Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 AM

80 posts, read 687,751 times

Advertisements

My neighbors' indoor/outdoor cats are meowing at each other very loud in my porch every night. One meows and they other one meows even louder. What's going on? One seems to be slightly dominant than the other. Are they fighting? My cats never do that. They may hiss at each other but never meow that loud. I've seen ferrels doing that when they're in heat but these two are fixed. Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Cats usually meow to communicate to one another, especially re: location. I had often wondered about this, as I call my cat in by meowing for her. I thought that it was a unique experience--something that happened between she and I (I started meowing for her instinctually one day when she had been gone for quite some time; it worked--she responded--and I have been meowing for her ever since.) Then I stumbled upon a nature special about cheetahs in which the cheetahs were meowing to one another while hunting/prowling in order to keep track of where each other was. So it is probably that.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,511 times
Some cats just have big mouths My 23 year old loves to sit on a small footstool that I call his soapbox and tell me all about everything. If I ignore him, he walks down the hall to the guest bathroom and sits in the tub and does it there where it is twice as loud because of the hard surfaces in the room. LOL

Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,270 times
I read somewhere (I don't know if it is true or not) that cats use meowing exclusively for communications with humans. I observed my cats after reading this and it does seem they use chirps, rather than meows, with the other cats in the house.

Maybe they're in heat, or hungry, or want inside?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Some cats just have big mouths My 23 year old loves to sit on a small footstool that I call his soapbox and tell me all about everything. If I ignore him, he walks down the hall to the guest bathroom and sits in the tub and does it there where it is twice as loud because of the hard surfaces in the room. LOL

This is an "LOLCat" indeed! Too funny and a cute picture in my mind!
Bless his 23-year-old fine self...at that age he should get to do
(and say) whatever he wants!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 AM

80 posts, read 687,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
This is an "LOLCat" indeed! Too funny and a cute picture in my mind!
Bless his 23-year-old fine self...at that age he should get to do
(and say) whatever he wants!
Ok. Let me clarify. I know cats can talk. But in their case it's more like screaming!! Deep, long meowls. I begin to think the boy cat out there isn't fixed and calling my indoor only cats. Mines are spayed though. Could they still attract males? What do you suggest me to get them off my porch? They are so loud I can't sleep in the bedroom in the other end of the house. Is there some kind of smell that could put them off my porch?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
Ok. Let me clarify. I know cats can talk. But in their case it's more like screaming!! Deep, long meowls. I begin to think the boy cat out there isn't fixed and calling my indoor only cats. Mines are spayed though. Could they still attract males? What do you suggest me to get them off my porch? They are so loud I can't sleep in the bedroom in the other end of the house. Is there some kind of smell that could put them off my porch?
Cats do get pretty verbal when there is a female in heat around. It may be a stray in the neighborhood.
He could be claiming your porch as his territory. If he is he will be urinating all over to put his scent down. Cayanne pepper will help with that without injury. Also if your porch is small try putting down some sheets of slightly crumpled alumunum foil. Cats don't like to step on it. If this happens only at night try leaving the porch light on and see if he goes away.
On the other hand, the long loud screaming is exactly what my cat does when he talks, but when I let him outside, he never makes a sound, just a light scratching on the door to come back in..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
Might be just horny and looking for a one hour no tell Motel.
Too bad they aint smart enough to know your porch ain't one.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
They're planning the robbery of your house. DUH!!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
They are probably fighting over their territory, I currently have a cat that is terrorizing my others. Now none of them get along. You did say those cats are fixed, and my cats are all neutered too, and were neutered as kittens. Not five minutes ago I had to step outside and break up a cat fight. Two of them are now permanently outdoors (with access to the back porch and garage under the house) because they had been spraying and peeing all over the house for months. One of them didn't even like being indoors anyway, he'd just spray furniture to mark his territory and then ask to go back outside. It has been a real problem for us, and I tried everything under the sun to stop it, without success. The oldest (13) just one day decided he hated the others and wanted to be the only cat, then all heck broke loose. I pity anyone with fighting cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats