Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,319 times

Advertisements

I have a little bit of a dilema. I currently own a 15 yr old girl cat, and my roomate has her two boy cats of the ages 2 and 5. My friends cat had a litter of kittens (2 boys, one girl) and i wanted to take one of them home because i said if there was a black cat i was screwed.

I am very torn between though the girl and the one boy. I love the black one but he seems really independent, and i like to hold and cuddle the cats, and he just doesnt seem to want to have anything to do with me. The girl cat is just really unique in her coloring and is a cuddler, but shes littermates with the orange tabby.

My other issue is that, i personally have always had female cats. When i had a male, he ended up having the UTI and i had to give him up for adoption (my vet raised money and got him all taken care of and in a new home) because at the time i couldnt afford the $700 to drain him.

i'm going to see how the male adjusts to me being here for a few more days, but i was planning on taking one of them home with me this weekend >_< but just wanted some suggestion as to what would be best for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
it has been my experience that boy kitties can be more cuddly than girl kitties..... of course, my charlie-girl is the exception to THAT rule......

your 15 y/o is not going to be happy with a baby in the house..... make sure she has somewhere that she can remove herself from the youngster's antics......

Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
I have been in your shoes just a few years ago!

My older now up in kitty heaven Tortie didn't like the idea of any new cats or kittens in HER house. She didn't take to well to the kittens.

In the end the kittens banned together and became the best of buddies.

One cat cuddlier than the other? I've had mellow fellows, and standoffish gals. It just depends on the cat. YOu have to let the cat pick you! That's how it works. Cats pick their owners.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Go with your heart... If you like a lap cat...then go with the female. I have both males and females and their "cuddliness" varies. I have one female who would spend all day in my arms being held like a baby if given the chance.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

102 posts, read 217,850 times
You will have to go slow introducing your older cat to the little one.Some older cats adore kittens and will take to them almost immediately(we had this happen with our Maine Coon and my sister's kitten...after one day they were sleeping together)other older cats will hate the intrusion and even resent you for it.
I don't know which is cuddlier...males or females.Our Maine Coon was a female and she wanted to merge with you..if you were on the couch she was in your lap and she took turns sleeping in our beds at night.She was wonderful.I had a male cat that wasn't particularly affectionate until he was an adult and then he was a love sponge.He'd saok in all your love and want more.The female cat I have now is very affectionate,but only when she feels like it.Sometimes she can be fur coated evil and other times she is a purring,rubbing up against you machine.
I think it all depends on the cat's innate personality.Some are very affectionate and some aren't.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 AM

yeah i have been trying to see how things go, I laid on the bed and only the orange tabby and the girl laid with me, the black one was going insane and running around and attacking the doorjam XD but pretty much stayed away.

My cat just sleeps all day by my side, not on my lap but curled up next to me, and the one my roomates cat will come up and flop on my arm and demand pettings by rubbing his hand against his face as if to say "pet me i'm so pittiful"

My friend says its because hes not used to new people & that the girl has been acting offstandish, but i'm concerned he will be to hyper even for the two year old, and the other problem was her dad was taking the other two, and has pictures of the littermates (orange tabby and girl) and seems upset that i named him and everything and now "i dont want him" and again i just want whats best.

Last edited by GothicKDM; 09-24-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 AM

42 posts, read 107,995 times
In my experience, kittens that are total hyperactive terrors can turn into total lap cat sweethearts when they get older and settle down. Just something to consider.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
If the black one is attacking door jams, go with that one...Sidney does it and it cracks us up! He has also recently turned into a little lover, so dont base what he is doing now on how he will always act. Kittens are always going to run around like crazy little people...but for me its amusing, even when curtins come tumbling down. I have 3 male cats...no females (plus 2 male dogs, my husband and my son---so I am the ALPHA female lol)....sounds like you are partial to the black one, go with your instincts.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 AM

Well just as a follow up - I brought the black one home, his name is Salem (seen with his brother and sister). He is a total sweetie and likes to follow me around EVERYWHERE. We think he might have some havana brown in him, because he cannot stand to be without me. He also has been playing fetch alot.......and has been stealing items from my and my roomates room. >_> he also has been sleeping on the cat litter mat...I'm not sure why...nor can i seem to break him of this. He also HATES the car rides, if i make him ride in his carrier. I know this is safer, but he freaks out until his claws bleed, so if i let him out, he curls up in my lap and sleeps.....XD

But i am greatful to have him

Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
Ahhh awesome! Thanks for the pic of the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats