Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyChick View Post
I've never had any issues with cats up the drapes, while they where kittens or adults.
My mom used to have this heavy, would give good grip for a cat, drapes which where floor length and none of the cats climbed them.

We just provided them with scratch post/kitty furniture and they'd climb that instead. (A few times they'd need some nice guidance to get their paws off the sofa and onto the kitty posts ) For the ones that where outside cats they preferred the trees to climb, guessing cause they got so much higher

I guess this is the obvious solution. Or, I have been incredibly lucky! Even the new kitten has stayed away from the drapes. He does like to hide in them...and pounce as you walk by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
My cats don't bother the drapes or curtains.

They sure are hard on the cellular blinds though.

They are flush mounted inside the window frame and the cats tear them up trying to get behind them to see out the windows.

I have learned not to put them all the way down and leave a little space at the bottom so the cats can get behind them.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM

109 posts, read 242,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I guess this is the obvious solution. Or, I have been incredibly lucky! Even the new kitten has stayed away from the drapes. He does like to hide in them...and pounce as you walk by.
Yeah, the cats I've had have done the same. They don't bother climbing them, but most of them found it to be an excellent place to hide and then scare the crap out of people passing by!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Oh, great...still another new hiding place for the kitten who likes to surprise the poor dog when he's walking by!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:32 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,342 times
I guess I'm lucky-my calico leaves the drapes alone-she only moves the blinds to sit on the window sill if the window is open. We do have quite a few scratching posts placed around.She does go outside but only when we are home- Loves the trees to run up on and as scratching posts.We always know where she is and she is only out for short periods of time. Plus she always hangs out at the perimeter of our yard or just lays on the deck.

Attached Thumbnails
Do I dare put drapes up when I have a kitten and adult cat?-255.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 AM

137 posts, read 233,334 times
Depends on the cat we're talking about.

In my case, my male cat loves to climb curtains to get to the top of the house and just sit and stare from there. While my female cat (more on the chubby side) will rather just sit down next to them and claw them.

Which is why, if I ever buy curtains they'll be cheap and I'll be prepared to change them rather often. At this point I'd rather just have blinds. They'll just rub against them and that's it.

For the record, I also have scratching posts around the house but 90% of the time they just ignore them.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafinez View Post
Depends on the cat we're talking about.

In my case, my male cat loves to climb curtains to get to the top of the house and just sit and stare from there. While my female cat (more on the chubby side) will rather just sit down next to them and claw them.

Which is why, if I ever buy curtains they'll be cheap and I'll be prepared to change them rather often. At this point I'd rather just have blinds. They'll just rub against them and that's it.

For the record, I also have scratching posts around the house but 90% of the time they just ignore them.
Our scratching posts...the smaller ones, are ignored as well. It is the cat trees that they love. Higher the better. They will use the scratching posts that are integrated into them.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 AM

20 posts, read 103,802 times
Default Calicos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I guess I'm lucky-my calico leaves the drapes alone-she only moves the blinds to sit on the window sill if the window is open. We do have quite a few scratching posts placed around.She does go outside but only when we are home- Loves the trees to run up on and as scratching posts.We always know where she is and she is only out for short periods of time. Plus she always hangs out at the perimeter of our yard or just lays on the deck.
Gorgeous, gorgeous calico! They are my alltime favorite color of cats. Here's mine..:-)

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,424 times
Just buy drapes that you really don't care about and that are cheap.

Beautiful kitties, BTW.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,489,814 times
The climbing didn't bother me so much. Cleaning off the kitty "boogers" was more of a pain! It was too much work (and expensive) to get drapes cleaned. All our windows now have easy to wash vertical blinds or horizontal wood blinds. None of our cats climb the wooden blinds. I think it helps that I leave those open a bit so they have a clear view out the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats