U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM

482 posts, read 1,561,432 times
Default Kitten food for senior cat?

I'm beginning to change 6-month-old Sally's diet from dry Science to wet Wellness. So far she's having none of it. I presume she's addicted to the kibble like so many are.

The smell didn't attract her. I'm putting small morsels on her paws so she has to lick it off and taste. I'm very hopeful she will make the change with patience on my part. However, our 13-year-old Tortie loves the wet kitten food and after a few weeks of becoming bored with what she was eating (Natural Balance duck) she scarfed down Sally's kitten food with enthusiasm.

I read the label and it seems to just be slightly higher in protein and fat than the adult version, so I'm thinking it will be ok for her. She could actually gain a couple pounds.

If you think it's ok, can she eat it long term or just until she gains a little weight back?

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,672,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post

I read the label and it seems to just be slightly higher in protein and fat than the adult version, so I'm thinking it will be ok for her. She could actually gain a couple pounds.
I suspect the older girl is more attracted by the ingredients and quality of ingredients in the Wellness vs. Science Diet and it has little to do with what age range it is.

Two things:

If Sally is having a difficult transition to wet, you can try the Wellness Core dry. It's grain-free.

And now for my regular mantra: kitten food is a marketing gimmick to part you with more of your hard earned pennies. Think about it for a moment - does Momma Cat select the "kitten option" from whatever prey is available to her? Nope. Momma Cat feeds kittens from what's out there. Kittens need small meals often due to the size of their tummies, but they don't need special meals.

The grain-free Wellness line is a good feline food. Both your cats would benefit from it but parting with extra money for the kitten-range option isn't going to add an extra benefit.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,488,671 times
I have about the same situation in my house! All the adult cats want the kitten food! I am trying to get the 16 yr. old to gain weight per the vet's advice. I just started him on Nutra-Cal for cats. It's a high calorie supplement. I tried it alone, then mixed with food and he turns his nose up. Little stinker. Now I'm mixing it with kitty milk and putting in the syringe for force feeding. Maybe your senior will like it. My other 4 cats would eat it right from the tube if I let them but they don't need it. I always seem to have at least one trouble "child" in the bunch. What we go through for our babies!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM

604 posts, read 1,498,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

And now for my regular mantra: kitten food is a marketing gimmick to part you with more of your hard earned pennies. Think about it for a moment - does Momma Cat select the "kitten option" from whatever prey is available to her? Nope. Momma Cat feeds kittens from what's out there. Kittens need small meals often due to the size of their tummies, but they don't need special meals.
Awesome way of putting it. I was first made aware of this when I fed my cats Merrick - the can said it was for "All life stages".

Really, when you think about it, it makes sense. Pet food companies know humans think in human terms about their pet foods. Kitten food really should be classified as mama cat's milk. Once they're weaned off that any good grain free food should be OK.

I fell for it with my kittens, but after eating the big cats' food my kittens wanted none of it - they preferred my adult cat food. They ate that and grew just fine, weren't sick, and so on. They were perfectly OK on regular canned food.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,937,251 times
Let's face it. When we put down a new food for cat or kitten the other cat(s) in the house will want to eat it. And there fore will gain weight if they keep chowing down on it.

That's what I've learned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats