U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,740,670 times
Default 'Happy Cat' spray

wow, someone on one of the other forums just mentioned a spray (from Petsmart) called 'At Ease'. He said he sprayed 10 min inside the carrier and the cats were happy and purring for a 14 hour drive!!

My vet said they carry some pheramone spray (don't know the name) that make cats think they're happy.

Anyone ever tried this? Does it really work? I have 2 cats that work themselves up into hyperventilating just on a 20 min trip! I've tried driving them to other places than the vets, it doesn't matter. They hate riding. It's so bad that I sometimes skip years for the older one to get his annual checkup because it seems so traumatic for him. One time my vet gave me some 'ace' to give him - barely worked. I think the woozy feeling freaked him just as much, the vet was amazed at how fast his heart was beating.

If this spray really works.... it could open up whole possibilities for easy transport.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 PM

9,706 posts, read 23,153,116 times
I'm guessing you may be speaking of Feliway...it is a pheremone that helps calm down some cats. Be aware, it does not work on all cats. My daughter has one that it has no effect on at all. There is also Bachs Rescue Remedy that can help calm a feline down as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,740,670 times
Yes, Feliway is the one I'm thinking of that I think my vet has. I'm familiar with Rescue Remedy, but I've never noticed any affect at all on any of my cats.

The guy said this At Ease stuff had a money back guarrantee, he didn't think it would work, but was amazed that it did.

I know someone who used Feliway room thingies when she was merging two households of cats (her sisters and hers) and things were.. stressed. She seemed to think it helped a lot, although it was very expensive.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM

9,706 posts, read 23,153,116 times
Shop around...I'm betting you can find it cheaper than what your vet sells it for. Here is just one: Comfort Zone Feliway Spray : The Pampered Pet Mart Pet Supplies

Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,814,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
wow, someone on one of the other forums just mentioned a spray (from Petsmart) called 'At Ease'. He said he sprayed 10 min inside the carrier and the cats were happy and purring for a 14 hour drive!!

My vet said they carry some pheramone spray (don't know the name) that make cats think they're happy.

Anyone ever tried this? Does it really work? I have 2 cats that work themselves up into hyperventilating just on a 20 min trip! I've tried driving them to other places than the vets, it doesn't matter. They hate riding. It's so bad that I sometimes skip years for the older one to get his annual checkup because it seems so traumatic for him. One time my vet gave me some 'ace' to give him - barely worked. I think the woozy feeling freaked him just as much, the vet was amazed at how fast his heart was beating.

If this spray really works.... it could open up whole possibilities for easy transport.
Do they have any for humans? Man I'd love to have that on an airplane! LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 AM

3,931 posts, read 8,178,567 times
I have used Feliway on and off for years.

The last major use of it was about a year and a half ago when we moved 1000 miles with 10 cats.
I sprayed up the back of the truck where they rode.
The trip was uneventful and seemingly not too stressful for them.
But I don't know if it would have been any different without the Feliway.

I also have two of the Feliway aromatic dispensers plugged in at different places in the house.
We only do this in the winter because in the summer the windows are always open so it would just be wasted.

The dispenser refills last about a month, so it gets pretty expensive.

I don't know if it does anything for the cats or not, but I use it anyway hoping I'm doing something good for them.

I also buy them catnip and nip rats, but I KNOW they enjoy that.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,669,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have used Feliway on and off for years.

The last major use of it was about a year and a half ago when we moved 1000 miles with 10 cats.
I sprayed up the back of the truck where they rode.
The trip was uneventful and seemingly not too stressful for them.
But I don't know if it would have been any different without the Feliway.

I also have two of the Feliway aromatic dispensers plugged in at different places in the house.
We only do this in the winter because in the summer the windows are always open so it would just be wasted.

The dispenser refills last about a month, so it gets pretty expensive.

I don't know if it does anything for the cats or not, but I use it anyway hoping I'm doing something good for them.

I also buy them catnip and nip rats, but I KNOW they enjoy that.

I plan on using Feliway again, now that I moved back from New Mexico with my cat. We used it when we moved out to NM in an apartment and it worked!

Yes, winter time is coming and I feel the need to stock up, not a panacea, but it helps a lot with cats marking, scratching.

I plan on a supplement for my cat to put in his food to make him less aggressive, waking me up at 3 am in the morning like the control freak clockradio he is.

Kibbles only shuts him up for a little while.

I put him outside with a harness and a long leash so he can dookie in the mulch pile, and plan on an outside pen off the porch so he can go out the pet door, off the porch and lope around the ferns without him picking fights with others.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM

2,166 posts, read 5,222,196 times
I used some spray I got from my vet for my CH kitty that stresses really bad in the car and it did help. I also used it when introducing a new one into my house and it wasn't going well. At home, it relaxed them so much they slept all day and night and scared me that I had over used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats