Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,876 times

Advertisements

I have a 15 1/2 yr male cat. He has been the only one for all this time. He has been on predisolone for 2 yrs for IBD and had a stroke in Feb '09. It was supposed he might die within 2 weeks. Within a few days he recovered but his eyesight was affected. His left leg and paw are not quite as strong as before, otherwise he is fine. At his July checkup I asked the vet if he thought it was okay if a brought home a 4 month female to be his companion. He said okay, if it didnt work out they would take her back and fine another home. So I tried it. Though I have had a cat or cat(s) for 40 years, I have never tried to introduce him to a cat to live with o his territory. I thought is would take a week or so (but since then have been told its more like 2 months) Anyhow, I got scared after three weeks even though they were slowly making progress, older cat was still hissing/growling, and I was worried he was stressed and gave kitty to another home with a kitten. I didn't realize how much I would miss her and he does too! He goes around looking for her, and it is breaking my heart. I feel I gave up too soon. What should I do? Someone told me that as she grew older, stonger and kept wanting to play it would stress him out. Did I do the right thing for all concerned? I really loved the kitten and wanted the best for her as well as my dear cat. Should I try again with a kitten or older cat? I feel that the kitty was reminding him of his littermate sister when I adopted him 15 1/2yrs ago.

Last edited by ngandjean; 08-18-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: add age again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Try an older, less active cat. Go to the shelter or petfinder and pick out one, then visit to make sure you like her. He will do better with a companion but one who is not as rough and playful as a kitten. A t20 y/o or older would be great!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Try an older, less active cat. Go to the shelter or petfinder and pick out one, then visit to make sure you like her. He will do better with a companion but one who is not as rough and playful as a kitten. A t20 y/o or older would be great!
I sure hope you find a nice companion for your friend!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngandjean View Post
Someone told me that as she grew older, stonger and kept wanting to play it would stress him out.
As an opinion - which what the above is, and all it is - I disagree. A cat that grows up with another cat is likely to have learned where the boundries are and respect them or risk a good swipe. Of course there's always going to be the exception that just keeps pushing, but that shouldn't be anything you can't handle with some physical separation if and when required.

As for whether or not you did the right or the wrong thing.... that is a decision of conscious. You did what you did for all the best possible motives. Whether it was "right" or "wrong" (is there a right or wrong in this case?) is really a moot point and it's not going to do you any favours to think along those lines.

It's a double edged sword in many ways. While I understand why SouthernBelle is suggesting what she has, it may not be the best solution for the following reason: a young cat will, potentially, be more accepting of the older status and not try to challenge it. An older cat might be less willing to kowtow to the resident cat.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to temperment - that has to be the number one critierium on your list.

We have a female cat that's now about 18 months - 2 years old. She only plays by herself - as far as she is concerned, other cats are for company and getting your head cleaned, but not playing which she only does on a rare occasion anyway. All in all, she's just not a playful cat (never was, we've had her since she's about 4-5 months) but likes the company of other cats.

If you think a companion is in order for your cat, you need to look for a specific temperment rather than age or gender or anything else. You need a nice quiet cat who likes other cats and isn't overly playful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats