U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,787,916 times

Advertisements

Ok, I had another thread about my kitty peeing on the bed. I did take her to a vet for a general checkup, she's in fine health, about 3 years old.

Today, she woke me up by peeing on me! Just peed a gallon all over me, the blankets, yeeech! I woke up to a warm feeling.........

What on earth could be wrong with her? Perhaps because her daddy's gone........she sleeps right between us, now my husband is away on business, has been gone almost a week, she's mad, obviously.

Fortunately, I do have a mattress protector, but it won't contain a gallon! Some did soak through, but I used a steam cleaner, think its ok. For now I have to lock Lady out of the bedroom, which makes her feel even worse, but I can't be peed on!

Daddy is gone and she's sad, I don't know what to do. some said to just get rid of her, but we're not the type that can do that, we can't just dump an animal. A long time ago I had a cat that broke training, peed everywhere, she was a beautiful orange & white Maine Coon, I tried everything, tried to find her another home, finally I had her PTS, I still feel awful about it, but couldn't find any other solution, and refused to give her to a "good home" without full disclosure of her habits, otherwise, the new owners would just dump her, unless I found someone willing to take her problems and all I figured it was better to let her go and not be abused.

I hope I don't have to do the same with Lady. Believe me, I treasure my pets and would never use euthanisizing as a solution without exploring every option first.

BTW, Daddy isn't coming home. My husband finally, after almost a year of unemployment, found a new job. He's living in corporate housing until we can all move and sell the house, which will be awhile, I don't anticipate selling the house until next Spring, so Lady will have awhile, except for weekend visits.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,260,246 times
You could offer her a few extra litter boxes...maybe she'll find one in a different location that she prefers. Try different brands of litter in the extra boxes...some cats can be picky about the brands of litter.

I think euthanasia is a little harsh for a cat with litter box issues. That's just my opinion. I just PTS a cat six weeks ago who was very sick. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I could not imagine doing that to a healthy cat with litter box issues. That just seems too extreme a solution.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,787,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
You could offer her a few extra litter boxes...maybe she'll find one in a different location that she prefers. Try different brands of litter in the extra boxes...some cats can be picky about the brands of litter.

I think euthanasia is a little harsh for a cat with litter box issues. That's just my opinion. I just PTS a cat six weeks ago who was very sick. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I could not imagine doing that to a healthy cat with litter box issues. That just seems too extreme a solution.
No, don't misunderstand me, I'm not going to have Lady PTS for litter box problems. I just said we did have to do that with one cat, but she had so many behavioral problems we couldn't correct, and wouldn't give her to anyone else to abuse, it was the best decision at the time, albeit a difficult one, but one I always regretted.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
... Today, she woke me up by peeing on me! Just peed a gallon all over me, the blankets, yeeech! I woke up to a warm feeling.........

What on earth could be wrong with her? Perhaps because her daddy's gone........she sleeps right between us, now my husband is away on business, has been gone almost a week, she's mad, obviously. Any suggestions?
One thing which often works is an increase in attention and toys. Some cats are very emotional and when something changes it's often very hard for them to adjust which is when they start the peeing routine - and, yes, one of mine peed on me a couple of nights in a row some years back when a "newbie" joined the household!

Catnip, new fun toys, lots of extra attention and special food treats usually work for me - and for the cat, too.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM

11,874 posts, read 9,593,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Now this sounds like a good idea - and don't know about yours, but my Albert loves the fresh and clean smell of fresh step. He's an adopted street cat, so go figure that he prefers the most expensive brand of litter (at least here). Maybe as well, like ouijeewoman pointed out, your kittie just doesn't like where her box is located? Some like theirs in the bathroom so the whole family can go together others don't care. But maybe try this and see which one she prefers. Also STT had a good idea about special treats or maybe even use one of your DH T-shirts that still smells like him and stuff a pillow in it and put on his side of the bed - fake her out so to speak. Maybe if she smells him on something soft (like a body) then she'll 'think' he's there? Cats are smart, but even cats can be faked out. So I can't resist posting a pic of my baby right after I first rescued him. We've been together 3 years next month

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
What a great idea to use one of his t-shirts and make a pillow for her! Also, another cutie in the photo!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What a great idea to use one of his t-shirts and make a pillow for her! Also, another cutie in the photo!
Thank you ladies! He is a cutie - course he's grown up now and a handful, but he's a man so what can I say LOL Hope the T shirt idea works. Fingers crossed and everything else I can still cross

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM

7,343 posts, read 7,135,017 times
Have you tried Feliway yet?

It has worked wonders for Emma, who was returned to the rescue organization because of emotional urination issues. Feliway has been a godsend to her and to us.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
What a zonked out look! Maybe also some catnip on the DH's side of the bed?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Have you tried Feliway yet?

It has worked wonders for Emma, who was returned to the rescue organization because of emotional urination issues. Feliway has been a godsend to her and to us.
How precious! She's just adorable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats