U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM

283 posts, read 466,486 times

Advertisements

I want to get some opinions on cats who are naturally loners and do not like other cats. I have only have 1 indoor only cat. I would love to get another one so they have each other for company when I am not at home. I don't think she like other cats. She hisses at every other cat she sees (our neighbor's and I had a couple of fosters before). Her foster dad said she never really let any cat get close to her and would swat at them if they did. So I am wondering if she really needs another feline companion. Is she fine on her own? She is my first cat so I'm not experienced in cat behavior. How would I tell if she needs a buddy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,383,614 times
When I saw the thread title, I thought it referred to cat owners who were single. But to the topic, you have to remember that cats have to get acquainted with one another, and they usually don't make nice for some time. They have to spend some time together before they tolerate each other, let alone like each other. They are territorial and don't like to share.

Your cat probably doesn't need a buddy, but given time she could probably get along with one. If you don't really want another cat, though, I don't see the point. A cat can be quite happy by itself.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM

7,784 posts, read 9,158,184 times
i concur with catman ..... my skrappy cat was perfectly content by herself.... but i brought hobbes in to our home when she was about 8 and he was about 1.... they learned to tolerate each other, but were never pals.......

now the two i have now...... i got them at the same time, charlie was 4-1/2 months old and max was 3 months old.... and they are INSEPARABLE..... sleep with their little arms wrapped around each, charlie made herself momma cat to max and is always grooming him, etc. etc. ..... they are 5 years old now.....

Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,956,773 times
Heavens to mergatroid, if I were to get another cat, I think my cat would scratch my eyes out in my sleep!
My cat doesn't even like people (apparently, I'm the only one that she trusts) much less other cats. She tolerates the dog. And quite frankly, the only reason she likes me is b/c I feed her.
BTW, I just gave her a bath and she is sooooo pissed right now ):< I imagine that, were there another cat in the house, they would plot to murder the dog and I, just for giving them baths *lol*

Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,327,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcher View Post
I want to get some opinions on cats who are naturally loners and do not like other cats. I have only have 1 indoor only cat. I would love to get another one so they have each other for company when I am not at home. I don't think she like other cats. She hisses at every other cat she sees (our neighbor's and I had a couple of fosters before). Her foster dad said she never really let any cat get close to her and would swat at them if they did. So I am wondering if she really needs another feline companion. Is she fine on her own? She is my first cat so I'm not experienced in cat behavior. How would I tell if she needs a buddy?
I am the proud owner of a nine year old Tabby named Zelda (pic attached). When I adopted her, I was told she had to be an "only" Cat. She fought with all Cats in the shelter and when she was fostered, was a terror. She is a loving people cat, but hates other Cats! I would definitely not get another Cat for your kitty. She is telling you she is a loner kitty. I am a loner type too, I guess, because If prefer to live alone. If I had a roomie suddenly move in I would be hissing too. Being and only Cat is just her personality. My Cat loves human companion ship. Does yours love people? If so, do not worry about getting her a companion Cat, she will only be very upset!

Last edited by Artsywoman; 08-29-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,038,028 times
As I would love to get another cat I know my girl Kalli (calico) would never be happy. We rescued her when she was approx 4-6 weeks old. She was caught in between 2 fences in our backyard.

She is an indoor/outdoor cat(with supervision) and does not like other cats.I call her anti-social. She is a people cat which is okay by me. As much as I would love to get another cat I know it would never work out.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,711,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am the proud owner of a nine year old Tabby named Zelda (pic attached). When I adopted her, I was told she had to be an "only" Cat. She fought with all Cats in the shelter and when she was fostered, was a terror. She is a loving people cat, but hates other Cats! I would definitely not get another Cat for your kitty. She is telling you she is a loner kitty. I am a loner type too, I guess, because If prefer to live alone. If I had a roomie suddenly move in I would be hissing too. Being and only Cat is just her personality. My Cat loves human companion ship. Does yours love people? If so, do not worry about getting her a companion Cat, she will only be very upset!
My cat is Sekhmet (she is on my Profile); the Goddess of Fertility and Rage (spaying took care of the first whereas for the second...........oh well) has a complete attitude problem---------especially when our other two feline monsters pay attention to me.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,631,353 times
I have a siamese cat, and she absolutely HATES other cats, I actually tried to find her a "friend", but we got rid of him after a few days because she kept kicking his butt. He was a much bigger cat, and I was afraid he would get tired of getting his butt kicked and hurt my little sweetie, so we gave him away as soon as we could find a place for him.

She is very affectionate towards people, but she gets very bent out of shape if a neighborhood cat so much as looks in the window. Her tail gets all bushy hand she hisses.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I have a siamese cat, and she absolutely HATES other cats, I actually tried to find her a "friend", but we got rid of him after a few days because she kept kicking his butt. He was a much bigger cat, and I was afraid he would get tired of getting his butt kicked and hurt my little sweetie, so we gave him away as soon as we could find a place for him.

She is very affectionate towards people, but she gets very bent out of shape if a neighborhood cat so much as looks in the window. Her tail gets all bushy hand she hisses.
Hee Hee, sounds like my baby. She even hissed at the vacumm today before it came on!!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
When I saw the thread title, I thought it referred to cat owners who were single. But to the topic, you have to remember that cats have to get acquainted with one another, and they usually don't make nice for some time. They have to spend some time together before they tolerate each other, let alone like each other. They are territorial and don't like to share.

Your cat probably doesn't need a buddy, but given time she could probably get along with one. If you don't really want another cat, though, I don't see the point. A cat can be quite happy by itself.
Like me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats