Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times

Advertisements

Try www.drsfosterandsmith.com, they have a number of different enclosures, one for $39.99. They also have strollers for walking your pet!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,349,544 times
You let your cat manipulate you, and it knows what type of response it will get when it cries. You will let the him out.

I was in the same situation as you, but I didn't let the cat outside. He cried and cried, jumped up and smacked the door handle and I ignored him. He eventually got the hint although he still does cry.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM

42 posts, read 107,566 times
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that he'd get used to it eventually, but destroying the door does seem kind of extreme.

I adopted a stray outdoor kitty last year and I was worried about having this problem, but he adjusted to indoor life right away. Every once in a while he'll stand at the door like he wants to go out, but he's not annoying about it and I just tell him "no" and he gives up pretty quickly.

He did escape a couple of times when my roommate wasn't careful enough, but luckily I found him right away both times and he came right back up to the house.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 86,772 times
Well I've been working on a compromise - keep indoor/outdoor kitty in at night - usually 7:30 PM to 7:30 AM. He hasn't been in a fight since, but does he EVER yowl and fuss and whine all night long! I'm hoping he'll adjust soon, its been five days so far. Thank heavens for ear plugs!

He seems to be a bit freaked out by the change - he sits and yowls by his door even during the day when it is open! Silly guy =p.

Indoor kitty still wants to go out really bad. Not sure I can stop her from doing that, particularly during the day when I'm not home. I'm thinking I should move to a safer house in case she does go out...

Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,724,893 times
I have a Staywell cat door. It allows you to control if the cat goes in and/or out plus it has magnetic strip that can be attached to a collar that allows only the cat(s) with the strip to come in and out of the cat door. I've had it for years and have never used the strip because I don't want my cats to become entangled in the vegetation outside that may result in their strangulation. Just google Staywell. I think I paid $60 for it.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM

187 posts, read 635,038 times
i think making outdoor kitty indoor kitty is an animal cruelty.What would you say,if i put you over night in jail?will you not miss your freedom,your liberty?Sorry to say this,but i am european and think differnet about animals.Most of us in europe keep there animals outdoor,not inside,maybe in the kitchen they come form time to time.I do not like the way people keep their animals hier in usa inside(especially dogs).They need to be out,to run aorund,they need their freedom.Even in winter our animals cats and dogs are outside,they do not die,they enjoy their freedom.
I could never punish my kitty this way and force him to live inside with me.Your indoor kitty will become an outdoor kitty.They have excellent sense for orientation and they must learn to defend themself and you have no right to take this liberty,this learning outdoor.
My cat was an indoor animal,but only as a baby.As soon as he was bigger,i immediatelly let him out.And i live in the hills of Napa,beautiful garden with own creek,a lot of danger outside:racoons,other older cats,we have deers,foxes and so on.But i trusted him and i knew form europe they are great surviver and they will make it.he would never come back and become and indoor kitty.He enjys his liberty outside all the day,in garden ,or in the neigborhood and evening he comes nice home,miauing,i let him in,he goes to garage,has his place to sleep.They have great instincts,excellent orientations skills,they are great animals,it is a pityy that people destroy their liberty.
i will move first time with a cat to south california,but i am sure,i will not be able to keep him inside,i will let him outside to discover the place and enjoy his liberty.

Last edited by Buburuza 1313; 10-08-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats