Carlson Company LLC
Offering E-Z by Mail Certified DNA and Toxicology Lab Testing Services Worldwide
FREE real person client care 7 days a week 7AM - 10PM MST
TOLL FREE 1-866-889-3410 LOCAL 719-531-6666 EMAIL
6660 Delmonico Dr. Ste. D-425 Colorado Springs, CO 80919
Serving clients Worldwide

FREE CONSULTATION
Providing certified, confidential, private, toxicology and DNA lab testing services to meet your specific needs
No doctor's referral required
Convenient by mail test sample submission
Keep your identity anonymous when Chain of Custody is not a consideration

I hope this helps you.
It's not about the ashes, it's not about the money.. it's about the balls some people have with their lack of respect for our loved ones that have passed on.

It's all we can do, to honor them once they're dead. How you chose to remember your cat, and preserve/cherish those memories is your last final stand. It summarizes the dedication you had in their past, as well as their present wellfare, through your love. If this is some company's way of cutting-corners or costs, then... *sighs* then what kind of world are we living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or