U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,329,327 times

Advertisements

Some threads are worth reviving. I always check the date on the most recent post before responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM

272 posts, read 53,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I hope you neutered and spayed them all?
Please tell us you did this? Cat owners tend to forget about this.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,755,797 times
My Momma cat does that with her kids, too. They're grownup. She's tired of them. It's time for them to move out on their own and get their own families. Mine are all spayed and neutered, though.

A momma cat is genetically inclined to have as many litters as possible, so of course she's supposed to stop caring about them once they grown up.

I wouldn't be surprised if dogs do something similar.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM

18,868 posts, read 16,050,669 times
Human Mama's do to. And kittens are "babies", not cats that are 6 months old. Those are teen age cats.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i'm guessing that mama-kitty was not kicked out so much as allowed to roam as had been her habit before the op found her.......

and really ..... the op was just asking for advice about typical kitty behavior, apparently not familiar with it........
Wow the first quote was mean,I came here because of the same problem she was having,why so rude?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit 22 View Post
Wow the first quote was mean,I came here because of the same problem she was having,why so rude?
Sorry wrong one

Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,335,888 times
Veronica was a great mother until the babies grew up.
She was new to us, after adopting us, and brought us
kittens. We got em all shots and neutered and kept two.
The babies are now three and stay inside. Veronica will
fight with them when she comes in and she's not playing.
But she doesn't really wanna be in the house anyway.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM

8,394 posts, read 7,506,622 times
Nature is telling her they need to go away now...She's done her job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametaipan View Post
It has been 9 months now that the mother been hissing these 3 cats, her own children. She took care of them and love them ALOT until after 6 month, she started to treat them with disgust. The mother got really irritated when she see them around me, so she just ran away after that and only come back for food. Whenever she comes back or i go out to find her, i would pick her up and hug her and kiss her and be very friendly with her, she seen to enjoy it too as she didnt resist, this will only last for 15 seconds, after that she starts hissing at me, and if her children is around she will hiss more agressively. She was a stray when i adopted her and give birth to this 3 babies, so now i let her continue being stray doing what she likes. I am upset that i dont have the opportunity to love her more, and i see that my relationship with her babies has caused distance between us. I would like to ask,

1. Why is she acting that way?
2. What can i do to change this?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,050,669 times
I would "hiss" at my babies if they never moved on. She wants to be an only cat. Her job at being a "Mama" is done. It will all sort itself out.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 458 times
I'm having the same issue with a feral mother cat and her 3 kittens but they have been moved into the house since it has gotten cold. Will she stop hissing/growling/swiping at them? Also I am looking for homes for them. Will there be an issue with her being this way with other cats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats