U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM

35 posts, read 74,700 times
Default Kitten with white rice looking worms in feces

I brought over a kitten today from one of the neighbors to play with for a little while and saw white worms in the feces that look like white rice. I just brought this cat over today because we wanted to play with it and also because this cat has a very cautious personality. The cat will run from dogs and will quickly take cover at the sight of a dog. I noticed that the kitten has white rice looking worms in his feces. This was discusting so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a tuna flavored dewormer product. What concerned me is that my wife is pregnant and she was holding the cat on her lap right next to her stomach. I have read that as long as she does not touch the feces, everything should be ok but it still worries me. Could it be harmful to the baby for my wife to hold the kitten that seems to be infested with these worms? I think as long as she does not touch a dirty litter box or directly touch the feces itself, it should be ok. Is this accurate?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM

3,403 posts, read 9,151,424 times
What you are worried about, is called toxoplasmosis.

Transmission of the parasite to an unborn child can occur when the mother gets a primary infection while pregnant. Since oocysts are transmitted by ingestion, in order to contract toxoplasmosis, a woman would have to make contact with contaminated feces in the litter box and then, without washing her hands, touch her mouth or otherwise transmit the contaminated fecal matter to her digestive system.

Unless she happened to somehow ingest one of these butt-worms, the risk is next to none. The risk of a pregnant woman contracting toxoplasmosis in general, is rare. And the risk of your wife being infected by the feces, or in your case, the worms IN the feces, is only applicable if the cat itself makes a habit of eating live mice, birds, or other outdoor animals that run the possibility of being a carrier for it. Since it is not your cat to begin with, you don't know what it eats and what it doesn't. But bare in mind, not all cat feces are dangerous to pregnant women, only the ones that are infected.

Disclaimer, I'm not a doctor. I would have told her to wash her hands thoroughly, and have the cat de-wormed. You can find all this information and more on a few different websites, if it will ease your mind.

Toxoplasmosis Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment on MedicineNet.com
Toxoplasma gondii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toxoplasmosis: MedlinePlus

Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
That kitten has tape worms. The description is a dead give-away. No other type of worm looks like grains of rice. Depending on the age of the kitten, it might be best for the vet to give you the right dosage.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 AM

43 posts, read 60,688 times
Tapeworms is the most deadly worm that can be found in dogs or cats bodies. They can kill the animal if it doesn't get treated to the vet withing 3-4 days. One of my neighbor's cat had tapeworm and they didn't think it was any serious danger to the cat and sadly the cat died within 3 days. Some people may think it is just the food the cat eats and couldn't digest properly so it just comes out like that. But if you know that it is tapeworms, you should best take it to the vet and get the right dosage. Or the poor cat/kitten will suffer and die.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That kitten has tape worms. The description is a dead give-away. No other type of worm looks like grains of rice. Depending on the age of the kitten, it might be best for the vet to give you the right dosage.

Yes. I went thru this last fall. I saw the rice "move" and freaked out. Called the vet and was there within the hour. The treatment is Droncit (sp?) and I would suggest having the vet give the pill. Generally the "head" of the tapeworm will be expelled within a day and that's it...unless there is a re-infection. I vacuumed and washed all sheets and towels and any fabric that had a cat sitting on it.... one cat likes to sleep in the linen closet and I found the very tiny eggs on a towel there! You have to search around to see if any of those have been left behind during the kitten's visit. It is a PITA to clean and check but you don't want to get your own cats infected either.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 AM

622 posts, read 827,111 times
Personally I wouldn't be bringing in strange cats, period! The risk for disease is too great, plus they might hurt the new arrival and then bam! you'd be held accountable for the kitten.

If cat/kitten has worms it can pass onto your other cats. Return the kitten and also I would talk with owners/ let them know about these worms, if they seem lax about it I would offer to buy the kitten from um and take it to a good rescue for de worming/rehoming because they are oviously poor pet owners to have their cat infected with worms and then taken from um.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 AM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
and fwiw ..... treatment from the vet is no more costly than buying otc stuff from the feed store or petco / petsmart.........

and the medication from the vet WORKS..... the otc stuff does NOT......

Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,971,883 times
I agree with everyone here. A trip to the vet is a must for either a pill or a shot.

And it's really not that expensive.

The sooner you treat, the better yoour cat will be.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM

2,548 posts, read 3,461,440 times
Cats get tapeworms from ingesting fleas.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,739,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkWay View Post
I just brought this cat over today because we wanted to play with it and also because this cat has a very cautious personality. The cat will run from dogs and will quickly take cover at the sight of a dog.
Worms aside, bringing a kitten that's afraid of dogs into a house where the dog just killed your last cat strikes me as the height of lunacy.

Wait... don't tell me, the dog was still banished outside. Really? Oh good. How nice for the dog to come back into the house and smell a new, strange cat. The fact there's been an invader in his house while he was banished to the backyard should do wonders for him.

Or better yet... I know! The dog was IN the house to help the kitten overcome its fear of dogs. Now there's a vunderbar idea - a dog that has killed a cat helping a kitten overcome its fear of canines. Geez, I wonder why I hadn't thought of that.

"Not fair" I hear you cry, "there was no food". Doesn't make a damn bit of difference in my book. Your posts on your other thread prove you do not know how to read or interpret canine language, nor is your dog well-trained. Your own posts prove that.

By the grace of God, nothing happened - but not for want of trying on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats