Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,236,481 times

Advertisements

We called the vet and she recommended another mobile vet. She also needed to know about the first one, since she recommended her.

The second one was totaly different. They can come Friday or Saturday, right now its set for Sat. They sound really good. I realize its a business, and their time, money, schedule, etc, are all considerations, but they could be nicer about it. The first one was uspet that I'd called her 3x's today, hey I just left messages, just to please call back, nothing weird or harassing.

Well, forget her. Right now Mike seems a little better, but that's just a temporary thing. I've had other cats die, I let them go too long, then they suffered terribly at the end. Let him go while life is still good, while pain meds still work, while he still knows his surroundings and knows he's loved. We had a cat we let go to long, I found her splayed in her food bowl, panting, barely conscious, I tok herto an ER clinic, she went in pain and suffering. Euthanasia is to prevent suffering, it doesn't work if you wait too late.

meanwhile just love him. Daddy is coming home Thursday night to say goodbye (he currently works in another city). I took him for another stroller ride today. I'm glad I got that stroller, at least he can get outside.

Thanks for everyone's kind words, this is a time to get through. He's been such a good kitty. He deserves a good end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,203,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
We called the vet and she recommended another mobile vet. She also needed to know about the first one, since she recommended her.

The second one was totaly different. They can come Friday or Saturday, right now its set for Sat. They sound really good. I realize its a business, and their time, money, schedule, etc, are all considerations, but they could be nicer about it. The first one was uspet that I'd called her 3x's today, hey I just left messages, just to please call back, nothing weird or harassing.

Well, forget her. Right now Mike seems a little better, but that's just a temporary thing. I've had other cats die, I let them go too long, then they suffered terribly at the end. Let him go while life is still good, while pain meds still work, while he still knows his surroundings and knows he's loved. We had a cat we let go to long, I found her splayed in her food bowl, panting, barely conscious, I tok herto an ER clinic, she went in pain and suffering. Euthanasia is to prevent suffering, it doesn't work if you wait too late.

meanwhile just love him. Daddy is coming home Thursday night to say goodbye (he currently works in another city). I took him for another stroller ride today. I'm glad I got that stroller, at least he can get outside.

Thanks for everyone's kind words, this is a time to get through. He's been such a good kitty. He deserves a good end.
I have let some go too long in the past also, while we are well meaning but it can be/get confusing. I have tried to learn to understand them better. I used to work for a Vet, every scenario is different..
You are a wonderful person, sending lots of hugs and thinking of you and your Kitty.

P.S. our Cat is 17 although you wouldn't know it most days lol, albeit we know her time could be any time, the way Cats are.
Lost our Dog 13 years old last summer, very sudden but knew it was coming.
We were able to get her to the Vet, no suffering really.

Last edited by Summerz; 10-28-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM

He seems to be holding in there, no better, but no worse. His breathing is difficult. He enjoys laying on my bed watching TV. Poor thing, has only a few days left, but we've decided to end his suffering. Thanks for all the kind words.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
My heart breaks for you and my prayers are with you and Mike.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
I know it's difficult for you, to see him like this.

Let me throw myself onto the top of the pile her and add another big huge ::virtual hug:: to you!!

And believe me, it means the world to him, that you're taking such attentive care to him, he won't ever forget that. If you do ever decide to take him out of his misery, he will love you in the end for it as well, because it is out of your love for him, that you are making the decision to end his pain.

I, like the above stated, would strongly suggest you ask him. Wait for the day you look into his eyes and he tells you its ok. If he still wants to be a trooper through these particularly difficult days, then march along with him, and cherish every moment.

He told me today he wants to go. I could see in his eyes the struggle is too much. Each breath is difficult. He had a look in his eyes a few days ago that's gone now. The death of a pet is so difficult, at least for us. We're losing a member of our family. The other cats seem to know, too. They try to cuddle, and groom him. He was top cat in the pride, now he's going.

But I talked to him today and told him its alright to go to the bridge, I really think he understands. For tonight, just another night we will cuddle, watch old movies, and enjoy what;s left.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM

754 posts, read 1,733,146 times
marylee I just want to offer my prayers and support. I am a pet owner and animal lover and can only begin to imagine the turmoil and pain you must be feeling.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
marylee: Sometimes you just have to do what has to be done. I've been through it several times, and it never gets any easier. But you are doing the right thing for Mike.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
I'm so sorry to hear about Mike. Its not easy, even when you know his time is coming. Always remember the good times with him.

As for your daughter, I think she'll make a fine vet. From your other post, I think she went through a "growing up" period where she was seeing this first hand. As children, we hear of or see people or pets pass away but we don't get it and we try to protect ourselves by sidestepping the situation. As we get older, things happen where we realize it is happening. I have a feeling your daughter finally understood what was happening but tried to protect herself from the bad feelings but finally came around. Like you said, you've been through all sorts of things so when you need to, you can do what you need to do. She just started entering that phase, so give her time.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,300,546 times
Recall the good times you had with your friend. Best of hopes and wishes for you in this time.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,505,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I apologize if this post doesn't belong here since it isn't about a cat.
Love and compassion are the same, whether it's a cat, a dog, or a gerbil.

I loved hearing about the dead mouse. I would have done the same.

The lesson is to relish every single good moment. And there are good moments even in dying. I know Mike will feel a sense of peace when his time comes. My prayers are with MaryLee in hopes she feels the same peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats