Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I am giving my cat steroids (pill form of prednisolone - 1 pill/day) along with 5mg of Pepcid AC twice daily to counter the development of stomach ulcers. If the vet thinks that your cat might have developed (or will develop) stomach ulcers why didn't they prescribe something to counter it?

I know how difficult this must be for you and I wish you both the best.
We gave Simon prednisolone this week only, in the past they gave him steroid shots which is the same but it lasts 6 weeks. I guess it can cause stomach ulcers but they give it to get rid of the inflamation. The treatment can cause problems as well. We also give Simon Previced for indegestion.

He got another steroid shot today so we don't need to give him the pill. It's suppose to do the same thing. We will still be giving him the Previced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Janelle, how is Simon?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Janelle, how is Simon?
Well he was improving a bit with the force feeding and watering but tonight I am wondering how much longer we need to make him suffer. he growls and fights the feeding---who wouldn't.

I would be willing to keep it going for a long time but he may be telling me to let him go. How is your cat doing?

They could insert a feeding tube so we could just pour food into it but that is not a good thing to put him through either. He still needs his meds so as not to throw up. I wish he was older so the decision would be easier to make.

He has always been my bodyguard---at least he thinks so and it will be hard to let him go.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well he was improving a bit with the force feeding and watering but tonight I am wondering how much longer we need to make him suffer. he growls and fights the feeding---who wouldn't.

I would be willing to keep it going for a long time but he may be telling me to let him go. How is your cat doing?

They could insert a feeding tube so we could just pour food into it but that is not a good thing to put him through either. He still needs his meds so as not to throw up. I wish he was older so the decision would be easier to make.

He has always been my bodyguard---at least he thinks so and it will be hard to let him go.
The force feeding and watering is extremely difficult - I've done it before so I am speaking from experience. They don't like it one bit - I can't blame them. It sounds like he doesn't have an appetite. Steroids usually increase the appetite.

Have you thought about trying another vet that might have an endoscope? It may make any decisions that you have to make easier knowing what exactly is wrong with him.

My cat is doing better but I think that she will have to have another procedure. My goal is for her to be able to eat wet food or small kibbled size dry food without regurgitating.

My thoughts are with you both.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM

My vet said I would need to go to KC or Oklahoma City for the endoscopy to be done, He can't find one small enough in town here to do one. I may call around just to find out about that.

If Simon's ears or third eys starts to show yellow then that means he has liver disease from not eating and I don't believe they can be cured from that. I feel so sorry for him.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
This was originally posted in November. I have not read the whole thing but I have arrested MANY a feline and human digestive problems using Slippery Elm which is a mucilaginous herb that normalizes the digestive tract. It stops vomiting, loose bowels and even constipation. All you do is mix in 1/8 the adult dose into your cat's food. It calms and soothes. It works much better than those nasty drugs with all their various and sundry side effects. Its best to mix it with some water as well. If you are taking it yourself, take three capsules with a glass of water three times a day if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats