U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:13 PM

15 posts, read 42,447 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

It's me again with my ongoing cat drama. I've decided against making my outdoor boy indoor - its just too deeply ingrained in him. He was an outdoor kitty before I met him and LOVES it, plus he is really cautious and doesn't go far. I have reached a compromise where I keep him in at night - approx 8 pm to 8 am. He is getting used to this, and can still go out and be happy during the day. This problem is in my opinion SOLVED.

However problem 2 now rears its ugly head: indoor kitty has now figured out the cat door and has been going outside during the day. I'd like to stop her from doing this and keep her as an indoor kitty - she is ok with this, has never known any different (until recently), and is really erratic when she's outside.

The trick to doing this is sealing off half the house when I'm not home. That way she can have the front room, living room, and bedroom, and outdoor boy can have his catdoor room, bathroom and kitchen. I'd only have to do this when I'm not home - when I'm home, I can set the catdoor to Entry Only and let outdoor boy out by hand.

So, I need a way to seal the portal from the living room to the kitchen. There is no door just an open doorway, smaller than a normal doorway. I rent, not own, so I dont want to have to drill, but I'll consider it worst case. But first...

Is anyone aware of any non-permanent indoor cat barriers that will stop a climby kitty? Dog barriers stacked sounds hoakey and ineffective to me. I was thinking a huge piece of foam the shape of the door, hehe. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,020,187 times
Here's a thought. You can call up a custom plastic manufacturing place and see what they can come up with for you. But here's a web site that might help. Lustercraft Plastics, Inc.

You may have have to drill or affix a barrier to the doorway somehow. I don't know how handy you are will tools or design.

I think if I cat really wants out they'll tear through foam sooner or later.

Hope this gives you any ideas.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 23,180 times
I agree. they will tear apart the foam. I am looking for something, too. But to divide them in the house. There are too many of mine who are territorial.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM

214 posts, read 386,231 times
I had this problem once, and someone recommended to me a detachable screen door. It basically attaches with velcro, but has a metal frame and metal decoration similar to regular screen doors. I never tried it, though. It was to keep the cat out of the bedroom, but we just let the cat win that battle instead.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM

214 posts, read 386,231 times
Screen Door - Velcro Mounting - Portable Screen Door

Oh, I see now that it doesn't actually have any metal in the middle, so if your kitty has claws it might not work.

-sorry-

Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM

8,602 posts, read 12,203,810 times
Buy three of those expandable barriers that people use to keep the kids from going down the stairs. One on top of another.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,059,989 times
Way back in college we were living in a townhouse with a bunch of people - we had the back area which was supposed to be a living and dining area reached by an open hall from the kitchen. We wanted our cats to stay in our area and the other roommate's cats to stay out. We wound up using a bifold closet door. They are cheap, available in various sizes to fit standard openings, and if you are creative you can rig them up in various ways that don't damage the walls, for instance with velcro, although most LL's would be OK with screws in the walls so long as you remove the door and hardware and take proper care to patch the holes. These are usually designed to slide along a track, but we used a couple of small hinges mounted with those plastic drywall reinforcement things. The door was secured with a simple hook and loop.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 AM

622 posts, read 844,689 times
I would first test the cats for FIV and feline luek. After thats done I would follow the advice listed on here.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM

8,784 posts, read 12,297,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
I would first test the cats for FIV and feline luek. After thats done I would follow the advice listed on here.
The OP isn't asking for advice on testing for FIV and FL, only for advice on separating the cats. Stay on the subject.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,087,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Buy three of those expandable barriers that people use to keep the kids from going down the stairs. One on top of another.
I agree with the gates. We did this at night to keep our cat out of our bedroom. We had one gate to keep our older dog from wandering around the house and getting confused. Then when we got my Dad's dog we added another one on top to keep the new dog and the cat apart. Katie felt safe from big bad Charlie!

We used two gates and she couldn't get over them. Plus they have the rubber tips and haven't marked the wall.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats