Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,989 times

Advertisements

Another thing to use is Skin So Soft-the regular kind. That's how I killed the fleas on a puppy my parents had. I just rubbed some on her then put her in water and watch the fleas float off! The vet said it was because the oil is so "heavy" it just suffocates the fleas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 PM

84 posts, read 278,729 times
Just a warning for anyone reading this: DON'T EVER USE OTC FLEA TREATMENTS (HARTZ, SERGEANT'S, FLEA COLLARS, ETC.) ON YOUR PETS!! They have seriously injured and killed thousands of animals! I always feel the need to post this when anything is posted about fleas.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Another thing to use is Skin So Soft-the regular kind. That's how I killed the fleas on a puppy my parents had. I just rubbed some on her then put her in water and watch the fleas float off! The vet said it was because the oil is so "heavy" it just suffocates the fleas.
glad to hear it works on fleas..... back when it was all the rage for mosquito repellent, i tried it SEVERAL times and was eaten alive right through it......

Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla450 View Post
Just a warning for anyone reading this: DON'T EVER USE OTC FLEA TREATMENTS (HARTZ, SERGEANT'S, FLEA COLLARS, ETC.) ON YOUR PETS!! They have seriously injured and killed thousands of animals! I always feel the need to post this when anything is posted about fleas.
There is a website based on that for HARTZ. I can speak from experience as when I used the powder on my cat and it started drooling. I just felt that was wrong so I flushed her off with water. She did not fight the water at all and looked up the info on it. HARTZ is bad news for pets.

Also do not use stuff made for dogs on cats. It is not safe. It can be toxic or deadly.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 PM

84 posts, read 278,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
There is a website based on that for HARTZ. I can speak from experience as when I used the powder on my cat and it started drooling. I just felt that was wrong so I flushed her off with water. She did not fight the water at all and looked up the info on it. HARTZ is bad news for pets.

Also do not use stuff made for dogs on cats. It is not safe. It can be toxic or deadly.
Yes, I've been there. Anyone who has doubts about the dangers of this product can visit: HartzVictims.org - One More Victim is One Too Many. There are actually several sights out there.
I also have firsthand experience. I put Hartz flea spray on two stray cats who were covered in fleas. They nearly died a few days later. There weren't any visible symptoms until about 2 days later. I had to take them to the vet and pay a lot of money to save them. Many people pick up Hartz because we consider it a "trusted" pet brand, and a cheaper alternative to the stuff you get from the vet. Unfortunately, it ended up costing me about four times the amount to save them than it would to have bought the prescription meds.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM

UGH.. that is terrible. I tried to put it on the other cat and he attacked me. Mr mellow all the time except for flea powder incident. That is why the other one got it first (the washed off one). I tried to sprinkle it on the boy of 22lbs and he sliced my hand open and was growling like a dog. I have a long scar down the inside of my middle finger from it. Guess he knew better than me what was good for him!
I was really freaked by that reaction. That cat normally sleeps around my neck and acts like a kitten.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,876 times
Default Fleas inside the bag

Been hoverin up constantly too! About 2x a day, n under all the furniture too! Hard work, but well worth it [/quote]

When you say that you do mean vacuuming, don't you? If so, keep in mind that live fleas can hatch inside your vacuum cleaner so be sure to throw away the bags quickly.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I can't afford to keep throwing out vacuum cleaner bags, so I vacuum up a piece of flea collar, and also some Sevindust. Kills em dead in the bag. My cat stays inside all the time now, and I haven't seen a flea in sometime. But he still gets his Advantage treatment every month.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,511 times
Fleas do not lay eggs on pets. The little black spots you are seeing is their feces. Fleas will find a dark and perferably damp place in your home to lay their eggs.
Your kitten may be too young to have chemical flea treatment, but a good shampoo with an acceptable flea deterrent should work. Just before you leave, set off a flea bomb in your house. You will have to be away for 3 hours, but your baby will be less likely to be re-infected.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM

They do lay eggs:

Understanding the life cycle of a flea is important if your are to control fleas effectively
What is the life and life cycle of the flea, and why is flea control so difficult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats