Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
so after locking the kittens in their room last night and shutting myself up in my room for a good cry, I finally got up and started cleaning the mess and tried to think about this situation clearly.

Thank you all for responding some of you came to the same conclusions that I came to. First I am not just starting out, and I have more experience with animals that I care to admit to ( especially since I let these kittens bring me to tears), I have just never had kittens before. There is no way I could have prevented the damage that they did to the house since I cant remove or hide the walls and carpet. I trim their nails weekly so that is a none issue and most of the shredding of things is from them chewing and ripping things with their mouths.

I can't give an animal away, that is just me! If I do say so myself I am a pretty good pet owner, my animals lack for nothing they need and nothing they want ( or that I want them to want) but now that I have experienced kittenhood I know that I need to make more accommodations for them than I previously thought.

They will be closed in their room when I am not at home. They have an assortment of scratching posts, mats, and climbers, toys, balls, fuzzy mice, etc but I will buy more toys so that I can switch them out. I hand built a 2 story kitty house for my last cat and I have been meaning to build another one even bigger and better for these guys, I am hoping to have it done by Thanksgiving time.

This morning I spent the morning in the room with them to see how it would be and I am happy with the arrangement. The room itself is pretty kitten proof and apparently it is large enough for them to run, jump, leap, chase each other, and generally blow off some energy in. So I won't feel bad about putting them in there.

Wow, I guess I just needed to blow off some steam last night, get a good nights sleep, and some good advise from some of you more experienced cat owners.
What a difference a day makes,
Thanks,
Tomeka, Louie, and Oscar
Cute pictures.
I always thought that it is not good to allow any young pet to play to the point of frenzy. Maybe it is so long since I had a kitten that I forget.
When you are not home they could conceivably knock themselves out if you just put them in adjoining rooms with the door open, but only enough to get a paw through?

They are adorable. THe guy in the pic on the left looks part Siamese or some offbreed of them. I am partial to such cats, being so intelligent.

Lots of luck with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,899 times
Did you realize that a kitten, is like a baby? Just as parents should "baby" proof a house, a kitten owner needs to "kitten" proof the house. That means, no stuff that can be knocked over, everything needs to be put away. Plants will invite a mess, get rid of those, the kittens will love to play in the dirt. Fish tanks, same thing. I had a cat that knocked an aquarium on the floor, it was the biggest mess I ever saw. I did not think that a cat could knock over a 30 gallon tank, wrong.

The electrical wires, same thing. They need to be placed in kitten proof flexible tubing, and simplified as much as possible.

Looks like you are going to kitten proof everything, I just saw your last post. Good for you. They will mellow out after awhile. They are just babies, just like 2 year olds.

Last edited by kek1993; 10-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
They are cute beyond words! That one on the left in the photo has that devilish look in the eye, like, hmm what can I do next? SO glad you have found a solution that works for all of you.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:45 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
My advice is to find someone to take them.
^ And may I introduce worse advice, 2009?? Good grief. Do you know how many cats and kittens are killed every year in shelters? And you think she should just bail on them when things get rough? She made a commitment and is looking for answers so she can honor that commitment. Wow....

I'm glad keeping them confined helped. That was going to be my suggestion. Another thought is a kitten playpen. I'd hate to think of them in one for long hours, but they have each other for company and to play and it's certainly safer than letting them run loose where they can get into things.

Chewing on electric cords, falling in the aquarium, knocking things over on themselves. There's so much danger in a home for 2 young kittens.

Another thing - don't leave anything out! Make sure all dishes are washed and safely locked in cabinets. Put all plants in a locked room so they can't get into them. And then find them tons of safe toys they can play with.

I think you just have a typical pair of playful, healthy little kittens. It's like leaving a pair of 2 year old kids in your home all day. They'll get into anything they can and they'll make a mess. And maybe you're so stressed and over worked with such long days that it all kind of piled up on you at once?

I'm sure this is all going to pass and you're going to do just fine with them!! You've gotten some really good advice from most people on here.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
I agree with everyone who referred to kitten proofing as "baby" proofing. It is truly amazing what they can get into, there really isn't anything that isn't off limits. So many of us think about how great having a kitten is going to be that we forget about the more practical details.
I am glad that you have decided not to bail on them. This is a phase, and as frustrating as it is, it will pass. I know that it is expensive but have you considered getting someone to pet sit them during the day? Or at least someone who could check in on them during the day (and maybe help with the clean up, if necessary.)
That, along with baby proofing the house would be my suggestions. And don't fret too much--we've all been there and feel your pain! Young animals are the most destructive little beings on the planet. Fortunately, they grow out of it and the everyday occasions will become once a year occassions (like my cat tipping over the flower vase this morning, dumping water everywhere, b/c she was rubbing up against the flowers. But there isn't a day that I would choose any material possession over her.) Keep your chin up!

Last edited by StarlaJane; 10-17-2009 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Ohhhhh yes, they get into everything! The kitten I rescued last year (H2) was one of the most destructive kittens ever, but he's realized he enjoys ricocheting off the walls more than destroying things now, especially because it makes the little dogs go nuts since they can't do all those crazy cool moves...lol...he's my little athlete! I'm glad you have them in a kitty-proof room, and don't worry...things will get easier & you will all be happy! Thank you for not being a quitter with your little tykes, for loving them enough to work things out even when they've caused so much destruction!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Why did you get pets when you knew you would never be home during the school year?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Your two kitties are beautiful!!! I am glad you are taking steps to cat proofing/confining them, rather than giving them away.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times

I think the one on the left is a bat. The EARS! What a character!

I can sympathize. I have a puppy. He must be supervised or he destroys things, too.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
I'm gad you found a way out of your problem... I thought though being in your sutiation, away from school,and all that someone who was home more could benefit.

I'm releieved that they wont be going way. You are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats