Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettechone View Post
I am a Veterinary Technician and I know it is perfectly safe to use fish antibiotics, I have a medical background so therefore I can look at a animal and tell what is wrong with it and know what meds to treat it with.
Dear heavens, did you actually say this? I'm sure the veterinarian you work for consults with you regularly about difficult-to-treat cases.

Yes, let's all buy antibiotics and give them to ourselves and our pets whenever we have a cold or are otherwise sick, because we "know" just by looking at ourselves or our pet that it has a bacterial infection. Right. And of course, we also "know" that amoxicillin is the correct antibiotic to kill the bacteria that we are so certain are present. To heck with niceties like culture and sensitivity lab tests. Who needs them when we are just so darn smart? And then when the next superbug comes along that eventually responds to nothing, we can all look in the mirror and point at ourselves as the cause.

I prescribe antibiotics for my patients. I do so warily, based on EVIDENCE. I don't want any of us to wind up with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. Go back and read the post from the person who got MRSA after surgery. 20-25 years ago, MRSA was rare enough that you could present a paper at a medical conference when you encountered it. Now, it is extremely common both inside and outside the hospital.

P.S. Yes, I do realize the original posts were a bit older. I just cannot stay silent when people are advocating indiscriminate use of antibiotics. The issue of antibiotic resistance is just too big and too important and potentially too deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,823 times
How would you mix fishmox 500mgcaps
For cats and correct dosages for kittens
And adult cats

Old 05-04-2018, 12:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coolz View Post
And adult cats
You take them to the vet, get them accurately diagnosed, and get the appropriate prescription from the vet.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
And adult cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You take them to the vet, get them accurately diagnosed, and get the appropriate prescription from the vet.
Please follow this advice.^^^

Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Dear heavens, did you actually say this? I'm sure the veterinarian you work for consults with you regularly about difficult-to-treat cases.

Yes, let's all buy antibiotics and give them to ourselves and our pets whenever we have a cold or are otherwise sick, because we "know" just by looking at ourselves or our pet that it has a bacterial infection. Right. And of course, we also "know" that amoxicillin is the correct antibiotic to kill the bacteria that we are so certain are present. To heck with niceties like culture and sensitivity lab tests. Who needs them when we are just so darn smart? And then when the next superbug comes along that eventually responds to nothing, we can all look in the mirror and point at ourselves as the cause.

I prescribe antibiotics for my patients. I do so warily, based on EVIDENCE. I don't want any of us to wind up with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. Go back and read the post from the person who got MRSA after surgery. 20-25 years ago, MRSA was rare enough that you could present a paper at a medical conference when you encountered it. Now, it is extremely common both inside and outside the hospital.

P.S. Yes, I do realize the original posts were a bit older. I just cannot stay silent when people are advocating indiscriminate use of antibiotics. The issue of antibiotic resistance is just too big and too important and potentially too deadly.

I am the person who had the MRSA infection after hip surgery in 2004...... that required a port in the vein by my collarbone and IV Vancomycin 2x day for 8 weeks...... at least the port made blood draws for my weekly blood tests easy!! Oh, yeah..... almost forgot about the wound vac I had to haul around for those 8 weeks, too.....

and right now, I am caring for a friend's dog as she recuperates from her THIRD knee replacement. She got infections that required removal of the previous two implants and long hospitalizations for extremely powerful antibiotic treatment. When we go see her, we are required to put on gowns and gloves before we enter her room..... She has been enduring this process since last August and we are saying only half-jokingly that third time's the charm.....

Old 05-04-2018, 02:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
And adult cats
I have done this for MYSELF. Not the brightest decision, BUT I am an adult that made the decision for myself.
Whether one knows the exact dosage or not... I would NEVER give my cats or dogs an antibiotic, with having NO CLUE what ails them.

Please, please, PLEASE take your pet to a vet.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
It depends. Some vitamins are passed out harmlessly in the urine if someone takes too much. Others can cause toxicity if there's an overdose. You really have to know what you're dealing with.

I have 2 big problems with antibiotics being used over the counter. The first is that you can harm the patient. I have a relative who nearly died (the er nurses words, not mine) after incorrectly using an antibiotic. She had a case of strep throat and discontinued her antibiotics when she started feeling better. As a result, the stronger bacteria that survived the treatment multiplied like crazy and she ended up with a massive infection in her bloodstream. Also, not all antibiotics treat all bacteria. If you are using the wrong one, then it can delay the treatment that the patient needs.

On a related note, people using antibiotics incorrectly contributes to a problem that is huge in human medicine and we're even starting to see in veterinary medicine. Antibiotic resistance isn't something most people need to think about on a daily basis. It's easy to ignore. However, when your loved one (human or animal) needs high-powered antibiotics that can damage the liver and/or kidneys to treat a bacterial infection that should easily have been treated with something much milder...then it becomes very real. People who treat their viral colds with antibiotics and who treat their animals without knowing the correct dose and duration of treatment contribute to this problem.

Agree wholeheartedly.....

Watch for cd posters recommending vitamins, herbs, etc. without proper knowledge. One poster insisted a dialysis pt. take a herb that the dr voiced was a contraindication for the pt. You really can't be too careful. Best to check with your MD on any supplements prior to using them, including antibiotics for fish.

And don't direct someone's medical care here on cd. That's the physician's job.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
You all are replying to old posts. This is the most recent one:

Quote:
And adult cats

Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
You all are replying to old posts. This is the most recent one:
Yes, that's the one Catsmom & I responded to. I just hope he/she took the advice.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I have done this for MYSELF. Not the brightest decision, BUT I am an adult that made the decision for myself.
Whether one knows the exact dosage or not... I would NEVER give my cats or dogs an antibiotic, with having NO CLUE what ails them.

Please, please, PLEASE take your pet to a vet.
People/animals take antibiotics all the time. If there is something else going on, sure take kitty to a vet. Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats