Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm kat, and I have a 10 year old cat named Peanut.

Peanut is an....unusual cat. I got her as a kitten with 4 of her siblings from a litter my brother didn't have time to attend. Peanut was the runt, and she was the last to be adopted. She came right back in one week due to something called allergy asthma.

Well now, what was I going to do with a cat?

Actually.....the story should read, "What should Peanut do with a human?"

Peanut got her name from tearing to shreds a bag of peanuts when she was 8 weeks old. I found each and every peanut under my refrigerator, oven, pantry, and bathroom towels. So Peanut she shall be called. And she was a mess.

Peanut is a "bathroom cat". Meaning, a bowl of fresh water will not do. She must have running water from the faucet you see. Oh I tried to break her of that, trust me. However, Peanut had different ideas. She proceeded to crash all of my bathroom pictures from the wall with one swing of her paw, to the floor. When I hung new pictures up? This crazy kitten would watch in the reflection of the glass of the picture to see just how close behind her I was for a fair swat!

She was too quick for this old gal, off and away she was until I would turn on the bathroom sink water. Well, I certainly wanted payment for my broken items, so I trained Peanut to give me "noggin". Noggin in our house to Peanut is the rubbing of her head, sometimes a full on head butt into mine, as payment for running bathroom sink water. Peanut knows two noggins will get her fresh water. I was solid and determined not to be bossed around by this runt kitten from Satan's litter......

Well now, when you are "stuck" with a kitten you didn't sign up for, and she's as bossy as a cat can be, there must be compromise, am I right? Lots of broken glasses, dishes, and beautiful artwork in the trash because of this little mischief squatter who wouldn't go away!

So....a few months later, I decided she would be an indoor cat. I wanted her spayed you see.

I wanted her to be free from ticks and fleas. Two broken windows and a screen said kindly, "I am an Indoor/Outdoor cat at my request lady." And so it was. Peanut had her way. AGAIN.

I was stuck with the cat from Hell.

7 months went by, and I came home to call the Peanut, but she never came. I looked everywhere in my small apartment for this tiny runt cat, and finally found her in the fetal position under my futon couch.

"Hey you, what's wrong? Nothing to break today? No one here to turn on water I pay for you little crazy kitten?" Nothing.
Not a single glance at me. She just looked at the wall, sighed, and went back to sleep.

I picked up the couch and the kitten, and she laid limp in my hands. This tiny black and white ball of mischief didn't have it in her to fight me, and this would not do you see. I kinda needed to know why her spirit was gone as such a young age.

I took her to the vet and found out she had chewed up the berber carpet that day, and it wound around her little belly. I was a single girl, didn't have much money, and didn't know what to do. He said the surgery to cut out the string and sew Peanut back up was going to cost me $964.00. But....I could have her put to sleep.

Put to sleep. Wow what a thing to have to decide?

I was left alone in the office to make my quick decision, a decision that I would have to carry for the rest of my life. I only had $200 in my bank account and that would cover her euthanasia and fees. That was all I had, so that was my decision.

I told the vet to make the arrangements. He said I could say goodbye to the little Hellion on my way out if I'd like.
Honestly, I was too much of a coward to do that, I felt guilty already and didn't want to see her suffer because I was poor. As I walked by her cage which just happened to be in a hallway to the exit door, I saw a familiar white paw reach out at me. I turned and looked, and there was my Hellion cat reaching her paw through the cage.

I walked over to her and took her paw as she looked at me. I said, "Peanut? If I save your life, you'll have to be my best friend and companion all the days we are left together you know. That means every picture you break, every screen you claw, every peanut bag you bust, you're gonna have to pay me with lots of noggins you little terd." She reached out with her other paw.

Deal it was.

I went sobbing back to the vet and asked if he took payments for the surgery. I handed him my last penny to save a cat I didn't even like.

And it was the best decision I ever made.

Peanut went on to bear 4 kittens on Easter one year later. I had never had a cat with kittens so birth was new to me. At 4 am Easter morning, she pawed my face and meowed in pain. I took her to the box we made weeks before in the closet and waited. No kittens yet, so I went back to sleep.

A few moments later, more pawing on my nose. "Meow!" for petes sake, I need you! She said.

Up again I was. No kittens again. This time I fell asleep in the closet. I awoke moments later to a paw on my forehead. I creeped open my sleepy eyes to see her push out the first kitten of 4 that morning. She really just wanted company I think. No one has asked me to be at a birth before, and I have 14 neices and nephews. No brother or sister of my flesh ever called me to say the baby was coming. But Peanut....she wanted me there.

Peanut and I go for walks.
She walks beside me, and people turn their heads because they can't believe I am walking my cat. (actually, she walks me it seems.)

She goes camping with me.

She likes to ride shotgun in our pickup truck and lay on the dash like the coolest cat in town.

She has a sister she inherited when I got married. She raised a puppy and now they are a family.

She sleeps on my shoulder each night with her outstretched paws on my chin. She sometimes gives me noggin in her sleep, and I don't know if she knows she's doing it, or she's dreaming.

She hasn't knocked over a picture in years, but man have we had an adventure in our journey through life together.

I was sick with Pneumonia once and my brother came to check on me in my apartment in the middle of the night. As he crept into my bedroom to feel my face for fever, an angry growl came from the tallest bureau in my room. "Holy crap was that your cat?" he asked.

"Turn on the light" I whispered, "she's protecting me because I'm so sick." Who knew cats even did that? I surely didn't. Peanut is one of a kind. What started as Satan's spawn, turned out to be a lifetime friend I can't live without.

This year Peanut is 10 years old. She's spooning my slipper right now so I won't wake her to tell her how much I love her.

People say all sorts of things about cats, but I know that no one can handle me quite as well as my Peanut the cat does.

"She's Peanut the cat....
Peanut the cat...
not Peanut the Butter
or Peanut the snack,
She's Peanut the Peanut Cat.
She always hates the Sunshine, not the planet but the dog....
she wishes she could do magic...
she would turn her into a frog.
She's Peanut the cat,
Peanut the cat,
not peanut the butter or peanut the snack
she's neither,
one,
of that!
She's Peanut.................the cat!"
Attached Thumbnails
She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-peanutbathroom.jpg   She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-campingpets.jpg   She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-catscamping.jpg   She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-peanutcar2.jpg   She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-peanutcar.jpg  

She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-peanutgaspedal.jpg   She's Peanut the Peanut Cat...-peanuts.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What a sweet story! In one of the photos, she looks like she's telling that car that passed you to get back, she should be first!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Thank you for your story and pics

Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM

182 posts, read 502,752 times
Excellent story and pictures!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
AWE that's lovely, they sure are special aren't they.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
Ty for reading my Peanut story. I've been wanting to pay tribute somehow to my little handful every time I hang a new picture on the wall.

Sometimes you just want to write about all the good stuff. The funny times. The times where you have those moments and take the time to stop and think, "this is what life really must be about."

Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Thank you for for sharing Peanut with us! I am SOOO happy that I am not the only one who has a song for my cats lol!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Peanut is a beauty. You're lucky to have found each other. I love it that you take her camping! No doubt she keeps the rodents away from your tent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Thank you for for sharing Peanut with us! I am SOOO happy that I am not the only one who has a song for my cats lol!
^^No, you're not. I even had a song for the spouse's mean old cat (RIP). He didn't appreciate it though. I tried adapting the song to our current pair, but it just didn't sound right. Guess I didn't despise ol' Kitty Bear as much as I let on, LOL.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Excellent story! I'm glad you went into hock to save her life.

But now, since I read your lyrics, I have the song Felix the Cat on my mind. I don't know whether to thank you or blame you!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
THANK YOU, Katlakat, for sharing that. That was ... that was beautiful. So is Peanut!
So are you, through your writing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats