Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 14,971 times

Advertisements

ouijeewoman just wondering did you ever find anything out???? i recently had my baby and pride and joy bootsie's ashes back and today finally looked at them... and they look white with a little beige in them not much more white then anything for sure, but it looks like they put some kitty litter in the bottom and then some finer powder thing in there, and there is red and green a little yellow a little black and some white.... i got a certificate and have not called anyone yet, but wanted to know if you found anything out yet??
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
I"ve never looked at any of my babies ashes. just couldnt bear to do it.

However, I have worked in the (human) funeral industry.

To simplify a longer story, the person (or pet) being cremated goes through a 2 or 3 step process (again, oversimplifying). IF you don't like morbid, stop reading now. Skip to the end where i bolded again

I'm oversimplifying the process here...
the body is burned, but not engulfed in flame, as most people tend to think. more or less, its more like a baking. Just like overcooking something in an oven. After this process, which turns much of the body to an 'ash' like substance (it is not really ashes, but cremains, which resemble ashes), This is where you would get any color from a blanket or shirt that the body was wrapped in. what is left of the body (mainly bone at this point) is crushed ( i promise im trying to be as delicate and easy as i can be here folks!). Before the crushing any metal pieces (or pacemakers, or gold teeth, etc) are removed.

Now the crushing is dependent upon the crematory and the equipment they use. While you will almost always find bone fragments in the cremains given to you, some establishments will do the process for longer, or be more thorough when picking out fragments, so you may not receive as many 'larger pieces'.

IT'S SAFE TO READ NOW...

IF YOUR ASHES LOOK LIKE ASHES- like from a fireplace or sand- there IS a problem, imo
. The ashes should NOT look like sand, or powder, or even have a consistent size. IF you look closely, you should be able to distinguish little bits of bone. If you can not, I would consider contacting your states cremation society and speaking to them about the situation.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,528 times
I can't offer any advice, but I didn't want to read and run.

I haven't seen human or animal ashes.

I am pleased to hear you have a kitten.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
So sorry about your issues with this, it is very heartbreaking to have a pet die. I never wanted the remains. Best wishes on your quest for information.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
suedonym, can you verify what another poster said, that when a person is cremated you are not sent all of the ashes, just a portion? If that is what they do for dogs also, it would explain something that's bothered me somewhat. We had a 70-lb dog PTS in 2001, and 50 and 80 lb dogs in 2009, all at the same crematory. The ashes we got back in 2001 were not as much as the ones from the smaller dog in 2009. I should have questioned it but I just didn't want to think about it.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevykindamama89 View Post
ouijeewoman just wondering did you ever find anything out???? i recently had my baby and pride and joy bootsie's ashes back and today finally looked at them... and they look white with a little beige in them not much more white then anything for sure, but it looks like they put some kitty litter in the bottom and then some finer powder thing in there, and there is red and green a little yellow a little black and some white.... i got a certificate and have not called anyone yet, but wanted to know if you found anything out yet??
thanks
We haven't had the remains tested...yet. I'm somewhat nervous having them tested and finding out they are not Titi's ashes because then I'll always wonder what happened to him. We've had two more cats pass since Titi and the crematorium that was used is for pets only. They even have a pet cemetery. We also have a new vet. I can't trust the old vet.

We go back and forth on this issue. It's not an easy decision to make. I wish I could be of more help. It was a little shocking to see this thread again...it's been over a year. If you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a DM.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
suedonym, can you verify what another poster said, that when a person is cremated you are not sent all of the ashes, just a portion? If that is what they do for dogs also, it would explain something that's bothered me somewhat. We had a 70-lb dog PTS in 2001, and 50 and 80 lb dogs in 2009, all at the same crematory. The ashes we got back in 2001 were not as much as the ones from the smaller dog in 2009. I should have questioned it but I just didn't want to think about it.
it depends on the crematory and the size of the urn they are placing the ashes in. It also depends on how finely crushed the remains are. If they didnt crush them much, they basically pick out the larger pieces and 'sweep' the rest and collect it in the urn. the more its crushed, the more remains they can collect.

All things equal, there wont be THAT much difference in the amount of ashes between 50 and 80 pounds. Consider this: a 150 lb person, of average build breaks down into about 4 pounds of cremains. a 200 lb person will be maybe 6 lbs of cremains.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Ouigeewoman, I am so upset by this, too...how horrifying . I would find another vet as well, no question...and you most certainly should have received a certificate if you paid for a private cremation. I have never looked at my cat's Humphrey I.'s ashes closely, I saw them when I transferred his remains from the white plastic container they arrived in to one I ordered that has a photo insert and a brass name plate, and I remember them looking whitish/grayish, I didn't notice any colored flecks.

I think what you did with the refunded money is so amazing...you turned something negative into something wonderful, and I'm so, so happy for you about Samson ! Kitten antics will keep you busy and smiling, I'm sure...who can resist all that cuteness and silliness??? Even the darkest mood can't be sustained if there's an adorable kitten running around acting like a lunatic...their very existence emits a beautiful, healing energy .

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
The cat ashes I have:

1- was grey/white and lots of chips
2- deeper gray and black flecks. A lot finer but some small chips
3- grey/tan(sand) with black flecks and very few shards

What you have is normal. Ashes can vary in color:
What determines the color of cremains?
" from white to nearly black and can be colored in greens, red and grays "

Thats for humans but its all the same. Relax. You have your kitty.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
The cat ashes I have:

1- was grey/white and lots of chips
2- deeper gray and black flecks. A lot finer but some small chips
3- grey/tan(sand) with black flecks and very few shards

What you have is normal. Ashes can vary in color:
What determines the color of cremains?
" from white to nearly black and can be colored in greens, red and grays "

Thats for humans but its all the same. Relax. You have your kitty.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. However, I've compared the ashes to 5 other sets of ashes and they look nothing like them. If you could see them for yourself you wouldn't be so quick to say relax, you have your kitty. This is a very difficult situation for us. On the one hand, I just want to let it go but there is just too much doubt for it to go away. Money has been tight but when we have enough we will have them tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats