Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 89,921 times

Advertisements

It has been 9 months now that the mother been hissing these 3 cats, her own children. She took care of them and love them ALOT until after 6 month, she started to treat them with disgust. The mother got really irritated when she see them around me, so she just ran away after that and only come back for food. Whenever she comes back or i go out to find her, i would pick her up and hug her and kiss her and be very friendly with her, she seen to enjoy it too as she didnt resist, this will only last for 15 seconds, after that she starts hissing at me, and if her children is around she will hiss more agressively. She was a stray when i adopted her and give birth to this 3 babies, so now i let her continue being stray doing what she likes. I am upset that i dont have the opportunity to love her more, and i see that my relationship with her babies has caused distance between us. I would like to ask,

1. Why is she acting that way?
2. What can i do to change this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,073 times
I will give a short answer as I am very tired at the moment.
The babies are now full grown and no longer her babies. Cats are territorial too and that might be why.

I hope you neutered and spayed them all?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I will give a short answer as I am very tired at the moment.
The babies are now full grown and no longer her babies. Cats are territorial too and that might be why.

I hope you neutered and spayed them all?
Exactly--she no longer considers them "her children". It is perfectly natural.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
For her it's like having a bunch of teenagers in the house .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametaipan View Post
It has been 9 months now that the mother been hissing these 3 cats, her own children. She took care of them and love them ALOT until after 6 month, she started to treat them with disgust. The mother got really irritated when she see them around me, so she just ran away after that and only come back for food. Whenever she comes back or i go out to find her, i would pick her up and hug her and kiss her and be very friendly with her, she seen to enjoy it too as she didnt resist, this will only last for 15 seconds, after that she starts hissing at me, and if her children is around she will hiss more agressively. She was a stray when i adopted her and give birth to this 3 babies, so now i let her continue being stray doing what she likes. I am upset that i dont have the opportunity to love her more, and i see that my relationship with her babies has caused distance between us. I would like to ask,

She is telling them that it is time for them to go out into the world and make their own lives/families. She no longer has any responsibility toward them for their care. This is a natural thing. She is not being mean. She is being a good cat mommy. Even if she was being mean to them, as you thought, why would that impact your relationship with your cat. Isn't that her decision to make. Do you judge everyone as harshly as you do your pets? What possible difference could it make to you how your cat chooses to raise her offspring? Does she tell you when to call your mother? No! Does she tell you to send a card to your sister for her birthday? No! So what's your deal?

Moderator cut: A little rude , don't you think ? Obviously this person is unfamiliar with cat behavior. That's why she asked.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-03-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
She was a stray when i adopted her and give birth to this 3 babies, so now i let her continue being stray doing what she likes. I am upset that i dont have the opportunity to love her more, and i see that my relationship with her babies has caused distance between us.
One more thing, I noticed today.
Why don't you keep her? It seems brutal to kick her out after 6+9 months? 15 months? She's used to being fed and taken care of. Why can't you take care of her all the sudden? What about her offspring?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
Quote:

In the cat world, when they're through nursing them, they're through with them. Its not like humans that have a bond for life. This is normal behavior, you can't change it.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
In the cat world, when they're through nursing them, they're through with them. Its not like humans that have a bond for life. This is normal behavior, you can't change it.
They're not entirely through with them after nursing them though, as they still need to be taught a few things. Like how to behave. They wont need their mother anymore after 12 weeks of age, preferably. All though many kittens are given away earlier, because they look so cute.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
She is telling them that it is time for them to go out into the world and make their own lives/families. She no longer has any responsibility toward them for their care. This is a natural thing. She is not being mean. She is being a good cat mommy. Even if she was being mean to them, as you thought, why would that impact your relationship with your cat. Isn't that her decision to make. Do you judge everyone as harshly as you do your pets? What possible difference could it make to you how your cat chooses to raise her offspring? Does she tell you when to call your mother? No! Does she tell you to send a card to your sister for her birthday? No! So what's your deal?

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
One more thing, I noticed today.
Why don't you keep her? It seems brutal to kick her out after 6+9 months? 15 months? She's used to being fed and taken care of. Why can't you take care of her all the sudden? What about her offspring?
i'm guessing that mama-kitty was not kicked out so much as allowed to roam as had been her habit before the op found her.......

and really ..... the op was just asking for advice about typical kitty behavior, apparently not familiar with it........

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-03-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
Your trying to put human behavior on a cat. In the cat world, once Mama is done nursing, and teaching them her idea of survival skills, she's done. And she is on to the next litter. There is no real attachment....best they can be is buddies, but not a real mother/kitten relationship as you perceive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats