U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,338 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have a female cat, who was spayed nearly 5 years ago.

This past two weeks we have had 4 or 5 Tom cats hanging around the back garden, trying to get in through the cat flap, digging up the garden and generally harrassing poor little Jessy. She was quite a fiesty cat but is looking very stressed by this.

The Toms seem to be acting as though she was in season but this has never happened before, and she is not acting strangely herself this doesn't seem possible. I spoke to the vet who also says she should not be 'giving out any hormones.

I have a dog too who is helping to keep them out of the house while I am at work. I don't want to put any cat deterrents down as this will also affect Jessy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 09:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,555,612 times
Do you know for sure they are male cats? Could they be male and female? Maybe it's a territorial issue and not heat-related.

Are you confident that this vet did a complete and correct spay procedure?

It's hard to know for sure why the other cats (feral cats?) are harrassing your pet cat, but it sounds like your cat is in danger of being hurt, possibly seriously, possibly fatally.

It might be time to reconsider allowing your cat outdoors. Outdoor cats lead shorter lives and often face grim endings.

My own cat is indoors. She is given visits outside in my fenced backyard only when I can supervise (I am literally a few feet away since there are always raptors overhead and my cat is tiny-tiny like a baby bunny). She is happy and healthy and 15 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or