Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,747,236 times

Advertisements

We have a kitten outside, and she's been climbing the screen door tonight.

Any idea how to make her stop? Ignore her? I'm afraid she'll tear a hole in the screen and my dad won't like that. I'm afraid of what he might do.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 AM

80 posts, read 684,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
We have a kitten outside, and she's been climbing the screen door tonight.

Any idea how to make her stop? Ignore her? I'm afraid she'll tear a hole in the screen and my dad won't like that. I'm afraid of what he might do.

Thanks.
Why don't you get a spray bottle and spray some water when the kitten climbs again? She will quickly learn not to.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,747,236 times
She eventually stopped last night.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
i have a small water gun ... hot pink so no way to mistake for anything real.....you can get 'em at the dollar store...... i just have to point my finger at them now and they stop what they are not supposed to be doing.......

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,157,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i have a small water gun ... hot pink so no way to mistake for anything real.....you can get 'em at the dollar store...... i just have to point my finger at them now and they stop what they are not supposed to be doing.......
When I was working with my cat on ripping furnature I had a neon green squirtgun. After awhile I didn't need water in it. All she had to see was the squirtgun. Spray bottles work, but you have to get close and get everything wet. Squirtguns get to be identified. Just don't use the real cheapies that leak all over the place.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
If there was a kitten outside clawing on my screen door I wouldn't shoot water at him.

I would open the door and let him in.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
...I would open the door and let him in.

A friend got a new kitty and she did not want him getting on the dining room table (which he did). So I told her about using a plant sprayer. She had one already which worked keeping "George" off the table. However the sprayer required four squeezes to get the water to start spraying. George learned to count. Ssssss...., Ssssss...., Ssssss...., He would squint and lower his ears (he looked so funny) and just before the fourth squeeze, he would jump off the table!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
In the evening, while we are waiting for everyone to come in for the night, we just set the flap lock to "in only".

Some of them have figured how to get out even with the lock set this way, so when they are all in, we block off the flap with a wooden door. But until we close the door, we are vulnerable to escapes.

Fluffy, Florie, and Frankie just push their heads against the flap until the lock gives way.

Kitty opens the flap by catching the edge with his claw and pulling it inward.

Little Guy has the most impressive method. He runs across the room at full gallop and throws himself at the flap headfirst like in the movies where they smash through the window, but in his case it doesn't smash and just pops open. Although sometimes it doesn't open and we are afraid that someday he is going to break his neck doing this stunt.

So, while we watch TV, a human is assigned to be Kitty Door Monitor and has control of the Water Bottle.

It usually only takes one shot to discourage an escape attempt, and with Fluffy, Florie, Frankie, Baby Girl and Kitty, sometimes just pointing the bottle at the potential escapee and shaking it will do the trick.

It sometimes takes a direct hit to the head before Little Guy gives up.

It varies with the rest of them, except for Snuffy.

We can squirt her until she is dripping wet, and if she want to get out, she won't give up. This is probably because she has fallen into the hot tub and the toilet bowl and after those experiences what's a few shots from the squirt bottle.

It's always a great relief when everyone is safely inside for the night and we can lock the wooden door over the flap.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM

244 posts, read 714,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If there was a kitten outside clawing on my screen door I wouldn't shoot water at him.

I would open the door and let him in.
I vote Freddy's idea

Old 07-20-2009, 01:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

A friend got a new kitty and she did not want him getting on the dining room table (which he did). So I told her about using a plant sprayer. She had one already which worked keeping "George" off the table. However the sprayer required four squeezes to get the water to start spraying. George learned to count. Ssssss...., Ssssss...., Ssssss...., He would squint and lower his ears (he looked so funny) and just before the fourth squeeze, he would jump off the table!

hahahahahhahaaa......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats