Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,636 times

Advertisements

Fineally got some money together and took Little Bit and Baby Kitty to Vet for shots.

Eveything went well and they got all shots an had ear mites in ears. The DR. had a camera they stuck in ear and showed on monitor the nasty walking around mites and their white eggs. So glad that is solved.

Also got Revolution for all 4 kitties. That is expensive. We will be bringing Candy and Smudge in for their shots in a month since this visit was higher than expected but glad we could afford it now. Total price was 321.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,717 times
That first one can suck if they haven't been seeing the vet regularly. Maintaining them on the other hand is much cheaper. A visit a year is usually plenty and it is usually just a checkup and whatever shot might be due. Gives you a chance to talk to the vet about anything that might've come up through the year or for them to spot anything you might not notice.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Revolution is expensive, but it's worth it. You can get it online cheaper than you can at the vet's, though.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Revolution is expensive, but it's worth it. You can get it online cheaper than you can at the vet's, though.
Yep, the Revolution takes care of ear mites too and I swear by it. I checked my vet's prices on it versus buying it online and found he's keeping the price competitive enough to continue getting it locally. It's expensive nonetheless but beats the price of a vet visit and treatments! Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
somebody in somewhere in here recommended an australian site called "dead fleaz" for frontline, etc. ..... i will be getting my next round from them......

Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
somebody in somewhere in here recommended an australian site called "dead fleaz" for frontline, etc. ..... i will be getting my next round from them......
I've heard some not so good stories about out of country pet med sites and best to do real research before ordering that way. It seems that some of the sites offering below-market prices are "front" corporations who actually buy the product from unlicensed and unregulated manufacturers in (primarily) Asia. Just be careful.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,518 times
SPCA will give shot free here, no qualifiers. They also spay and neuter on a sliding fee scale according to your income. Check it out in your area!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,663,953 times
I don't know where you are, but in WA you can go to NOAH for reduced cost basic vet services. Research the No Kill clinics and also contact petfinders for reasonable vet care in your area.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Vet visits are expensive, too. My cat seems fine to me - no signs of problems whatsoever. She got her annual shots from a inexpensive mobile clinic. Does everyone go for annual vet visits? I find it hard to spend $$$$ when she's got no symptoms or noticeable problems.

BTW, PetCareRX won't fill a script for expensive Revolution without a Vet RX. Vet doesn't give RX without an expensive visit.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Vet visits are expensive, too. My cat seems fine to me - no signs of problems whatsoever. She got her annual shots from a inexpensive mobile clinic. Does everyone go for annual vet visits? I find it hard to spend $$$$ when she's got no symptoms or noticeable problems.
Cats hide illness instinctively. By the time they show symptoms or "noticeable problems" they usually have been sick for a long time. At least annual check ups, because a vet is trained to see things you will not see.

While the original post in this thread is several years old, read it again. The two cats brought to the vet had ear mites. The OP apparently did not know the cats had ear mites. It took the vet to see it.

Ear mites or any kind of ear problem left untreated for a long time can lead to life-time ear problems. Expensive life-time ear problems.

Many cats have dental disease by the time they are five years old. Most people do not know how to recognize gingivitis in a cat's mouth. A check up once a year, at the very least, can save you many hundred of dollars and the cat a lot of pain, by early detection and treatment of dental problems.

Vets listen to the heart and lungs and can tell if there is a problem, such as a heart murmur. Most heart murmurs aren't serious, but it is something that should be monitored.

They also listen to the stomach area, and will know if they hear something unusual.

Vets look into the eyes and as already mentioned, the ears. They know what to look for, if there is a problem they will see it.

Vets feel the cat all over. If there is an unusual lump, the vet will find it. Most lumps are not cancer. But again, early detection is paramount. If there is a tender/sensitive spot, the vet is more likely to notice it. Again, finding something early means treating it will most likely be easier and less expensive. And less pain for the cat.

I like to take my cats for check ups every six months. There have been a couple of times over the years where I haven't been able to afford that extra six month visit (and just bring them in once a year), but for the most part, I manage it.

Oh one more thing. The better your vet knows your cat, the better s/he will be at detecting anything unusual. And the more familiar your cat is with the vet, the more relaxed the cat will be (relaxed, relatively speaking that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
BTW, PetCareRX won't fill a script for expensive Revolution without a Vet RX. Vet doesn't give RX without an expensive visit.
Revolution is a prescription only product. No reputable on line store will sell it without a prescription. If your cat is taken to the vet for annual check ups your vet should have no problem writing or faxing a prescription for Revolution to the on line store of your choice.

Buying a prescription item from some place that will sell it without a prescription is a very risky thing to do. There is quite a good chance you will not get what you are actually paying for. The bootleg and counterfeit flea product business, I am sure, is alive and well. At best, the product just won't work. At worst, it may even cause harm to your pet.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-30-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats