U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,120,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. However, I've compared the ashes to 5 other sets of ashes and they look nothing like them.
You mentioned that the service was performed at a Medical Waste Incinerator" and that may explain the diffrence. A normal animal cremation is about 850 - 1,000 degrees. A medical waste burn is above 1,800 degrees. It is possible that they fired up the incinerator and did animal cremations when it reaached 850+, but on the last one they did it during the medical waste cycle when the temp was almost twice as much. The difference in heat can cause reactions based on the cask being used and temperature that can possibly change the way the remains look. Some cask ( on-site moulded) may be made of a compressed sand mix that mixes with the ashes when removed. Cement cask can cause reaction that changes the color of some ashes based on the composition of the cement. It may just be a chemical reaction due to the cask and temp.
Also some ashes will grind and look different based on the temp of the ashes when ground. Ashes subject to 1,800 degrees will pulvarize diffrent if still hot compared to ashes pulvarized at 800 degrees. Since a medical waste incinerator is designed to destroy medical waste both solid and gas, when they did the cremation in the regular process could impact the final look of the remains.
A cemetory is geared to one purpose and generally is consistant in final look, but a medical waste facility is doing double duty and you can;t be sure if they did it at normal cremation temps (at start up or cool down) or at medical waste temps.
This is one possible alternate expaination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,525 times
Default Hope this helps.

I am in the pet cremation industries, in business for 30+yrs with a pet cemetery & crematory.

Just joined to post about this.

This maybe too much information---

The burners in a crematory produce 500,000 BTU of heat, your kitchen stove electric burner on HIGH produce 10,000 BTU of heat as a comparison. Blankets, toys, & collars are completely destroy - nothing left except some metal parts.

Color of cremains:
*White or tannish cream color - properly done (tan color is from the center of the bone of the skeleton.) If my cremains are not this color the pet's cremains do not leave my business until they are. (Personal company pride issue - just looks professional)
*Gray color - means the cremation was shut off too early (the business is saving $10 in natural gas) - UNPROFESSIONAL IMO
*Black color but dry - means the cremation was shut off 1 hour too early (the business is saving about $25 in natural gas) - UNPROFESSIONAL IMO

*green colored specks - the green colored specks in the cremains are salts in the body that do not burn away in the cremation process.

In a cremation the fire is directed directly onto the body, the temperature are over 1800 degrees inside the hearth (where the pet is placed). At these temperatures all DNA is destroyed and can not survive - from what I understand. So DNA testing of cremains (pet's ashes) to me would be a SCAM - be careful of that.

With the cremains or your pets ashes: It should be white or tannish cream in color when done properly. If you use a magnifing glass or microscope on the bigger pieces you should see the difference between sand (ultra small rocks), kitty litter (very uniform shapes) and cremains (the skeleton remains of your pet - all bone).

I hope this helps.

If you can attach a picture of the questioned cremain (pet's ashes) to this thread I can tell you my opinion. It needs to be as close and as clear as possible.

If you have questions please ask. I do not like businesses that do not do the job they are paid for!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 AM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Many years ago, two of my pets had to be sent to another city, 60 miles away, after that, a local pet crematorium opended........I have always wondered if the ashes I received were really my pets.....or just a mixture of a bunch of pets done all together to save money.

Then, about ten years ago, my veterinarian built a new facility.....and included their own cremation furnace......now I feel secure about the ashes I get back. I have been going to the same vet since 1973 and I trust them.

I am so lucky that the vet that I have known and trusted for so many years can now also cremate my pets.

{My original vet still works one day a week there, he started the practice, now very semi-retired as he is 68......there are 6 other vets there.....three of whom I have known over 20 years.}

Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,551,827 times
i have had 1 cat cremated, just last year. we had the ashes returned to us in a nice little box, with a name plate. i dont think i would ever open the box and examine the ashes. seems sort of disrespectful. also it would be super painful. i tattooed my baby on my leg. i prefer to look at him that way.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,538,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Puddy...it may seem trivial to you but it is not to me. Every time we had a cat cremated the vet explained what to expect...bone chips/teeth. I have a right to know what is in the bag they gave me. I don't understand how there can be flecks colored pink, green, and blue in his ashes. If these people are doing something illegal then I want and deserve to know. Any and every person who has had a pet cremated there deserves to know. My cat deserved to be respected even in death.

Grinding the bones is common- it is done in all cremations. They may have a grinder that allows for a finer output. In Nic and Heather's ashes, there are no large bone chips or teeth fragments.

But the colored flecks though...that I can't explain.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petcem View Post
I am in the pet cremation industries, in business for 30+yrs with a pet cemetery & crematory.

Just joined to post about this.

This maybe too much information---

The burners in a crematory produce 500,000 BTU of heat, your kitchen stove electric burner on HIGH produce 10,000 BTU of heat as a comparison. Blankets, toys, & collars are completely destroy - nothing left except some metal parts.

Color of cremains:
*White or tannish cream color - properly done (tan color is from the center of the bone of the skeleton.) If my cremains are not this color the pet's cremains do not leave my business until they are. (Personal company pride issue - just looks professional)
*Gray color - means the cremation was shut off too early (the business is saving $10 in natural gas) - UNPROFESSIONAL IMO
*Black color but dry - means the cremation was shut off 1 hour too early (the business is saving about $25 in natural gas) - UNPROFESSIONAL IMO

*green colored specks - the green colored specks in the cremains are salts in the body that do not burn away in the cremation process.

In a cremation the fire is directed directly onto the body, the temperature are over 1800 degrees inside the hearth (where the pet is placed). At these temperatures all DNA is destroyed and can not survive - from what I understand. So DNA testing of cremains (pet's ashes) to me would be a SCAM - be careful of that.

With the cremains or your pets ashes: It should be white or tannish cream in color when done properly. If you use a magnifing glass or microscope on the bigger pieces you should see the difference between sand (ultra small rocks), kitty litter (very uniform shapes) and cremains (the skeleton remains of your pet - all bone).

I hope this helps.

If you can attach a picture of the questioned cremain (pet's ashes) to this thread I can tell you my opinion. It needs to be as close and as clear as possible.

If you have questions please ask. I do not like businesses that do not do the job they are paid for!!!

Wow...that was really interesting, thanks for posting it!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
I always assumed there would be more than 1 pet cremated at one time. That would not bother me at all. and frankly it would not bother me if there was some sand mixed in for whatever reason. The most important thing to me is that my beloved pet was properly cared for and respected while alive.

I found out years ago that when a vet offered "country burial" what happened is that some joe in a pick up truck made the rounds to all the vets,l picked up the bodies and used a back hoe or similar machine to mass bury them somewhere. At first I was upset but then I figured it really didn't matter as what is left on this earth just doesn't matter. I know others have different views and I respect that.

I do have to add that my vet sent me a plaster paw print after Paul's death. I did not request ashes but that surprise paw print is a cherished keepsake.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I always assumed there would be more than 1 pet cremated at one time. That would not bother me at all. and frankly it would not bother me if there was some sand mixed in for whatever reason. The most important thing to me is that my beloved pet was properly cared for and respected while alive.

I found out years ago that when a vet offered "country burial" what happened is that some joe in a pick up truck made the rounds to all the vets,l picked up the bodies and used a back hoe or similar machine to mass bury them somewhere. At first I was upset but then I figured it really didn't matter as what is left on this earth just doesn't matter. I know others have different views and I respect that.

I do have to add that my vet sent me a plaster paw print after Paul's death. I did not request ashes but that surprise paw print is a cherished keepsake.
Most places give you the option of private cremation, where only your pet is cremated, and group cremation, where a number of animals are cremated together.

I visited an animal cemetery once and they showed us the process and the machines. This will sound strange, but I've always wanted to work in such a place. I was the 'expert' at making dead pets look peaceful if their owners wanted to take them home, and it was the last little gift I could give them during a time of loss.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,551,827 times
we were also offered a private cremation. we just couldnt afford the extra $, as we had just spent almost 5K on unsuccesfull treatments and surgery for little Mako. we also didnt think that we could handle watching the cremation. His death was unexpected, he went from a happy healthy cat to terminally ill in a matter of days. im sick thinking about it again. **** you FIP. took a little piece of my heart away from me. **** you. this is how quickly i become upset thinking about it.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,489,893 times
We chose to have our last bunny who passed cremated. Up until then we had let the bunnies all be "taken care of" by our vet. I have since learned what that actually meant and that will never happen again. But when I was a kid and our family pets died it was always up to my parents. The first ones that died that were on my watch were my bunnies - that's all I knew to do

Then my Friskie passed. We elected to have him buried at the local pet cemetery. I live in a big city and we can't bury them in our yards. I know I won't live in this house forever anyway - so just as well. We had the plot dug deep enough that when my dog goes he will be buried with him - they were good friends.

My hubby already says he wants "his Simon" cremated. I don't know how I feel about it. We are not religious people. Nobody in my family is cremated - so it's strange to me. My bunnies ashes sat out for awhile but then they got put in a storage box. It was hard. What do you do with the ashes after awhile? What do your kids do with the ashes of your precocious pets? It's not like someone will always keep them and think they are special the way you do. It would kill me to think that someday someone thought of my babies as unwanted trash or knick knacks to get rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or