U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,248,704 times

Advertisements

It's almost time to get a tree and I'm looking for some helpful tips. This year will be me and dh 19th christmas together with cats and so far we've only had the tree knocked down one time. However, I can see a problem this year with Samson. He'll be 7 months old in a week and has NOT slowed down once. I was online looking for a new christmas tree stand and have not found what I am looking for. I want to keep them from drinking the tree water and make sure the tree doesn't topple over. I'm thinking I may have to adapt the current tree stand and I wanted to know what every one else does with their trees and cats.

I learned from the first tree going over to not have any breakable ornaments. I really, really want to keep them out of the water, so if any one knows of a good tree stand or has any ideas how to keep them out of the water, I will be forever grateful. Also, how do you keep the tree from being knocked over? I just know Samson will go ballistic when we bring the tree inside because he thinks that EVERY thing is a toy! I was thinking of putting the tree up and not decorating it for 3 days to give my little fiend time to adjust to it.

One more thing...a fake tree is out of the question! I grew up with a fake xmas tree but dh didn't and refuses to even consider it. I would be ok with it but he won't, I already suggested it and was told no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,181,409 times
Wow, great question OW

Only thing I can think of is maybe tucking or hanging Bitter Apple or citrus scented "ornaments" on there? Tuck them in the low, inner branches (even if they are car fresheners to hang low -- they should make citrus scented ones.)
There may also be pet-safe citrus sprays you could spray along the floor there.

And, I don't know if it's beneficial to the tree or not, but adding something doused with vinegar in or around the water? They generally despise both these scents.

There's always the ol' double-sided sticky tape you could put around the perimiter, too. That would get on their nerves big-time and hopefully they'll avoid the area before long.

Last edited by Travel'r; 11-27-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 02:58 PM

479 posts, read 1,344,645 times
Our cats play with the tree, but haven't knocked it over. Make sure you have a good stand.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,663,401 times
Wow-I guess we have been really lucky. Even as a kitten to now at 8 yrs old she never bothered the tree.
She just loves to sleep underneath it on the tree skirt.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM

603 posts, read 1,753,044 times
we use fishing line to keep it from being tipped over.never had a problem since we started doing that.weve learned to put breakable ornaments higher up.they all think the christmas tree is a giant toy.i cant offer any advice about them drinking from it because i still havent figured that out yet.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Wow-I guess we have been really lucky. Even as a kitten to now at 8 yrs old she never bothered the tree.
She just loves to sleep underneath it on the tree skirt.
We have 4 cats and Samson is the only one I'm worried about. I've never had a kitten like him before and I've been around cats since I was little. He's so full of energy and gets into every thing. He's so fast and he can jump high and far. We weighed him last night and he's 8.5 pounds. So I have a feeling if he jumps in the tree he might knock it down. I guess I'm trying to Samson proof the tree!

You're lucky to have such a well behaved kitty!

Old 11-28-2009, 05:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,032 times
If you want to keep the kitty out of the tree, put the tree in a room where you can close a door lol. I also perviously had a large round base stand that would support a large tree and the cats never knocked it over with that stand--not to say its not possible. My boys just like to sleep in the middle of the tree near the trunk. I do have a artificial tree, my cats are curious but really only for a few days....my worry this year is the same as yours, our newest addition Sidney. My plan of action is to put the tree up on Wednesday when he goes to the vet to get neutered (if I can convince myself it is okay to leave the vets parking lot!). My thought was maybe he wont notice it until he is feeling better and have no interest in it---mostly I think they are curious about the assembly of the tree--my husband however thinks there is no hope and he will live in it until we take it down. So, since it is pre-lit, I will just leave it in the front window with no decorations and see how that goes...otherwise if I do want to hang decorations I will have to convince my husband to start searching quicker for replacement pocket doors in our old house that someone ripped out so we can close them out of the room when not at home or when asleep, till then, the tree is free game lol!
We will probably both be posting pictures of our fur babies hanging out in their first Christmas tree!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,458,195 times
I used cup hooks screwed into the wall to tie my tree in place when I had one that wanted to climb the tree..That worked for me.

My daughter used a spray bottle and shot hers with water everytime she touched the tree the first year she had her cat. The second year she only had to squirt her once to remind her not to touch the tree and has not had a problem since. It was so funny, my daughter had a squirt bottle that would squirt across the room so she could squirt her no matter where she sat. Even that first year it only took 3 squirts to make the kitty realize touching the tree made her get WET! Just use plain water and a spray bottle set on stream so the cat will not know WHERE the water came from. The stunned look on Annies face when she got "wet" was just the funniest thing you ever saw! Have the video camera ready if you want some funny video.

As to how to keep yours from drinking the water.. could you get a big plastic bowl, cut a hole in the bottom for the tree to go through and turn that bowl upside down to cover the water well for the tree? Or wrap plastic around the trunk of the tree (secure with tape at the trunk.) to cover the water of the tree? OR again, use the spray bottle?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:00 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Years ago I got 4 or 5 of these cute little Victorian stuffed-animal ornaments, and sure enough, my kitty Pounce (may she rest in peace) thought they were meant for her. They did resemble cat toys. She kept batting them off the tree, and I kept putting them back. I did put them towards the bottom because I worried that she'd attack the entire tree if they were too high.
Eventually, it seemed to me that she finally lost interest.
Well, it finally came time to move out of that house, and when we lifted the couch, there were two of those little ornaments, right where she'd left them.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Hartwell Girl...I think you're right, we'll be putting pictures on here of Sidney and Samson IN the trees! I'll keep you and Sidney in my thoughts this week as he gets "snipped". I think it's worse on us than it is on them. It's so hard to just leave them at the vet...I always cry, I'm a big mush too.

Laura707...I like the idea of the cup hooks and putting a large bowl ever the tree well. I'm going out today and will see if I can find one large enough. Thank you.

BlueWillowPlate...I probably would have cried when I found the ornaments.

Oh yeah, using a squirt bottle won't work with Samson. He loves water and tries to get in the shower with me. Just last night he was trying to open the shower door and join me. Goofy kitten.

Am I worrying too much about them drinking the tree water? I've used aluminum foil before to cover it and that lasts about 3 days! My kitties are only afraid of it when it comes out of the box...once it's out they forget they are supposed to be afraid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or