U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 AM

12,926 posts, read 23,884,311 times

Advertisements

Mine doesn't like the vacuum cleaner. He hides in the middle of the kitchen floor where he thinks he safe, and it "won't get him."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:58 AM

5,086 posts, read 12,542,096 times
One of ours doesn't like loud, sudden noises or any kind. He doesn't panic, but he jumps up and gets ready to take off until he sees that everything is OK.

Most of them leave the room when the vacuum cleaner starts up, except for Snuffy who runs over to see what's going on, and to watch.

We have hard floors so when a couple of them decide to run or play chase it sometimes makes a scratching sound which sets off a mass panic and all nine of them scatter or head for the bedroom or out the kitty doors.

This can be quite upsetting if any humans are in their escape path because they will run right over us.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM

81 posts, read 110,304 times
One of my cats that I adopted from a shelter I discovered was terrified of brooms after I got her home. I guess someone previously had hit her with one. She got over it after a few years.

I have another one - my big, macho boy - who's scared of garbage bags. He ducks down, turns tail and runs off as fast as he can as soon as he hears one rattle!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,427,529 times
My little one is always afriad when you sneeze. You can be a few rooms away and she'll let out a wail. Or if you're in the room with her and sneeze she wails, and then runs off.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 AM

31,108 posts, read 57,072,344 times
Our cats are afraid of their own shadows. They hate the rustle of plastic bags, where our previous cat came running when he heard the noise (he liked to lick plastic bags ... ). I bought them two big furry mice that squeaked -- scared the bejeezus out of them. They run when the front door opens, even if they're in the window and they see it's one of us opening the door from the outside.

One thing they're not afraid of is either of the neighbors' dogs. That's some Class A entertainment right there. Especially our attached neighbor's dog -- their dog will stand not more than two feet away from our kitchen window and bark his fool head off at the cats, and they just sit there ... grinning inwardly, no doubt. I guess a screen and a fence are great confidence builders!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,194,082 times
Mine are terrified of the big vacuum cleaner but the iRobot don't phase them. Since we went through hurricane Gustav, they are now afraid of storms and will either run and hide or come sit by me during a storm. They were not bothered by them before the hurricane.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,427,529 times
I got one for you. I'm enjoying reading all these stories as I slack off here at work.....thanks everybody for the diversion!

I had a cat named Sister (RIP). Her daily hobby was to sit by the front door in the middle of the floor for hours. You'd open the door, come in and have to step over the cat because she wouldn't move. She'd sit down, feet tucked under her belly, ears at the side and just listen to whatever would come by.

You could try and feed her- wouldn't work. She wouldn't budge for ham or the microwave (her fav things.)

Sometime in the afternoon between 2-4 PM the post man would drop the mail in my mail box that is attached to the wrought iron porch. And as soon she heard him walk up she'd stand to attention, puff her tail and once the mail was slammed into the box she'd dash off tail puffed growling. Then head for under the bed not to be seen until later that evening.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM

283 posts, read 704,391 times
Sudden and loud noises, people she doesn't know, garbage or plastic bags, and ropes. The foster dad said someone tied a rope around her neck and called animal control.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM

1,619 posts, read 4,205,968 times
Our male is afraid of the street cleaner. Not sure why... it isn't as noisy as the garbage truck or the mail truck. He goes into an army crawl and hides in the furthest area of the house he can. He isn't afarid of ANYTHING else though. It is strange.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,856,111 times
My daughter's late kitty Tiger (may he rest in peace) was a pretty fearless critter, but he had a few notorious weak spots.

One day about four years ago, the daughter and I had been Christmas-shopping for her small cousins, and when we came home, we brought the loot into the bedroom to show my spouse. Tiger followed us in, of course, full of curiosity about the nice crinkly bags, and he hopped right up on the bed to inspect the contents as they were brought out and displayed.

Well, my daughter always loves to give youngsters stuffed animals, and she's really good at picking out a well-made, soft and eminently cuddleable critter for nearly any little one. That year, she chose a very cute and lifelike stuffed wolf cub for my nephew, grey and white, posed in a sitting position, only about 10" tall overall and very cuddly.

So she pulled the toy wolf cub out of the shopping bag to show her dad, and Tiger caught sight of it. His back arched, every hair on his body stood straight up, and he started inching backwards across the bed. The daughter moved the toy wolf across the bed toward Tiger, and he jumped straight up a foot and back three feet - right off the edge of the bed! He scrambled for the door, raced to her bedroom upstairs and cowered under her bed for the rest of the day.

I had always thought that cats would be a lot more intimidated by the smell of something than by its appearance, but Tiger was absolutely petrified by that silly toy. He was overjoyed when my nephew took it home with him on Christmas afternoon, but he regarded all shopping bags with deep suspicion for months afterward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or