U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 PM

283 posts, read 464,300 times

Advertisements

My kitty is only urinating once a day. She usually would take a potty once in the day, once at evening and once in the middle of the night. I noticed she slept for most of the evening on Sunday. But I thought it was because she was awake with me for most of the day. I started to worry when I came home Monday and she did not potty. I made a vet appt for the next morning but canceled since she went in the middle of the night. Other than the infrequent urination she is normal. She eats, drinks, poops, plays normally. She doesn't paw at her litterbox like she wants to go and can't. She is alert and doesn't seems to be any pain when I feel her stomach area. She doesn't seem to be dehydrated as she drank more water yesterday since it was a hot day.

I think it could be from stress. My sister and her 3 kids came to stay with us for 4 days a week ago. She didn't do well with screaming kids. She stayed in my bedroom for most of the time. Do you think this warrant a vet visit? Is this something I should worry about?

Last edited by akcher; 08-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,182,396 times
You should take her to the vet, she may have a UTI or kidney issues.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM

I understand the need to take her to vet just in case and I have done so many a times. I once took her because her chin was a little red around her lips. It felt like a waste of money because it cleared up 3 days later. What I am trying to gauge is does these symptoms sound like something serious?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,702,750 times
I don't think it would be a UTI, those usually cause increased urination. Decreased output could be the result of kidney disease, but it would need to be pretty advanced and you'd more than likely see other signs first. If you called your vet could they look through her latest bloodwork and possibly urine test results and see if they've had any cause for concern in the past?

A lot of times the choice to take a pet in to the vet is not clear. This may be something you can call and ask, knowing her history better your vet may have a preference whether they want to see her or not.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,182,396 times
Quote:
What I am trying to gauge is does these symptoms sound like something serious?
Yes, a change in urination frequency is not something that should be ignored imo.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
It wouldn't be a UTI...that is an increase...but I would be concerned with some sort of a blockage.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:21 AM

I'm happy to report that yesterday she urinated 3 times

Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcher View Post
I'm happy to report that yesterday she urinated 3 times
LOL...it's the little things in life that make us happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats