U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,895,974 times

Advertisements

Well that sounds about right! I never get out under $200 any more to the vet. And I have a young, healthy cat now. My old girl (18 y/o when she died), had to have regular labs drawn and teeth cleanings, also had IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). A hospital visit of 3-4 days, always $400-600 a pop, that was years ago. She was Siamese and payed $300 for her, again was over 20 years ago. But they are truly beloved members of the family, so has to be done. The key is to find a vet you can trust. My vet would come in at all hours when my cat had bad bout with her bowel disease, so stayed with her for years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,757,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I took my cat in today for her yearly check up and they cleaned her teeth. Her teeth were very bad and two had to be pulled. The vet said it was probably genetic that caused it, she eats dry food. But the cost is $700 This is for everything. I know a lot of people think I'm nuts for paying that much money on my cat, but she is family to me. Also she's a Ragdoll, and we paid $650 for her three years ago.
dont worry about what people say it is your cat and you know where your priorities lie maybe you think someone else is crazy for spending $350.000 on a motor home
while you live spend your money on things that have meaning and give meaning to YOUR LIFE

Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM

389 posts, read 3,240,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
How do they do it with out putting the animal out? I can't imagine them saying "open wide" and the animal doing it... Again the visual I have is of people dentist not vet dentist...LOL
The techs from the company that we have come in are amazing! We have certain criteria first...there has to be a doctors exam of the mouth within 3 months so the teeth are in the expected condition No grade 3-4s (if there are going to be extractions, bone loss, or deep pockets, they have to go under anethesia). If that's all up to par, the animal has to have a good temperment. We have to be able to examine, do a blood draw, and a nail trim without any problems or needing a muzzle. If that's all good, the techs come in and they sit on the floor with them and get them comfortable and away they go...I just had my 10yr old golden's teeth done and I watched most of it and he did great! The full dental (scrape the teeth to get the tartar off, ultrasonic cleaner {which I find amazing that they can do on an awake animal}, polishing and a flouride rinse! The teeth turn out great, and I didn't have to worry about putting my senior pet under anethesia for it...which at this point I wouldn't have because he didn't need it really...boarderline grade one, but his breath was awful I really am amazed at the job this company does!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM

364 posts, read 369,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Thanks every one. I don't regret spending the money. She is my baby and I dearly love her. Years ago I took in a stray and 3 months later found out he needed very expensive surgery on his kidneys and yep I did it. I'm a sucker for my pets.
Bless your heart! You sound just like me. I wish everyone was like you. The dog I had growing up was a sheepdog. At age 5 he needed a hip replacement. He stayed with us till 15 years old and just about every year after that, poor baby needed one thing or another. The only good thing now is at least he is at the Rainbow bridge free and clear of health problems.

Keep up the great mothering! Mothers day is coming up ya know... maybe she will get you something special. I told my Shih Tzu I want a quality pine cone and a nice stick. I think she will come through.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,280,035 times
I hope your kitty is feeling a lot better.

A friend of mine has hunting dogs and they are always getting into some sort of trouble. He has pet insurance. I don't know all the in and outs of it but it helps with his vet bills.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,842,736 times
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA - good to hear your baby is doing well now that she's home!

TURTLE - That sounds amazing. Where are you? My senior lab needs tartar removal (she's ten and chews rocks so her teeth have never really needed prior to last year...LOL) but we can't do it because of the risk either. Her breath is still good old doggy breath...but I'm sure stank breath is in the cards soon...LOL

Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 AM

364 posts, read 369,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
dont worry about what people say it is your cat and you know where your priorities lie maybe you think someone else is crazy for spending $350.000 on a motor home
while you live spend your money on things that have meaning and give meaning to YOUR LIFE
Very well said! I was thinking the same thing kinda... like women who will spend $2 or $3 grand for a purse because a celeb has it or a guy who will spend high amounts of money on some motorized toy. This is keeping your family happy & healthy!!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,879,497 times
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA - If you are "crazy", then you have lots of company. Count me in. We've spent $2,000 on our 2 dogs in the last 6 months! Best spent $$ ever. Nothing we could buy with that gives us as much love and joy as they do. It's good to read the responses of so many people who are responsible, and love their fur-babies.
Lucky people; lucky fur-babies.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA - If you are "crazy", then you have lots of company. Count me in. We've spent $2,000 on our 2 dogs in the last 6 months! Best spent $$ ever. Nothing we could buy with that gives us as much love and joy as they do. It's good to read the responses of so many people who are responsible, and love their fur-babies.
Lucky people; lucky fur-babies.
Yes it looks like a lot of us LOVE our fur-babies! We have no regrets over spending money to keep her healthy. And I am happy to say she all back to normal and seems to feel so good, I think her tooth was bothering her.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:37 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,842,736 times
Glad to her your kitty is feeling better, toothache aside of course.

Well I've just renewed my subscribtion to the crazy pet owners club....last nights ER vet visit cost us $575...but my 10 year old lab girl is going to be ok. So I'm all right with being this kind of crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or