Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times

Advertisements

^lol, how cute! BTW, I have the same quilt thats in the first pix, the kitties love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM

421 posts, read 3,212,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
When you have another cat, they start to bond with each other, when you have one cat, he/she bonds with you, and makes you the center of her life. I think a one cat house is better unless you get them together young.
I totally disagree. Thats like only having only one child because you want a closer bond to the child. 2 cats that love each other have a playmate and company that a human can never provide (especially if you go to work and the cat is alone all day ) and they still love their owner/parent. They don't hang around together 24 hrs a day. Usually its only a few minutes of play or grooming. Mine have stopped sleeping in the same basket but they both sleep on my bed.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,292,882 times
I would love to adopt a stray, but our calico girl (now 8) has been a single cat/pet since our dog crossed the bridge in 2002. She is very feisty and I am very reluctant to bring in another cat/kitten.
We rescued her in our backyard-she was only 4-6 weeks old so she didn't have momma cat teaching her good cat behavior.
I know it in my heart that I would love to see her have a companion to snuggle up with but I am realistic in that I don't think it could happen.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

421 posts, read 3,212,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I would love to adopt a stray, but our calico girl (now 8) has been a single cat/pet since our dog crossed the bridge in 2002. She is very feisty and I am very reluctant to bring in another cat/kitten.
We rescued her in our backyard-she was only 4-6 weeks old so she didn't have momma cat teaching her good cat behavior.
I know it in my heart that I would love to see her have a companion to snuggle up with but I am realistic in that I don't think it could happen.
Honestly it could happen if you really want it to! and you will be happy you did it for the next 10-12 years of your cats life .
If you want to get another adult cat go to a place that fosters them at homes so they really get to know the personality. They will tell you who is mellow and who is feisty etc...go and hang out with the cat for an hour to really see what it is like and make sure you can return them if its a terrible match. They don't want you to dump them at the pound so as far as I know they all say yes.

But you need to do everything about the introduction slowly and carefully and don't give off any nervous vibes !! People do insane things like hold one cat tightly and go right up to the other one.

Here is a link from the humans society with great tips on how to do it right.

Introducing Pets to a New Cat | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/cat_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_cat.html - broken link)

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 PM

548 posts, read 1,474,276 times
I love the snuggling kitties! So sweet! I originally wanted to adopt a pair of bonded cats and worried about adopting a cat who would be the only cat in the house. When I asked Milo's foster mom if he would be okay without other cats around, she said, "He would love it!" It turns out that he is very much a people person, and an alpha male who doesn't get along with other cats. I always had two cats growing up, and didn't know there were cats who prefer being only cats. Much to my surprise, he gets along very well with my dogs! He almost snuggles with one of them.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,938,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^lol, how cute! BTW, I have the same quilt thats in the first pix, the kitties love it!
gaaaahhhhh.... was hoping no one would notice the unmade bed..... ..... just when those hallmark moments happen, you gotta catch 'em with the camera if you can......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
When you have another cat, they start to bond with each other, when you have one cat, he/she bonds with you, and makes you the center of her life. I think a one cat house is better unless you get them together young.
oh man ..... as close as my 2 are..... we still have the 5 minute or more love-fest EVERY evening when i get home from work.... they both snug up to me at night..... they both love attention from ME.......

Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
gaaaahhhhh.... was hoping no one would notice the unmade bed..... ..... just when those hallmark moments happen, you gotta catch 'em with the camera if you can......
Dont worry about it, the pattern and colors of the quilt caught my eye..... if there was a made-up bed in my home, I would be concerned if there was company coming that I didnt know about!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,292,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Honestly it could happen if you really want it to! and you will be happy you did it for the next 10-12 years of your cats life .
If you want to get another adult cat go to a place that fosters them at homes so they really get to know the personality. They will tell you who is mellow and who is feisty etc...go and hang out with the cat for an hour to really see what it is like and make sure you can return them if its a terrible match. They don't want you to dump them at the pound so as far as I know they all say yes.

But you need to do everything about the introduction slowly and carefully and don't give off any nervous vibes !! People do insane things like hold one cat tightly and go right up to the other one.

Here is a link from the humans society with great tips on how to do it right.

Introducing Pets to a New Cat | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/cat_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_cat.html - broken link)
Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats