Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I havent read all of the posts so sorry if im repeating anything!

But I think as many as you can handle is enough. My grandma however had like 16 at a time and they kept reproducing with eachother and I guess all that inbreeding started to effect the health and the last litter died after about 2 hrs and the one before that couldnt walk so my mom stepped in and (I know it sounds mean but) secretly took all but 2 male cats and let them out 10 miles away. The house stunk and she only had one litter box!

So it depends on the situation but it sounds like you would be fine adding a few!
Very cruel of your mother. She could have at least taken them to a no kill shelter. She certainly put them through a long death because of her careless actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
How many cats is too many?

One more than you have (always!)

Just kidding. I agree with everyone else. It depends on your space, time, money, needs, abilities and wants. For years (going on 7) we had 2 cats and 2 cats seemed like plenty. Then we were in a PetSmart one day looking at their adoption cats and....I saw one I just fell in love with. We waited as long as we were willing to risk it to let her find another home (ie. before her time with the shelter was up...I would have been more than happy if someone else took her. I just wanted her to have a HOME!), then we bit the bullet and adopted her. The first couple of days she was out and about with the other two (we gave her a week in her own room and shorter introductions) I worried 3 cats was too many, but we've had her for 5 months now and it really doesn't seem any different from having 2 (aside from slightly higher bills).

Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post

Just kidding....kinda.

I like them but the way they smell... 1 is too many

Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I like them but the way they smell... 1 is too many
Neutered cats and clean litterpans have no odor.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
How many cats is too many?

One more than you have (always!)

If we didn't travel and go camping to so much I would adopt another one or two kitties. I think I would be comfortable with one or two more.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Very cruel of your mother. She could have at least taken them to a no kill shelter. She certainly put them through a long death because of her careless actions.
I don't condone what the woman did but that's not always possible. It's easier said than done. None of the no-kill shelters where I live will take in any more cats. They're packed. They're overflowing and kitten season is just starting. Few people adopt the older cats so they become permanent residents taking up most of the space. The woman may have felt she had no other choice.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
When I was growing up, my family had 4 indoor/outdoor cats and that was the number we felt happy with. I think 4 would be my personal limit.
However, these days I don't allow cats to wander outside, so I wouldn't get more than 2 unless I had a big house.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't condone what the woman did but that's not always possible. It's easier said than done. None of the no-kill shelters where I live will take in any more cats. They're packed. They're overflowing and kitten season is just starting. Few people adopt the older cats so they become permanent residents taking up most of the space. The woman may have felt she had no other choice.
Sorry not an excuse in my book. I understand the women's dilemma. Her mother had way too many cats and it was destroying her home. I might have gone around the neighborhood to see if I could give the cats away to neighbors. Put up flyers in grocery stores. There's always a better solution then dropping then off in the middle of nowhere to die a slow death.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
for me...3 FULL time indoor cats is my max. indoor outdoor, or strictly outdoor may make room for more...but in terms of inside all the time, regularly litterboxing, time and space ect, 3 cats is my max.

my ex bf's ex wife had 12 at one point, i couldnt even think of going in the house, it was discusting...
the litterboxes only got done once a week so there would be "accidents" and none of the cats were particularly the picture of good health, there was always hairballs and vomit under chairs and in corners *shudder*
that was a few years ago, shes down to 6 now aparently but i havent seen her in almost 3 years so i have no clue as to condition ect...

that being said, i dont think theres a "magic number" some people can handle more cats, some cant handle any, i think having other time demanding pets would also play a part in comfort levels
if someone can have 15 cats, provide them with good food, health care and attention, and stay ontop of litterboxes, cleaning ect...then more power to them!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Sorry not an excuse in my book. I understand the women's dilemma. Her mother had way too many cats and it was destroying her home. I might have gone around the neighborhood to see if I could give the cats away to neighbors. Put up flyers in grocery stores. There's always a better solution then dropping then off in the middle of nowhere to die a slow death.
Have you ever tried to give cats away like this? How successful were you? I've never lived in a place where homes could be found by going around the neighborhood or putting up fliers or those index cards. I'm not saying in some areas it can't be done successfully, but it could take months. This is another reason I hesitate to take in and vet any more strays. The Rescues are full. The shelter kills up to 80% of them and each year gets worse in finding homes for them.

As for cats destroying someone's home... well that can be handled but that's another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats