Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

My "outside" Mumsy (spayed after two litters when I was finally able to gain her confidence) happily lives outside, as do her two remaining daughters (different litters but close in age.) They all have their own little outside lives but meet up at dinner time, kiss and lick each other and eat together. One of them will sometimes do something that Mumsy doesn't agree with and she'll deliver a quick swat and a hiss but, well, she's Mom!

I do echo the poster who asked the OP if all the cats were spayed/neutered. I sincerely hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:00 AM

20 posts, read 89,936 times
Thank u all for your input. Here is my response to yours:

All the cats are spayed/neutered. The babies were all fixed when they reached 6 months old. The mother was fixed 5 months after she gave birth.

1. Why is she acting that way?
- she is done with her responsibility, she no longer see them related to her anymore, she is fighting for territory, she is jealous and this is all natural, ok I got it. I read many website and it said the same thing, but I still need to hear it for myself.

2. What can i do to change this?
- this question pertain to how do i be so that the mother will stay and have fun with me and the other cats? what can i do to make her less upset (obviously when she hiss, she is probabily not happy), maybe i shouldnt be affectionate with her babies when she is around, i tried that, it didint help. She still hissing. I pet her softly and slowly on her back when she eat (that is one of the time i could get near her without her running away), she makes grumbly sound, then ran as soon as she finished the last bite.

What i am looking for is beyond natural. I think the mother is mad at me for some reason, and i suspect the reason being is that i have love for her children. I am just guessing, as i cant think of others. I take care of her really well, i cook her tuna & sardine (real fish btw) she loves it. I made toys and play with her, ran with her in the field and help her hunted for wall lizard together, she loved those moments i could felt it then.

To those thinking that i kick the mother cat out, NOOOOOOOOOOOO i want her, i love her, my door open to her every single minute. She cant stand it when i keep her in my room sleeping with me, JUST ME in the night, she will jump on the window, hissing and become so restless and sleepless. That obviously she wants out. I am trying to find out what is wrong cause this is not normal, i know that much.

Last edited by gametaipan; 08-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: error

Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
She is telling them that it is time for them to go out into the world and make their own lives/families. She no longer has any responsibility toward them for their care. This is a natural thing. She is not being mean. She is being a good cat mommy. Even if she was being mean to them, as you thought, why would that impact your relationship with your cat. Isn't that her decision to make. Do you judge everyone as harshly as you do your pets? What possible difference could it make to you how your cat chooses to raise her offspring? Does she tell you when to call your mother? No! Does she tell you to send a card to your sister for her birthday? No! So what's your deal?

Does anybody but me see how really absurd this whole situation is?

20yrsinBranson
What is your problem? read what i say, dont be so quick to judge. I dont need a personal attack from you as i have read the sticky, if u dont feel like helping please be gone.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
Aha. So you want her to be an outdoor cat? That's not the same as leaving her to be a stray.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 AM

She likes to go out alot, i cant stop her, i dont want to, i would like her to do what she please. If i could choose i would love it for her to spend more time indoor, and if she can be an indoor cat i would be so thrill.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It sounds like she was either a feral cat or an outdoor cat. Sometimes you just can't change that. Just as humans have personalities so do cats and they can't always be changed. Some can change, I adopted an outdoor cat when he was young, aybe 1-2 y/o and he was an indoor cat the rest of his long life. He tried to get out at times but I didn't let him. Good luck w/your cat family!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
some kitties are just naturally more "loners" than "lovers" ...... prefer to be left alone and will only accept affection on THEIR terms......

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
some kitties are just naturally more "loners" than "lovers" ...... prefer to be left alone and will only accept affection on THEIR terms......
That does actually sound like my cat. She wont let me pet her if I approach. She'll wander off with her tail high in the air. She'll bite if I carry on petting her (never break the skin). She always has to come to me. She loves to be next to me, but not on me.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 AM

321 posts, read 853,834 times
My friend had a cat like this one. She had one baby and chased her all over the house until she was about four months old and then started growling and swatting at her. She never tried to deliberately hurt her daughter I believe she was just letting her know that she wanted her own time back. I'm no expert on cat behavior but sometimes they seem so almost human - human mothers sometimes want to baby their children forever and sometimes they want them to grow up quickly and move on. I'm sure that you are not doing anything wrong. You sound like a wonderful, caring cat owner and should be proud of how well you are taking care of them.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
I suspect in time your momma cat will become calmer and spend more time with you and be more willing for indoor time. We had a stray kitty that I trapped and had spayed. My son wanted her--he had been wanting one for a while-so he took her with him to Georgia. She is a happy camper--strictly indoors and he got her a companion kitty to boot.

But--she was not inclined to be a peaceful indoor puss right away. He left her in the house for a trip to he grocery with a window open with a screen. He came back to find she had chewed a hole in the screen, broke through, and, fortunately, just sat around outdoors. She remained a bit antsy for a time.

So--be patient--treat her well- be her friend on her terms and things may slowly improve.

You have done a fine job taking care of these little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats