U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,596,166 times

Advertisements

We got our 2 female kittens spayed Monday the 16th.

Turtle is fine. Runt has been sleeping most of the time. She threw up Monday and she threw up again tonight. She can't seem to keep any food down.

What's worse, she is very good at hiding. I would give her her medicine tonight, but she disappears for hours at a time and she is impossible to find. I plan to call the vet in the morning. Is this sickness normal? Can I do anything for her tonight?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found her. She was hiding in the cat carrier of all places. She got her dose of Amoxicillan for tonight. She has to have 2 more doses (1/2 mL each) tomorrow.

She has been alert and purring most of today.

EDIT: The area around her stitch looks a little bit puffy and is a bit darker than her sister's.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-17-2009 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,864,492 times
By all means call the vet, but I wouldn't panic yet.

Each animal is going to react differently to the anesthetic - and one that's had a bad reaction can take longer than 24 hrs to recover from it. Throwing up after an anesthetic is quite common. You can limit her to bland food for a day or two, but usually that's not even necessary.

Some will come out of a surgery and you'd never have known they were even in. Others will throw up and be groggy for a good day or so afterward.

Keep an eye on her as best you can, but she's probably just sleeping it off somewhere.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Actually she's in my lap purring and rubbing all over me.

She's in a good mood. She just can't keep food down.

The pic is blurry because it wouldn't show up when I used flash

You can see the incision there in the center right of the photo, and to the right of that (just left of the nipple) is a little hard bulge there. I'm not sure if that is normal.

From yesterday
Runt

Turtle

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-17-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 AM

622 posts, read 1,414,049 times
I would fast her for a day or so. no more then that.

It would also be a good idea if possible to upgrade the food if you havn't already done so. Canned is better then dry,.

Here are some good choices.

Innova EVO

Instincts

Welness core/ or wellness grain free

Natures logic

Ziwi peak

A raw diet is the best but stick with a pre made such as natures vartiety- do research and if cat is FIV+ bad idea!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,864,492 times
If you're at all worried about the cat, call your vet and get some advice over the phone. You should never feel silly or embarrassed to call and ask questions if you're concerned - they went to vet school to know the answers! You can make them feel they're tuition was well-spent.

Little bulges or "knots" aren't uncommon - most times it's just localised swelling especially if she has internal stitches.

But you're there looking at her, everyone else here is just "out there somewhere" and you're the one who needs the peace of mind.

How's she doing this a.m.?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM

She's eating now. Cross your fingers. Actually I looked for her and didn't find her. I found her when I heard her meowing from a bedroom. Someone accidentally locked her in there this morning.

I called the vet. They said keep an eye on her and if she throws up again give them a call. I'm leaving about 10, though. I'll be back this afternoon. But the vet wanted to check her temperature if I could bring her back in, which is easier said than done with our schedules.

She's sitting on the gerbil cage. One of the other cats tried to jump up there and she hissed at him. She's cleaning herself. It's about 10 minutes since she ate and so far no vomit.

Called the vet back. They said as long as she is eating, she should be fine.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 11-18-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM

622 posts, read 1,414,049 times
Be wary on normal vet claims on food. Holistic vets are better for diet.

Garbage food = sick cats =$$ MONEY to them.

But as far as behavior/ physical issues..... yep they are great.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM

24,671 posts, read 57,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Be wary on normal vet claims on food. Holistic vets are better for diet.

Garbage food = sick cats =$$ MONEY to them.

But as far as behavior/ physical issues..... yep they are great.
Nonsense! I've been fixing and feeding ferals and rescues for over 30 years and if they haven't managed to reach average 16+ years of age it has nothing to do with the food they've been given.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,524,755 times
Yep cat foods by brand names are formulaed but some cats need special food for specail problems.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 PM

7,049 posts, read 8,539,598 times
I went through this same thing with my kitten after she was spayed. In her case she ended up having to have SubQ liquids and a 10-day course of Clavamox, along with some force-feeding. No idea what the problem was as her surgical site was perfectly fine and she was fine the first 48 hrs. Anyway, that's all behind us now and she is taking her job as 'chief torturer/teaser of the dog' very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats