Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 PM

57 posts, read 352,923 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've had a new kitten (new to me, she's 6 months old) for 3 days now. The problem is I've got sick and have been struggelling to get through work. This has been compounded by the energiser kitten jumping on me 15 times a night, I just need some time to sleep uninterrupted! I'm in a 1 bed apartment so she has plenty of space to run around but generally refuses to leave my room. I've shut her out of my bedroom for the night as I desperatly need sleep but she's meowing and I feel so guilty.

Is it cruel? I'm falling apart after 3 terrible nights sleep + a bad cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,265 times
No, it's trying to manipulate you. I did this with my kitten the first week I had her, now she doesn't even want to sleep inside our bedroom.

You may still hear some complaining at night though, but just ignore it. Unless it sounds urgent.
Do you only have one cat? I think they'd be less lonely if you have two and the opportunity to have two, of course. Sadly I don't have enough resources or space for two cats myself.

I also have a terrible cold these days. It's no fun for sure Get well soon!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
So sorry your not feeling well!
No, it is not cruel. The kitten may not be happy about it, but you need your sleep and unfortunately, the kitten does not realize this. We have a 6 cats...some are allowed in our room at night...those who curl up and go to sleep...those that want to "party", stay on the other side of the door. Included in that 6, is a 4 month old kitten. He has more energy than the energizer bunny and it seems to all generate in the hours between 10pm and 5am! He starts out in our room everynight, but by midnight, one of us is getting up to put him outside the door. He bounces and bites, just basically being a kitten, but we both need our sleep! He cries for a few minutes and scratches on the door, but soon forgets about "us" and goes in search of one of the other cats to "torment".

Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
we have 7 cats and we used to let them in our room at night but not anymore because i got tired of being woke up 4 times a night from cats jumping on me so now the door gets closed every night. they get the bed all day so i think they get enough bed room time. it's not cruel it's just training

Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times
We don't let our cats sleep in the same room with us, because they're not good sleepers thoughout the night. They jump on the bed, chase each other, walk all over us, etc. So we shut them out every night. They don't like that, and there is often a lot of meowing throughout the night outside the door. One thing I have found that helps is to get a fan in your bedroom to provide "white noise" to drown out the meowing.

Maybe consider getting another kitten to keep yours company so they can play together all night?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Mine sleep on the bed w/me but the newest, who is about 2 y/o, can be a pest. But my room is the sanctuary from the 3 dogs so I can't keep them out. He is slowly learning!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Kittens are terrible bedmates We kept ours out of the bedroom until they were older - now they'll sleep on our bed if they feel like it but never bother us or wake us up.

If he's keeping you awake by howling incessantly then you could get a water sprayer and give him a little squirt when you open the door - he'll soon get the message and stop bothering you.

I'm sure that as he gets older you'll have no problems with him sleeping quietly on your bed

Old 09-05-2009, 02:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
I pretty much give my cat whatever she wants, I let her sleep on the bed with me (that is her usual place). She has done that since she was very, very young....she rarely wakes me up.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I have two cats, one of which sleeps with me most nights. The other also does in winter. They are 14 years old and don't hop around much. They will, however, wake me up if I oversleep and they are hungry. To the OP, no, I don't think it's cruel to keep it out at night if it won't let you sleep! The suggestion concerning another cat is a good one.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
I had a kitten that used to keep me awake by biting my toes. When I put him out, he'd run and jump at the door, and sometimes even get it open. I ended up giving him to someone that took one of his siblings, and once he got with another kitten, he was fine. She said he was a perfect angel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats