U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Her teeth were at a grade 3, grade 4 is the worst, they had to a lot of cleaning, she had a lot of tarter also this includes her shots, flea medicine, the office visit and pain medicine. I really to trust my vet, he's also a friend.
Ouch! How is she now? Sounds like her mouth may be sore for a few days. Of course I'm just thinking of how much I enjoy dental visits myself, it's probably not the same at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ouch! How is she now? Sounds like her mouth may be sore for a few days. Of course I'm just thinking of how much I enjoy dental visits myself, it's probably not the same at all!
My husband just called, they are on their way home. He said she is kind of out of it. I'll be glad when she is all well again, I hate the thought of her in pain. Thanks for asking

Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,188,628 times
It makes a big difference liking your vet, I paid for the more expensive vet in MI and am not sorry I ever did it. She knew our girls backward and forward, and the Boston loved going to the vet, she always got her babyfood.

Between meds for Cassy, top of the line dog food, grooming, etc I pay quite a bit for her yearly, and would double the money gladly if I had too. Thank goodness dental has not been a problem with her, only everything else!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 PM

389 posts, read 3,240,076 times
Teeth cleaning is very expensive....especially if it's as bad as a grade 3-4. The cost usually includes pre-anesthetic bloodwork, doctors exam, pre-meds as well as any antibiotics or pain meds that need to go home, the cost of the actual anesthesia (usually charged for in time {ie 1 hour}, post dental care etc., plus extractions cost extra and if there anything else extra or unusual going on in there. Our clinic now offers non-anesthetic dentals that are a full dental but actually cost less because there's no anesthesia or bloodwork required. The cost will probably not be as high next time if you keep up with your pets teeth (our base charges are reliant upon what grade the animal is).

Dental health is very important because bad teeth can effect the heart and other vital organs.

I applaud you for taking good care of your cats teeth, alot of people really do let it go for too long and then other health problems start and they regret not taking care of it earlier.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Teeth Our clinic now offers non-anesthetic dentals that are a full dental but actually cost less because there's no anesthesia or bloodwork required.
How do they do it with out putting the animal out? I can't imagine them saying "open wide" and the animal doing it... Again the visual I have is of people dentist not vet dentist...LOL

Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Oh I also forgot they opened up her tear duck in her eye, it was stopped up.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
How do they do it with out putting the animal out? I can't imagine them saying "open wide" and the animal doing it... Again the visual I have is of people dentist not vet dentist...LOL
They did sedate her.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Oh I also forgot they opened up her tear duck in her eye, it was stopped up.
My gosh! The poor baby! Hope it goes smoothly from here out.

I am going to ask my vet what stage the dogs were at...I know one was worse than the other but the cost was similar. Of course he may have discounted the one because we were already spending $1000 on the the biopsy and removal of a colon mass (came back benign). See you're not crazy, I know I've personally bought my vets each a BMW by now...LOL

Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
They did sedate her.
Oh I know your cat was sedated...but Turtle posted that her clinic does it with out anethesia now...can't picture that, so I wanted more detail.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Well, she's home and already eating (soft food). She's walking a little wobbly but seem to be better than I thought she would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or