Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

Will cats ever relocate to a secluded location away from their usual territory on their way to dying? Is this a common thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I think it is true. My daughter's cat went under her bed and made mournful sounds and wouldn't let her get near him. When her husand got home and moved the bed, he was dead! We had one curl up in an out of the way litter box. My husband thought she was sleeping until she was still there the next day.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Yes, cats will hide away, but I am not sure about leaving their territory.
I think sometimes they hide with a sense of self-preservation, in the hopes of recovering from this vulnerable time, and sometimes they hide because they know this is the end.

I did have a neighbor who had an ancient kitty who crawled into a hidden corner in the backyard to fall asleep forever.

My stepfather's cat died in her litterbox.

I myself had two different cats who did isolate themselves.
With the first one, he was an older cat and began hiding in the linen closet.
I was just a kid and did not understand until my mom explained it. She had our kitty euthanized.
The second one was my first cat as an adult. He lost weight rather suddenly, then began going downstairs to our basement. He was 17 years old and his kidneys just quit on him. I had our vet come to our house.
In retrospect, I wonder if I should have just let him die naturally, but he was drinking water every 15 minutes. How long would this have gone on?
I'll never know.
(I know cats can live with renal failure, I had another kitty who lived with it till 20, but this guy just got slammed, it was the end. )

Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
My 23 year old Cudoh was basically a house cat but I accompanied him outside once a day and let him have as much as a walk as he wanted. He was very frail at that age and I knew his time was coming, but he was not ill.
One morning we went out and he immediately crawled under the riding lawnmower and laid down on the wet cold grass and refused to come out. I realized today was the day.
I finally got him out and made him comfortable and dry and called the vet to put him down that day.
I could have let him die naturally, but I had no idea if he was in pain and I didn't want to let him suffer.
Now his companion cat is 23 and despite my efforts, getting thinner and more frail everyday. I fear his time is also very near.
Death is part of life and when we enjoy our lives and those of other living beings, we have to deal with it and go on if it is not our time.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
most all animals will find a dark secluded safe place to pass on. Let them do that, just check in on them from time to time or lay next to them for awhile. If it last for longer then 10 hours then deliver their water and food to the area and see if they will eat or drink, if they do then they are just preparing themselves. My cats and dogs have all done this and I knew it was time. Even had an outside cat that came inside to a closet before he died... and he hated being inside the house. He knew it was a cool dark comfy place inside the house and that is where he wanted to be, safe.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
most all animals will find a dark secluded safe place to pass on. Let them do that, just check in on them from time to time or lay next to them for awhile. If it last for longer then 10 hours then deliver their water and food to the area and see if they will eat or drink, if they do then they are just preparing themselves. My cats and dogs have all done this and I knew it was time. Even had an outside cat that came inside to a closet before he died... and he hated being inside the house. He knew it was a cool dark comfy place inside the house and that is where he wanted to be, safe.
We've had a couple of dogs that didn't find a secluded place. One that had fluid around it's heart and was on heart medication just lay down in the middle of the floor one day while we were gone grocery shopping and died. She had not been ill or gave any indication that it might be time prior to her death and we were quite surprised when we came home and found her especially since she was a small dog and only 10 years old.We had another dog(a sheltie) who died from complications of diabetes at almost 15 years old that stayed right with us until the very end. I think it depends on the animals personality and condition. You can't always depend on this as a gage to knowing that it is time. Every animal and situation is different. As for cats,it has been my experience that they like to explore new places and hide even when they are healthy and sometimes they do it for reasons other than preparing to die.

Last edited by Florida15; 07-31-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
As for cats,it has been my experience that they like to explore new places and hide even when they are healthy and sometimes they do it for reasons other than preparing to die.
Yes, one always hears about kitties stuck in strange places.

A construction guy told me of a remodel he did where he opened up a wall and found a dead kitty that was basically mummified.
Had it gone there to die, or did curiosity kill the cat? Who knows.

I do believe that sometimes they go off when they sense it is their time.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:02 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Sometimes a cat "thinks" it's going to die. Remember, they aren't well-versed on modern medicine. If a cat exhibits this kind of behaviour, take it to the vet. It may be something that can be resolved.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Cats are very stoic, and it's difficult to tell when they are in pain. They do usually go hide when they are sick or dying in my experience. That is the way of most carnivores; they know they are incapable of defending themselves.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:44 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,366 times
Yes, I believe they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats