Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,015,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I don't know if it's true for treated cats, but I know that cats can show falsely elevated T4 levels without having hyperthyroidism. It might be worth discussing the possibility with your vet and re-testing.

Measurement of serum concentrations of free thyrox...[J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001] - PubMed Result
Thank you for that great information. I'm printing it out and taking it with me on Monday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,015,934 times
Update. Gizmo went to the vet yesterday. This vet said it is possible for the hyperthyroidism to come back. She said usually some medicine for it will straighten it out. She, however, does not think it is the thyroid that is the problem. She felt it during the exam and didn't find anything to worry about. She believes it is a gum infection and prescribed an antibiotic that is made just for this problem. She is putting him on a "pulse" treatment. This means 5 days of the antibiotic, once a month, every month for now. She had me sign a release to get the results of his blood work from the other vet. She doesn't feel it's necessary to make him go through that again and to save me money! She said he still has all his teeth and at his age she wouldn't want him to have a dental cleaning. Yippee! I think I really like this vet. She's looking out for him, and not treating me like a walking ATM! So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works for him.

I really want to keep this vet. I felt such a positive vibe at her office. They even have cats roaming around inside that belong to the office. These cats were unadoptable due to their "attitudes" so now they have a forever home. I'm such a sucker for things like this!

Last edited by ouijeewoman; 09-01-2009 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats