Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times

Advertisements

Mike seems somewhat better today. Last night he had difficulty breathing, I gave hime some prednisone, that seemed to help. I crushed it up then mixed it with tuna water, then syringed it down him. He didn't like it, but it seemed to help.

It was a bad, rainy night, we just cuddled up in bed and watched tv, he seemed to enjoy that. He purred and seemed happy.

I bought him a kitty buggy, we took him for some rides today. I'm afraid his outdoor cat days are through, but at least he can get outside and breathe some air and feel sunshine.

I've read what other posters say about quality of life. He was quite the outdoorsman, hunter, etc, now reduced to being pushed around in a buggy. I wouldn't want to go like that. But for right now he seems content, not suffering, we're just giving him time. Its not time yet for him to go. We will know when it is.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,949 times
I'm soooo sorry you're having to experience this especially so close to the holidays. I know exactly how you feel because we just went through it last month. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mike.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
And I just want to add that some of the posters in these type of threads must be some of the best people on the interwebs.
Thanks for that! We really are!
We're here to help.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Pets just aren't pets. They're your kids, and your pals. They don't understand recessions, Wall Street flim flamming, layoffs, or any of those things. They just want to have fun and give companionship and unconditional love. They know when you are hurting, they know when you are celebrating and want to whoop it up right with you.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Mike seems somewhat better today. Last night he had difficulty breathing, I gave hime some prednisone, that seemed to help. I crushed it up then mixed it with tuna water, then syringed it down him. He didn't like it, but it seemed to help.

It was a bad, rainy night, we just cuddled up in bed and watched tv, he seemed to enjoy that. He purred and seemed happy.

I bought him a kitty buggy, we took him for some rides today. I'm afraid his outdoor cat days are through, but at least he can get outside and breathe some air and feel sunshine.

I've read what other posters say about quality of life. He was quite the outdoorsman, hunter, etc, now reduced to being pushed around in a buggy. I wouldn't want to go like that. But for right now he seems content, not suffering, we're just giving him time. Its not time yet for him to go. We will know when it is.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
I think our furchildren try hard not to show how ill they really are because they are trying to please us. I also think there comes a time in their decline......and it seems it is right after we make the decision to send them to the Rainbow Bridge(can they read our minds?)that they gather their last bit of strength to rally their body so we see the "healthy" furkid they once were. Maybe it's to help us remember them during better times,but we need to follow through our decision and help them depart with the dignity,kindness and love they so highly deserve.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
They don't understand recessions, Wall Street flim flamming, layoffs, or any of those things. They just want to have fun and give companionship and unconditional love.
So very true. I remember 9-11 for a lot of reasons, one of which my coming home for lunch, feeling like I just got punched in the stomach. Cosmo was about 6 months old at the time. He'd sleep upstairs somewhere when we were gone and run down the stairs when he heard the door. I saw him bounding down as usual that day, and thought, 'Man, you are so lucky to not know what is happening'.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
marylee54: I do believe you will understand when it is time. My best to you and Mike.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM

283 posts, read 892,640 times
Marylee, I don't have any words of wisdom because this is such a difficult decision. My kitty is my first pet and I have not gone through what your going through. All I can offer is hugs and support during this time.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Have you considered radioactive iodine therapy for the thyroid condition? This cures the thyroid condition, eliminating the need for either the cream or pills. It's been 2 years already and he is doing great. Our cat was skin and bones and is now robust and happy. It's about a $1000. I would ask the doctor if it is a viable option.

Last edited by MissNM; 10-27-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Typo - as usual

Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Have you considered radioactive iodine therapy for the thyroid condition? This cures the thyroid condition, eliminating the need for either the cream or pills. It's been 2 years already and he is doing great. Our cat was skin and bones and is now robust and happy. It's about a $1000. I would ask the doctor if it is a viable option.

I will ask at the vet tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Mike might have a few good years left if we can get the thyroid under control.

He seemed better today. I took him for a ride in his pet stroller, he seemed more alert after that and actually ate about 1/2 a small can of food. He acted like he wanted to eat more but didn't, I think his teeth are bothering him. They said they didn't want to do dental work due to his frail health, but we found another vet who thinks they could with proper support. They sugggested a echo first.

He does seem to be rallying somewhat tonight. Its not time to go, he's putting up a fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats