Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

My cats are afraid of the vacuum cleaner, of course. One cat is afraid of tinfoil. If I open the drawer where it is kept she will freeze and watch me, then if I open the box and start to pull out some she will run off; I guess it is the noise it makes. The other cat just watches, couldn't care less about tinfoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I think it is all on how they are raised. I have had dogs attack the vacuum cleaner and other who cared less. Same with ferrets and cats with us. Our ferret Sugar has a weak spot for latex gloves, she will attack our hands if/when we wear any. Ten previous other ferrets never cared about latex gloves.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
My cat Willow was on her own in a rural coastal region (her mom had been deserted after she gave birth) for (we think) the first six months of her life.

She is extremely skittish to begin with, she was the only kitten that was not (humanely) trapped, all her littermates went off to the humane society, but she was hanging around the woods and our neighbors until I brought her in.

Like many cats, Willow is not thrilled with jarring noises, such as loud thunder, or the metallic crash of dog kibble going into the stainless steel bowl.
But she has other issues.
The craziest things set her off.
If there is a *different* pair of shoes by the front door, she freaks: (OMG! What's this?! Those aren't the same shoes that are usually there!)

Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 AM

672 posts, read 5,093,265 times
The outside world, but I guess that's not so unusual for some cats.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Mine are afraid of me when I get the spray bottle out to chase them out of the kitchen when my wife is fixing meals. They see me pick up that little red bottle and they scatter. They learn quick when it comes to water as to where they can play and where it is off limits. Climbing up my wife's legs is off limits when she is cooking.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
My cats and my dog are afraid of the ironing board. It's a good excuse not to iron - wouldn't want to traumatize the animals!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
One of mine hates the puppy's squeaky toys. My other two cats don't seem to be bothered by it. Those two cats aren't all that brave; they will be the ones who are under the bed when strangers come over, while the afraid-of-squeaky-toys cat will be at the door to greet strangers.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 AM

691 posts, read 2,328,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
My cats and my dog are afraid of the ironing board. It's a good excuse not to iron - wouldn't want to traumatize the animals!
Beau is afraid of the ironing board too, I guess that means I don't iron too much, when the cat goes running when that "strange" contraption comes out of the closet. He thinks that something unusual is happening, and he is not sure he likes it.

He also just starts tearing around the house, for no reason at all. Just freaking out. No rythym or reason for it, just to freak.

Different cats get scared over different things. Mickey did not like dogs, Beau could care less.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
My cat is afraid of the vacuum cleaner...but I think that is pretty common.

She is afraid of children too.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
The other day I brought home a new t-shirt that I bought at a yard sale. I set it on the coffee table and one of my cats was approaching it VERY carefully... I moved the shirt a little and went "rah!" and she jumped like 3 feet in the air! It was just funny

My other cat is afraid of strangers. "Stranger Danger" is his motto! But really, anytime someone comes over that he rarely sees he will hide under the bed until they leave (and he usually stays there for a few afters after they leave.. just to be safe). He is VERY cuddly with me, but doesn't really like anyone else, they are too scary! If one of you came to my house you would NEVER know I had two cats, because you would only see the one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats