U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 AM

84 posts, read 137,623 times
Default Something for all cat owners to consider

I just want to put this out there for you to consider.

A stray cat recently gave birth to 5 kittens in a garage around the corner from my house. The owners of the house are family friends. They are fixing the house up and are not currently living there. They kindly allowed the kitty family to live in the home. They went to the house twice daily to feed and play with the mama and her babies. The mother cat was so friendly and very young. She and the babies had polydactyl paws, which we so very cute! I finally found a rescue willing to help with the vet bills if we could continue fostering the cats. Everything seemed to be going to well. These were very adoptable cats, I had a loving family to take care of them, I had a rescue to vet them and put them online, I was prepared to field all adoption inquiries and visits. I had to take them to the vet to be tested for Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia yesterday. Mama and babies were positive for Feline Leukemia. The entire family has to be put to sleep. They don't have a family to be there with them. I am going to hold 5 newborn kittens and one very young, sweet, friendly mama cat as they are euthanized.

Please, consider keeping your cat inside. Feline Leukemia is mainly spread by biting, scratching, and grooming; yet, it is shed in virtually every bodily secretion. If your cat does go outside, you have the option of a vaccine; however, this vaccine is not often recommended because it has a high rate of cancer at the injection site. So, if you don't want to put your cats at risk of Feline Leukemia or cancer due to the vaccine, please keep your cats inside at all times. Also, a cat can become a carrier without actually getting the disease, putting any other cats you might have at risk.

There is no cure for Feline Leukemia. Some cats might only live a few months with the disease. Other can live a few years if it is managed well and there are ideal conditions. Most vets recommend euthanasia upon diagnosis.

Also, please spay and neuter your cats. It was bad enough that this mama cat has the disease, but if she had been spayed, she wouldn't have given birth to five innocent kittens that now must be put the sleep. I am convinced she was someone's cat at one time, because she was far too friendly to have been a stray cat her entire life. If your cat has kittens, please try to find homes for them, take them to a shelter, try every option before abandoning them outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 PM

8,631 posts, read 11,630,470 times
That's so sad. I had an adult inside cat that contracted Feline Leukemia. The vet didn't know how he got it. After he was diagnosed, he lasted six days. I had him cremated, and his ashes are in a little cedar box on my dresser.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM

7,117 posts, read 4,197,334 times
Thanks for the heartbreaking PSA. I wish more people would heed your wise advice.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:07 PM

2,167 posts, read 5,266,401 times
Oh my! I had my hopes so high when I started reading. Wonderful very adoptable babies that I have seen people fight over to get one. It was like a bomb dropping when you wrote their fate and I have to admit, my jaw dropped and so did my heart. It is so sad that they were born to have this happen to them before they even had a chance.

God Bless you for doing what you could and trying. There are so few of us that care about these wonderful little creatures that are so full of love..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:11 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla450 View Post
I just want to put this out there for you to consider.

A stray cat recently gave birth to 5 kittens in a garage around the corner from my house. The owners of the house are family friends. They are fixing the house up and are not currently living there. They kindly allowed the kitty family to live in the home. They went to the house twice daily to feed and play with the mama and her babies. The mother cat was so friendly and very young. She and the babies had polydactyl paws, which we so very cute! I finally found a rescue willing to help with the vet bills if we could continue fostering the cats. Everything seemed to be going to well. These were very adoptable cats, I had a loving family to take care of them, I had a rescue to vet them and put them online, I was prepared to field all adoption inquiries and visits. I had to take them to the vet to be tested for Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia yesterday. Mama and babies were positive for Feline Leukemia. The entire family has to be put to sleep. They don't have a family to be there with them. I am going to hold 5 newborn kittens and one very young, sweet, friendly mama cat as they are euthanized.

Please, consider keeping your cat inside. Feline Leukemia is mainly spread by biting, scratching, and grooming; yet, it is shed in virtually every bodily secretion. If your cat does go outside, you have the option of a vaccine; however, this vaccine is not often recommended because it has a high rate of cancer at the injection site. So, if you don't want to put your cats at risk of Feline Leukemia or cancer due to the vaccine, please keep your cats inside at all times. Also, a cat can become a carrier without actually getting the disease, putting any other cats you might have at risk.

There is no cure for Feline Leukemia. Some cats might only live a few months with the disease. Other can live a few years if it is managed well and there are ideal conditions. Most vets recommend euthanasia upon diagnosis.

Also, please spay and neuter your cats. It was bad enough that this mama cat has the disease, but if she had been spayed, she wouldn't have given birth to five innocent kittens that now must be put the sleep. I am convinced she was someone's cat at one time, because she was far too friendly to have been a stray cat her entire life. If your cat has kittens, please try to find homes for them, take them to a shelter, try every option before abandoning them outside.
Yup.

What you said.

20yrsinBranson
responsible pet owner

Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,487,268 times
So sad. Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,300,814 times
My male stays inside all the time. The kittens are outside, but they were tested early and have been vaccinated. Momma has not, though.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
My male stays inside all the time. The kittens are outside, but they were tested early and have been vaccinated. Momma has not, though.
Edit: I think there was some misunderstanding with my original reply. It's great that you got the kittens vaccinated since they are currently outside. For anyone else reading this, it's best to keep cats inside if possible. If a cat goes outside, it's best to get the FeLV vaccine; yet, the vaccine has a high risk of cancer associated with it. It is in the best interest of the cats, health wise, to be kept inside so they have no risk of being exposed to FeLV and they don't have any need to get the somewhat dangerous vaccine. I don't want anyone thinking the vaccine is a quick fix. Again, I am not telling you what to do, STL. I just don't want people reading what you said and thinking, "well, it's fine to leave my cat outside as long as he has the vaccine." I know I already said the vaccine was dangerous in my first post, but I know some people probably don't read the whole thing. I know the cats you are talking about are not your own cats and this is a slightly different situation than someone dealing with their own cat.

Last edited by Walla450; 09-12-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM

7,117 posts, read 4,197,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla450 View Post

If the cats are going to always be outside, it's probably best to vaccinate. The thing with the vaccine is that it has a very high rate of cancer associated with it. If you can keep your cats inside so they don't have to get the shot, that is the best course of action for them health-wise. I'm not telling you what to do specifically, I just want to reiterate that the vaccine is dangerous, so it should not be seen as an easy fix. It's best to be vaccinated if they are outdoor cats though.
The "momma" cat and kittens she's referring to are strays who showed up on her family's property. She's gotten 2 of the kittens adopted and someone brought her a safe trap to catch the momma and bring her to the vet for spaying and vaccinations, and will also bring the 2 remaining kittens in for spaying.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The "momma" cat and kittens she's referring to are strays who showed up on her family's property. She's gotten 2 of the kittens adopted and someone brought her a safe trap to catch the momma and bring her to the vet for spaying and vaccinations, and will also bring the 2 remaining kittens in for spaying.
I gathered that much. I was in no way criticizing what she did or was doing. Like I said when I replied to her, I wasn't telling her what to do. I was just reiterating to everyone that might be reading this that it's best not to vaccinate against FeLV if it can be helped (meaning, if the cat can be brought inside). When I said "your cats" I did not mean her cats in particular, I meant the cats of anyone in general. I know my original post was rather lengthy and not everyone will read everything that was said. It's easy to think, "well, if I get my cat vaccinated against it, I don't have to worry." I just want everyone to be aware that the vaccine is not all that safe.

Edit: I've changed my original response to that reply to reflect what I actually meant to say. There was obviously a little misunderstanding. Hopefully it's better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats