Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,100 times

Advertisements

You can have a new valve installed behind the stove, within reach so when you leave the house, you can flip the gas off at the valve. There may be some stoves with an electronic lock feature too where you have to unlock it on the front panel to turn it on but I only remember seeing that on electric. Of course you can also add a power switch for the ignitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 AM

244 posts, read 717,709 times
Wink suggestion

Safety 1st 5-Pack Clearview Stove Knob Covers - Safety 1st - Babies "R" Us

Shelby-The link above sends you to knob covers from Babies R Us.

I love how you mentioned they aren't "supposed" to be on the counters. When Momma's away, the kitties do what they want, err play.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
Safety 1st 5-Pack Clearview Stove Knob Covers - Safety 1st - Babies "R" Us

Shelby-The link above sends you to knob covers from Babies R Us.

I love how you mentioned they aren't "supposed" to be on the counters. When Momma's away, the kitties do what they want, err play.

Good luck!
LOL....Caught that..did ya? "Suppose" to stay off the counters!
Thanks for the link...gotta say, it has been awhile since I've ordered anything from BabiesRUs! But just ordered a pack of the covers...they may be a bit large...since the knobs are all grouped uptop. But certainly worth a try!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
Nice ideas, but really, just pulling the knobs off would work best and cheapest. I remove them once/week to clean, anyways. They just slid off, no tools needed. The prong left exposed would be impossible for a kitty to bat onWith children its a different story, my kids could still figure out how to twist the prong thingie on, but slowed them down and if it wasn't the knob, the lost interest.

Off topic here, but what started my kids interest in stove knobs was when we got them a toy stove with knobs, suddenly they got interested in the "big" stove, too. Replaced it with a digital toy stove.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Marylee- I always thought about the inherent danger of miniaturizing adult things. Take power wheels for instance. But, seriously, cute story about the kids stove, slick thinking on the digital switch.

Shelby- I have reserved myself to the fact that I can't make Ella or Oliver do anything they don't want. If I catch them on the counters, I shoo them off. It's exhausting. So, I just clean 10xs as much. They must have peace from mommy yelling

Old 07-17-2009, 01:32 PM

605 posts, read 2,988,876 times
Scary! I'd probably just pull them off when I wasn't using them. Put them in a pretty little box next to the stove so they are still handy. I guess you have to decide which is more aesthetically pleasing - bare knobs, or a Tupperware box over them.

I have one cat that gets up on the counter. He knows he isn't supposed to, but he still does it - and he doesn't try to hide it very well. Luckily he doesn't jump up where the stove is, he only jumps where he has the side of the counter exposed. My stove is tucked away between a tall cabinet and and short area of countertop and then the fridge. For some reason he's stayed off it.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
Ok, just today I found one of my cats up on top of the kitchen cabinets, where I keep a collection of antique cookie jars Each one is worth several hundred dollars, not to mention sentimantal value of some. There he was, just weaving in and out between them, didn't know I was looking, then came to the end, turned around and wove back, then jumped down from the cabinet to the fridge to the sink to the floor.

So that'w how he gets up there, no telling how many times he's done so. I thought my cokie jars were safe up there! Guess nothing's safe around an enterprising cat!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,232 times
Just when you think you've got your house kitty-proofed, they find some other mischief to get into

Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Just when you think you've got your house kitty-proofed, they find some other mischief to get into

so true. I bought this awesome collection of bamboo spoons. But, I can't use them for cooking anymore because that are holding the cabinet doors closed from fun lovin kitties.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
The knobs came and they work perfectly. I think they look better than no knobs at all...or definately, the tupperware container I had sitting on there!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats