Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Two days ago I saw the oddest sight as I looked out of the window. A local teenager was riding his bike on the main road with a black cat draped over his shoulders who looked exactly like my "Miss Tilly" but who I couldn't imagine riding so precariously with a stranger.

The kid rode into the parking lot of the adjacent commercial property, got off his bike, carried the cat up a steep incline and dropped it over a tall chain link boundary fence. He waited for a moment, said something to the cat and then walked back down the hill, got on his bike and rode off.

I was half-dressed and it all happened so quickly.

Fifteen minutes later I saw the cat had hopped back over the fence and was entertaining itself in the parking are of the rural commercial property. Chasing leaves, pouncing and obviously having a good time. It was all too odd. All my cats are rescues and Tilly had come from this 'hood but was unique in being totally black when most of the ferals are homogenous mixes of colors - tabbies, calicos, "island Siamese" varieties, etc.

Less than an hour later I looked out into my customer parking lot and noticed a black cat playing underneath the custard apple tree. Tilly often hangs out in the lot and it was time for dinner anyway so I went out back and looked through my fence to see Tilly laying in the middle of the lot and the OTHER black cat several yards away from her.

I called Tilly in for dinner, she came running and leaped over the fence into the back yard - with the other black cat right behind her. He sat there and introduced himself by licking my proffered hand through the fence while Tilly "nosed" him through the fence and "Baby Max" curiously came over to do the same thing.

By the time the two of them followed me to the back door, the stranger black cat was right behind them. I fed the outside cats and then the inside four and gave Strange Black Cat a can of food separately outside which he scoffed down in a heartbeat. What was interesting was that neither the inside nor the outside cats seemed particularly bothered by his presence and both groups are usually quite territorial. All girls, all spayed, they will often chase off other ferals or else be intimidated by some rogues.

To cut a long story short, the little black cat has made himself quite at home. A young male, he'll be off to the vet in the next week to be fixed. I estimate he's 3-4 months old and he's a total lover.

The girls don't purr loudly, rather "vibrate" while this little guy purrs like a traction engine at full throttle. I got a very bad night's sleep last night as, although he goes out like a light, he awakened twice and came crawling up to my head purring like a maniac while sticking his nose right inside my ear and then gently nibbling my earlobe. Getting back to sleep with a loud engine noise coursing through the brain along with warm saliva in the ear-hole isn't easy ...

I showed him the litter box and he immediately knew what it was for and he's admirably dealing with some of the minor angst directed towards him by the girls, knows his place as a newbie.

Although the name "Joseph" (coat of many colors not!) has come to mind and might stick, the immediate frivolous names include, "Velcro", "Super Glue" and "Leech" as he's completely stuck next to me and only ventures max 4' outside the door.

I know that so many who either post here or who just lurk and read are, like me, animal rescuers. I trap, spay and neuter and release feline ferals and I also rescue their prey and have rescued dogs too and even a donkey a few years ago.

I'm so far from wealthy and basically live hand to mouth but I can only assume that these animals simply "know" something instinctively. That I'm a sucker? Possibly, but I rather doubt it and I'm not a sucker where humans are concerned and don't think I'm a sucker where other animals are concerned either.

Thanks for reading, listening and hopefully hearing. Kudos to all of you who do what I do, and keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm so far from wealthy and basically live hand to mouth but I can only assume that these animals simply "know" something instinctively. That I'm a sucker? Possibly, but I rather doubt it
For what it is worth... I have always found that animals react (and in a lot of different ways) to whatever sense of security/safety they feel at a certain place. I can only assume they pick it up from the other animals there - I don't think there's any real way of telling the "what" or the "why", but I've seen it time and time again. (And "sucker" doesn't enter into it. ) They feel safe and they react to that.

The "symptom" I'm most familiar with is that they allow themselves to get sick - sometimes very sick. After who-knows-how-long living rough, or being chased and needing every nerve to be on full alert ALL the time, they'll get somewhere where they know they're safe and *poof* - it's as if they just let go. They worked so hard to stay in one piece for so long, it's almost a collapse. It's as if it's some bridge they have to cross so they can start healing - in the fullest sense of the word.

What exactly they know and how they know it will just have to remain one of life's great mysteries, but they very definitely do know.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
The "symptom" I'm most familiar with is that they allow themselves to get sick - sometimes very sick. After who-knows-how-long living rough, or being chased and needing every nerve to be on full alert ALL the time, they'll get somewhere where they know they're safe and *poof* - it's as if they just let go. They worked so hard to stay in one piece for so long, it's almost a collapse. It's as if it's some bridge they have to cross so they can start healing - in the fullest sense of the word.

What exactly they know and how they know it will just have to remain one of life's great mysteries, but they very definitely do know.
I do know what you're saying and have gone through that a few times with ferals. I have a couple of stories in that vein.

And these cats don't "allow" themselves to get sick. Whether they're born feral and live in the bush or someone took care of them but didn't ensure that they were spayed/neutered or given even basic shots, they often carry the HIV virus while some of them develop full-blown AIDS. Feline leukemia is almost nothing here compared to the former but is nonetheless a problem.

This little guy isn't sick at all but, again, I know what you're talking about. He's already been treated with "Revolution" which I had on hand, and will be off to the vet next week to be fixed and get his basic shots.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
They just seem to know don't they! Every cat that gets dropped off in my neighborhood ends up on my door step begging to come in. I even had a neighbors cat sitting on my doorstep for TWO years begging to come in and live here, she (the cat) always knew she belonged here and never gave up until it happened. Now I have a beautiful black velcro baby that shows me every day how much she appreciates me taking her in, always in my lap loving me, sleeps with me every night, always by my side or in my lap.

When these others show up, Samantha is at the door looking at them, then me, begging me to let them in like I did her. She has never forgotten her previous life and begs me to take them all in.. It breaks my heart that I can't..

She wants them all to enjoy the comfort and love she has found here...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
and will be off to the vet next week to be fixed and get his basic shots.
And will glare the most evil glare out at you from the cat carrier while muttering "liar, liar pants on fire" to himself.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
Thanks for sharing your story. Great for you and all of your cats!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
And will glare the most evil glare out at you from the cat carrier while muttering "liar, liar pants on fire" to himself.
Nah! It's never happened!

Whether spayed or neutered, inside out outside or a combo, they're a content bunch. The feral feline population has diminished big time (12 years now and still keeping up!) and only rare incidents of fight-related abscesses from squirls with "rogues."

Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
I love this thread! You all are heroes for the great and loving work you do.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Are you a sucker? Most certainly not. You are someone who helps those who can't help themselves - thank you for that. I wish there were more people like you in the world.... it surely would be a better one.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Great story Best wishes to Tilly and her new friend Joseph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats