Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

Just last week I came across a pathetic situation. I found two cats that were apparently abandonded. Both were healthy, well-fed, appeared socialized, humanized, obviously not ferral. They were just sitting there, near some bushes, looking confused. Upon further investigation, I found several bowls of food and water, and a little "house" of sorts made of 2 plywood boxes put together for a shelter. The food dishes were recently filled.

Those poor things were someone's pet, recently abandonded. Probably someone lost their home, had to move, couldn't take their pets, so left them. I thought perhaps they were feeding them and would come back for them, but I went the next night and their food and water dishes were empty, no one came back. So I've been taking care of them, fill up their food and water every night, each night the dishes are empty. I don't see the kitties again, they've learned to lay low, but obviously something's eating it.

I wish I could capture these poor things, but we have 6 cats already, all abused strays. I just hope I don't get a fine or ticket for feeding ferral cats. I was wondering about caputring them and taking to a shelter, but all the shelters around here are full, many have waiting lists, all they will do is euthansize any newcomers. Perhaps that's what the owners realized and chose to abandon them, instead.

It must have been so hard to leave them, they weren't just dumped, they were left in a well-thought out location, and obviously left with love. These are such nice kitties, I wish I could do more, for right now just keep their food and water bowls fill. What a sign of the economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Sometimes just keeping their food and water bowls full is all you can do.

Here in San Diego, there is a junkyard and it's called "cat village." The number of cats fluctuates, because people dump them there. But there are people that keep the food and water bowls full on a regular basis (2x day), and all the feral cats have been spayed and neutered. If a cat(s) appear that have been owned and are tame, then they go to a foster home, if a new feral cat shows up, it gets trapped and spayed or neutered. The cats have shelter, toys, cat condos, and are happy. I've seen as many as 30 at one time. There's a thrift store about a block away, and when I go to it, I always go see the cats, even though they won't come near me.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM

I considered trapping to spay and neuter, but probably these cats have already been altered, they look like kept pets.I think their former owners put them somewhere secluded, but near people, so someone would see them and care for them. It worked, attracted my attention.

My son was with me, he cried to think people had to leave their kitties. At least it opened his eyes to what he has. My kids help, we go every night to feed them, but I'm a little concerned the owners of the nearby strip mall might object, so I try to go at different times, not to establish a pattern, use different vehicles, not be too obvious.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM

42 posts, read 153,622 times
Good luck with the kitties!

I was so surprised when I read your post as I had no idea one could get fined for feeding stray cats. Perhaps I shouldn't be though... I once turned in a mother and her litter that had taken up residence in the yard of a house I was renting. Because I admitted to having fed them, they insisted that I was the owner and then proceeded to make me feel like ---- as if I had given up my own pets. And here I thought I was doing a good thing.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:16 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
God bless all of you for the wonderful things you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace07 View Post
Good luck with the kitties!

I was so surprised when I read your post as I had no idea one could get fined for feeding stray cats. Perhaps I shouldn't be though... I once turned in a mother and her litter that had taken up residence in the yard of a house I was renting. Because I admitted to having fed them, they insisted that I was the owner and then proceeded to make me feel like ---- as if I had given up my own pets. And here I thought I was doing a good thing.
I think i TX if you feed a stray for 3 consectuive days they consider them to be yours, then you get into legal liability if they bite/scratch someone. So, I sneak around, different times, different vehicles, to feed my kitties.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 PM

Many years ago my dad and I found a dog in such pitiful condition I can't describe it. We took it to the SPCA, we were in an apt then and couldn't keep animals, besides, it was at death's door. The guy took one look at the dog and started berating my Dad, is that your dog? You ought to be arrested for animal cruelty. Here my Dad drove 20 miles to the shelter to get it some help and was accused of cruelty. Dad just left the dog on the counter and hightailed it out of there, he'd done all he could, he was going to make a donation but felt it better to get out of there before any accusations could be applied, also, was going to write out a check, didn't want anything traceable. Went home and mailed in a donation instead.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
we just had a darling kitty show up on our porch about a week ago. Looks like a MC mix, but little, and maybe some munchkin in him/her because the legs are quite short. Little tabby, and as lovey as can be. Looks to be in terrific health, and is either rather chubby, or pregnant. Ive never seen him/her before, and to suddenly show up on our deck. Very odd. Ironcially enough, Iggy is just fine with him/her. He seems relieved that there is another kitty that we can coo over, pick up and snuggle. The kids took him/her all over the neighborhood, asking if anyone knew whos he/she was. nobody knew. Some people said theyve seen him/her around, but no idea on the actual owner. Ive got ads in the papers, craigs list, and the shelter, not a single nibble on this sweetheart. Husband really really REALLY doesnt want this kitty to become ours, but I have other ideas. Hopefully I can get him/her to a vet next week to see whats up.
To think someone might have dumped him/her just breaks my heart.
I'll have to try to post some pics soon..... but yeah, ive been sneaking him/her food and ive got a bowl i keep full of fresh water out for him/her too. so this makes him/her mine?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM

I drove by tonight and saw someone else feeding "my kitties". they were trying to catch one, I think it will have a home soon. There's others there. I just stayed away, will go back tomorrow, didn't want to get involved with someone else, you never know if they would accuse me of abandonding them when I'm trying to help, like my Dad and the dog he took to the SPCA. I prefer to remain anonymous!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Many years ago my dad and I found a dog in such pitiful condition I can't describe it. We took it to the SPCA, we were in an apt then and couldn't keep animals, besides, it was at death's door. The guy took one look at the dog and started berating my Dad, is that your dog? You ought to be arrested for animal cruelty. Here my Dad drove 20 miles to the shelter to get it some help and was accused of cruelty. Dad just left the dog on the counter and hightailed it out of there, he'd done all he could, he was going to make a donation but felt it better to get out of there before any accusations could be applied, also, was going to write out a check, didn't want anything traceable. Went home and mailed in a donation instead.
Once again thank you for being an animal lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats