Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times

Advertisements

Does anybody out there have or had a diabetic cat?

I last week found out my cat is diabetic. We have no idea how old he is, but the vets guess is over 10. He was a stray that wondered over to my friends house. The reason he has missing teeth, is he's been declawed up front. We have no idea how long he had been living rough.

When he went into the vet his blood sugar was like 668!

After two days at the vet he was allowed to come home.

He went back (Friday) about a week after being a confirmed diabetic for his big curve test.

His blood sugar was back up in the 663! So instead of one unit of insulin in the AM, he gets two units and the one unit in the PM.

We'll see how this does for him.

Does anybody else have diabetic cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I gave insulin to a cat for several years; he finally died of old age. It's a miracle a declawed cat survived on his own. It's not a problem to give inmsulin and they can lead happy lives.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Oh yeah,

He's taking to his insulin very well. He's discovered he gets CANNED cat food after wards. So he patiently waits for his 'breakfast' or 'dinner'. He's even taking to waking up myself or my mother a little bit early for his breakfast.

I know it's quite amazing he lived on his own for so long being front declawed.

He's getting back to his old self...going outside with me as I do yard work, investigate the neigbors back yard, napping on the front porch.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
I had a diabetic cat and there is a wonderful web site with great information. It is www.yourdiabeticcat.com and there's a lot of stuff on there to help you with this. If your cat follows a strict gluten free diet, his diabetes can go in remission and go off the juice(no insulin shots). It's not a death sentence for a cat to have diabetes.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I had a diabetic cat and there is a wonderful web site with great information. It is www.yourdiabeticcat.com and there's a lot of stuff on there to help you with this. If your cat follows a strict gluten free diet, his diabetes can go in remission and go off the juice(no insulin shots). It's not a death sentence for a cat to have diabetes.
My DD managed this w/one of her cats. Also, be aware that they can suddenly get much better and no longer need the same dose (unlike hiumans). Mine got very lethargic so I took him in - his glucose was 68. Just watch him carefully for any changes.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the web site!

Right now we're trying to get the cat balenced out. He goes back either end of this week or next for another curve study to see how he is doing.

We're watching him closely to see if there are any changes to his behavior.

Right now all he wants to do is eat and is trying to con us out of a can of food every time we walk into the kitchen. So instead of a can we give him 'warm supper'. Since the vet said he could eat dry whenever he wants, we wet his dry food down with warm water and turn into soup, due to the fact he's lost teeth from living rough.

We're also mixing dry food with his canned.

He also lost weight and he's trying to gain it back too.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Just one piece of advice...you can't always trust what a vet tells you. I can't remember the name of the website but it is all about cat's nutrition and it is from a vet, Lisa Pierson I think. I know there are some fellow cat lovers on here who directed me to her site. Can any one put up that website on here? It will really open your eyes! There are dry foods out there that are gluten free.

You can also buy a glucose monitor and check your cat's blood sugar at home. When the numbers are low, the last thing you want to do is give your cat a shot.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Vets are like doctors, sometimes a second word is a good thing. Luckily, my vet is cat nut. He would like to do a cats only clinic. But we already have one in town and two would be too much. He's had several clinic cats over the years. He's currently got two, and one is named Peg and only has three legs.

I'll run a search and see if I can find the web site.

So far my cats doing fine. As I said, it's only been a week.

This doesn't shock me at all that he's diabetic given the fact we don't know how long he lived out n the rough. At least he's got the good life now!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM

I found the website I was talking about. www.catnutrition.org

Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Awesome. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats